GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The right to vote"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 04/02/07 at 17:34
Regular
"Author of Pain"
Here's a question for you all. Should the right to vote be universal? Should we all be allowed to have our say on government simply because we are 18 years or older?

Opinions welcome.
Sun 04/02/07 at 17:34
Regular
"Author of Pain"
Here's a question for you all. Should the right to vote be universal? Should we all be allowed to have our say on government simply because we are 18 years or older?

Opinions welcome.
Sun 04/02/07 at 18:07
Regular
I find it insulting that good students like myself are not allowed to vote but college dropouts working in McDonalds are.
Mon 05/02/07 at 00:42
Regular
Well, Alfonse, regardless if they're dropouts and working at McDonald's, they're tax-paying contributors to our blessed society and that makes their vote worth more than someone who's still living off of student loan stipends FROM the government.. Well, that's my take anyway. It would be interesting to actually hear from a government official, preferrably one running for office, as to exactly why it is that the right to vote is restricted from students.

I've never heard of such a thing on this side of the pond, in any case.
Mon 05/02/07 at 00:55
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Alfonse wrote:
> I find it insulting that good students like myself are not
> allowed to vote but college dropouts working in McDonalds are.

There has to be a cut-off point somewhere and not all students are as "good" as you. Would you really want to give the vote to some of the newbies we've had on here? ;)
It's all legalities and principles anyway. Technically you cant sign legal documents if you dont have legal autonomy and in theory, if you gave kids the vote their parents could basically decide for them.
Mon 05/02/07 at 01:07
Regular
Nin wrote:
> Alfonse wrote:
> I find it insulting that good students like myself are not
> allowed to vote but college dropouts working in McDonalds are.
>
> There has to be a cut-off point somewhere and not all students
> are as "good" as you. Would you really want to give
> the vote to some of the newbies we've had on here? ;)
> It's all legalities and principles anyway. Technically you cant
> sign legal documents if you dont have legal autonomy and in
> theory, if you gave kids the vote their parents could basically
> decide for them.

I've always believed that anyone over the age of 18 has legal autonomy and the option to do what they please without their parent consent.. unless they're psychologically inept or incarcerated, in which case they'd have a guardian.
Mon 05/02/07 at 17:40
Regular
Ladybird wrote:
> Well, Alfonse, regardless if they're dropouts and working at
> McDonald's, they're tax-paying contributors to our blessed
> society and that makes their vote worth more than someone who's
> still living off of student loan stipends FROM the government..

That would make more sense if I were in University. Unfortunately I am still fifteen.
Tue 06/02/07 at 03:46
Regular
Fifteen year old drop outs that work at McDonalds get to vote in the UK?? I believe they'd need permission from their parents to even have that job.
Tue 06/02/07 at 04:37
Regular
Heh..sorry, read that "dropout" post wrong. Pft.

Just a question though.. Are 18 year old males required to register with the Armed Services in the UK?
Tue 06/02/07 at 20:30
Regular
"gsybe you!"
No.
Tue 06/02/07 at 20:44
Regular
Ladybird wrote:
> Are 18 year old males required to
> register with the Armed Services in the UK?

Not since the 50's, when it was obviously decided that all men are pansies

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.