GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Modded Xboxes"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 14/02/04 at 15:32
Regular
So my mate got a modded xbox from a site on the internet. I'll not say which one, as
a) they are in a way in competition with SR
b) use of such consoles could be illegal (I don't know to be honest)

Anyway, it comes with a choice of HD's up to 250gig, a choice of DVD Rom drives (Samsung one is £10 extra), and a choice of mod chips.

It's all professionally done, included with your package is several emulators, such as MAME, N64 emulators and the like. Windows Media player is on it also, which allows you to play MP3's copied over from your PC.

You can copy games onto the HD and play them straight from that, drastically cutting load times. It's multi-region also, has a choice of dashboard skins (which can also be replaced by images on your PC). It plugs directly into your PC via a parallel port, and you can switch off the chip to use live if you wish. You can also watch your DVD's without a remote (something that should have been available with the standard box)

This may be the norm - I don't have much experience with modded boxes, but I just wanted to say it is all very professional looking indeed. The menus you use to navigate between your games, applications and music is very polished and asthetically excellent. It almost feels as though Microsoft themselves did it. It begs the question - why haven't they done it? It lets you see the true potential of the console, and when you look at what you get with the standard package, it's not a whole lot in comparison.

Sure, the modded one is a little more expensive, and you only get a 3 month guarantee, but surely it's worth it for all the extras you get.

As it is I'm going to upgrade myself I think when cash allows, and providing my mates doesn't explode 2 days after the guarantee runs out.

Maybe this is a taster of what microsoft have planned with the XBOX2? I surely hope so.
Fri 20/02/04 at 15:30
Music is the easiest to get hold off, some sites you can pay to get MP3's which is allright.
But most people dont do it as it is just so easy to type in free music (or somehting like that) in google and then find a site with some on.
Also it is the easiest thing to write to CD except data.
Fri 20/02/04 at 15:28
Edgy wrote:

> It isn't fair on the developers, who put a hell of a lot more work
> into videogames than the retailers, to copy their games off a mate.

I agree.
I know it's wrong.
Fri 20/02/04 at 13:47
Regular
When it comes to music - it is reasonable to make your own compilations providing you have the original LP/CD/MD/Cassette.

As for software, it is only reasonable to copy for ARCHIVAL reasons only.

Therefore, it is illegal to use a copy unless you have destroyed the original.
Fri 20/02/04 at 13:00
Regular
If you own the original of anything (game, music CD etc.), making and using a backup of it is considered reasonable according to British law. I've ripped all of my daughters DVDs onto DVDR so that the originals don't get messy and scratched. Is that illegal? I think not.

So, if I have an XBox capable of playing copies of my games that just happen to be installed to the larger internal HD, that is also, by definition, reasonable.

What you should really consider is the legality of modding your XBox. As far as I am concerned, it is MY XBox and I can do with it what I want. You wouldn't let a car manufacturer stop you modifying your car would you?!

You supposedly squeeky-clean whipper-snappers need to get a grip on reality. The fact is, most of you out there will be running computers with illegal software on them (operating systems, office applications etc.), along with masses of MP3 files downoaded from places like KaZaA and news groups. THAT is illegal.

I'm not interested in your personal circumstances with regards to your computing flatform and legal-status of said hardware/software ("I use Linux" or "I use Mac" etc...yawn...) The simple fact is that 99% of the capable population have got illegal copies of something where they don't own the original.

In context, your comments are totally pointless (and incorrect).
Thu 19/02/04 at 13:39
Regular
Even if you have the originals, playing the copied versions is still illegal - that is, unless you have rendered the originals as unplayable.
Thu 19/02/04 at 13:16
Regular
Go for the upgrade; you won't regret it. I've got a 250Gb drive in my XBox, and along with a few installed games (installed from my originals), I've also got my entire CD collection on there (250+ albums), several DVD movies in DivX format, plus a load of emulators and associated games.
Tue 17/02/04 at 13:41
Regular
EL ® ö B ì Ñ wrote:
> Edgy wrote:
> I hope SR have read this topic and made a note of your membership
> number at the very least...incase you try to return any games.
>
> I wouldnt do that i only borrow of a mate, i wouldnt buy it, coppy it
> and take it back. Not fair on that shop.

It isn't fair on the developers, who put a hell of a lot more work into videogames than the retailers, to copy their games off a mate.
Tue 17/02/04 at 12:13
Regular
"8==="
I think copying games to the hardrive could be made commercially viable through use of registration codes (so you'd have to have live for it to collate and check all the codes).
Tue 17/02/04 at 12:06
Edgy wrote:
> I hope SR have read this topic and made a note of your membership
> number at the very least...incase you try to return any games.

I wouldnt do that i only borrow of a mate, i wouldnt buy it, coppy it and take it back. Not fair on that shop.
Tue 17/02/04 at 08:50
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
there's always "so and so's" no questions 10 day return policy to abuse ...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.