GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The right to vote"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 04/02/07 at 17:34
Regular
"Author of Pain"
Here's a question for you all. Should the right to vote be universal? Should we all be allowed to have our say on government simply because we are 18 years or older?

Opinions welcome.
Tue 20/02/07 at 16:52
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
I wouldn't pay to vote, as none of the main parties are really up to much... I'm sick to the back teeth of "New" Labour, the Conservatives are moving to far towards the centre, and the Liberal Democrats are quite simply useless!

Needless point to make, no one pays to vote, it's simply an abuse of democracy... and paying people to vote a certain way is illegal, thanks to the Secret Ballot Act and Corrupt & Illegal Practices Act being introduced in the late 19th century
Thu 15/02/07 at 13:04
Regular
"Mooching around"
Doubtful you'd get a third of the people who vote now. I know wouldn't.
Wed 14/02/07 at 22:57
Regular
If you had to pay to vote, do you think anyone would?
Wed 14/02/07 at 22:44
Regular
"Author of Pain"
I can think of a very good reason why people should be excluded to vote:

"Why did you vote for X"
"Because The Sun told me to"

Genius.
Mon 12/02/07 at 16:29
Regular
"Laughingstock"
It's difficult to think of a justified reason as to why someone over 18 should be excluded from the democratic process.

That's a banal comment, I know. But I've thought about it and I can't justify a reason. All I can think of is that we must each earn the right to vote, but again, I can't think of a justifiable reason why I should be forced to earn my right to take part in the democratic process. Not that I believe there is any great weight to this right, especially when the two main parties are for all intents and purposes one and the same.
Mon 12/02/07 at 11:09
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
If they're aware of the issues concerned, by all means... I personally don't see the point myself though, as it would mean enfranchising an age group who seem to be more ignorant or apathetic towards some issues; not meaning any offence to people a couple of years younger than myself, of course.

If enough were aware of the relevant issues I would support such an idea, it's a matter of how many would vote and how many would be aware of relevant issues, as this would affect turnout as well as who gets the votes... either that, or I seem to know too many people who are, to all extents, blissfully ignorant or just plain stupid! :)
Sun 11/02/07 at 21:29
Regular
You don't think sixteen year olds deserve the right to vote even though the election affects them in so many ways?
Sun 11/02/07 at 20:33
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Right, let's get back on topic then!

As we live in a Democracy, everyone deemed an adult has the right to vote. It took an awfully long time for universal suffrage to be achieved, and the voting age was lowered from 21 to 18 in the 1960s... why? As far as I can reckon, by that time you were deemed to be an adult at 18. Should it stay that way? Yes, and I say this at a time when the government plans to raise the age of compulsary eduction to up to 18.

In addition to this, how many 16 year-olds are politically aware, or even really care? The number of people voting in elections is constantly slipping, and were an age group that seems to be largely apathetic were also included, it would lower turnout figures, which would not look good at all. Groups of people have previously been enfranchised after being percieved as having proven their worth; all adult males after World War I, and all houseowners in 1885, for example, as both groups were deemed sensible to enfranchise. Would 16 year-olds be a good choice now?

If they are deemed responsible and able to make the correct judgements, yes, otherwise no, as it would leave us with governments apporved by an even smaller proportion of the "Adult" population... and isn't this vital in a democracy? Are people of such an age aware of the issues they should be when voting? Personally, I think not, I say keep it at 18.

Otherwise, I'm concerned with how aware people are of politics, and the role it plays, how neccessary it is to participate... but what the hell, I study politics and am generally objectional, enough ranting for now.

P.S.; Prisoners do not deserve the vote, nor should they be given it. They're in Prison for a reason, and we don't use a proportional voting system, so there are 2 reasons why it's a stupid idea. :)
Sun 11/02/07 at 18:35
Regular
"Author of Pain"
Good to see we're keeping on topic.
Thu 08/02/07 at 20:24
Regular
Whatever man. You have the kind of attitude that stops people from ever becoming truly sucessful in life.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.