GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Performance Issues"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 02/02/04 at 17:38
Regular
"Dunemaul NE Hunter"
Ok...recently I formatted my hard drive becase of all the bugs and clogged up space. However after re-installing Windows ME and Call of Duty...I noticed a severe drop in performance, most noticably on the larger areas such as Stalingrad. I have a P4 1.4Ghz, 128mb Ge Force FX 5200 and 640Mb of RAM, this should not be happening. Before I formatted my hard drive CoD worked perfectly fine and was very smooth. I have installed the latest drivers for my graphics card, however I still have a lower performance. Strangely enough.....Star Wars Galaxies works better than ever. I just seems to be effecting CoD and KOTOR. Any tips on why it might be like this. Thanks :)
Wed 04/02/04 at 23:21
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Pfff, XP is by far the best OS from Microsoft.
Wed 04/02/04 at 23:19
Regular
I had it and went back to Windows 2000 PRO, thought it was a complete waste of CPU power and RAM. Windows 2000 has fewer background apps running, is overall a more solid OS in my opinion and it doesn't contain lots of media themes and colours which ultimately clog up your PC.
Wed 04/02/04 at 23:14
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
béSSánt ©opy®ight™ wrote:
> *cough*i have it aren't i great*cough*

Every man and his dog has XP pro, it really isnt an elite society.
Wed 04/02/04 at 23:10
Regular
"Subway Monkey"
For the lower end graphics cards, try lowering the 'corpse level' they give your systems resources a bashing. Since in the Russian campaign, many Russians died, so there were loads of corpes, try it.
Mon 02/02/04 at 23:30
"I love yo... lamp."
béSSánt ©opy®ight™ wrote:
> everything needs to be balanced for everthing to work fast.
> as well as if you have win xp things run faster and if you
> have win xp pro *cough*i have it aren't i great*cough* you
> should have a very slight extra speed and advanced
> networking/internet
> settings.

XP Pro doesn't run faster than Home Edition. Pro has more services and background processes running.

But you are right about it having more networking options.
Mon 02/02/04 at 23:13
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Neo Keyboard wrote:
> I know my graphics card is not that good...however the game DID run
> perfectly well using it...and even ran more smoothly with a GeForce 4
> 64Mb MX440. I'ts nothing to do with my specs...as the game worked
> fine before i formatted. Is there ne thing after formatting the PC
> that could cause a drop in performance.

Depends what drivers you had previously. If you had older graphics card drivers than the ones now then there may be a problem with running CoD. A fresh install should run things better if the same drivers are reinstalled etc. Maybe you have a higher setting in game than you had before, a higher resolution etc.
Mon 02/02/04 at 20:35
Regular
"Dunemaul NE Hunter"
I know my graphics card is not that good...however the game DID run perfectly well using it...and even ran more smoothly with a GeForce 4 64Mb MX440. I'ts nothing to do with my specs...as the game worked fine before i formatted. Is there ne thing after formatting the PC that could cause a drop in performance.
Mon 02/02/04 at 18:55
Regular
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Alastair, are you seriously comparing a 1.4ghz PC with a crappy
> Geforce FX 5200 with your 2.2Ghz 1Gb RAM system running a Radeon
> 9800XT?
>
> OF COURSE YOUR PC WILL RUN IT FINE! YOU HAVE PROBABLY THE FINEST
> GRAPHICS CARD ON THE MARKET!!

You know why? It was only a few weeks a go when I had the same card as Neo and I knew my restrictions with the game and when frame rate problems would occur.
Mon 02/02/04 at 18:36
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
everything needs to be balanced for everthing to work fast.
as well as if you have win xp things run faster and if you
have win xp pro *cough*i have it aren't i great*cough* you
should have a very slight extra speed and advanced networking/internet
settings.
Mon 02/02/04 at 18:31
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
microsoft's computer levels (which would be approprite) are:

2000xp+ or pentuim 4 running at 2000mhz
512mb of ram at 333mhz or pc2700
and 128mb graphics

seems like the only area of "lag" is cpu
and hhd should be over 3500rpm

which i guess it would be...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.