GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Just got Perfect Dark..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Perfect Dark'.
Tue 17/02/04 at 17:05
Regular
Have to say, it's brilliant. I missed it when it first came out (due to me having zero money) but just recently I picked it up on eBay, fully boxed and complete, for £15.

Better than almost every game out on the three current console, and really does put Halo to shame in every respect, except maybe graphically. In comparison, the almighty "best FPS ever" is a compelte and utter joke.

Just got past the first few level and activated the slo-mo cheat for some fun, blasting guards faces to pieces, Matrix-stylee. Like on any FPS, the handgun is the best and perfect for stealthy action.

I've also got Silicon Valley (under Tilt's recommendation, for £3) and Banjo Tooie on their way, both from eBay, so it's gonna be retro couple of weeks in the run up to Kirby's Air Ride and BG&E.

I also got EyeToy Groove today, which is surprisingly fun, despite the lack of variety and awful soundtrack.
Wed 18/02/04 at 12:41
Regular
What makes you think that'll ever happen?

Rare own the rights to Perfect Dark.
Wed 18/02/04 at 11:41
Regular
I'm looking forward to the Gameboy remake of this... should be damn cool.
Wed 18/02/04 at 11:07
Regular
Cheers for spoiling that Sniper ;-) (Nah... only j/k, heard about it aggges ago.)

Anyway, I've been playing through the 1-player missions a bit more and it really is great, great fun. The control system is a stroke of genius, and reminds how inferior none-Rare FPS controls are. It annoyed me at first, because I was used to the likes of TS2 and *pukes* Turok, but it becomes all so fluent after a while and it really is much, much better for it.

The only real problem I've come across (bar the crappy voice-acting for Joanna Dark) is the level design. At times it's a bit too hit & miss for me, yes, exploring is great, but I found myself lost on the first level and wasn't quite sure what to do, even after reading the mission statement etc.

I'm up to the stealth level now, and from what I've played (from one try) it's very, very tough. I resorted to returning to the first level on Special Agent and had a dig at it on Perfect Agent, too. Some of the target times seem just plain stupid, though; 1 minute 30 seconds for Special Agent on the first level? Never!

I'll have to be having a go on the multiplayer, really, Co-Op sounds like a great idea, and soem classic Goldeneye style deathmatches is just what I need, the only trouble is persuading my friends that it isn't rubbish just because it's old. The fools.

All I can say is, roll on PD0, if Rare are back to their best by then, we'll be in for something truly brilliant, who cares about some crappy Goldeneye remake from EA?
Wed 18/02/04 at 00:23
Regular
Oh and PD was great in multi but shame about single compared to Goldeneye.. weird alien storyline got out of hand a bit.
Wed 18/02/04 at 00:04
Regular
Ut2004 will make it even better for mod makers aswell
Tue 17/02/04 at 22:35
Regular
"gsybe you!"
DAMN MY FAST PC!

Rar! Would UT2004 be okay on a 56k modem?
Tue 17/02/04 at 20:31
Regular
"You! Obey the fist!"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Best multiplayer game at the moment (or at least up and coming) has to
> be Unreal Tournament 2004, the demo rocks muchly.

i just this second finished playing that...mighty fun
Tue 17/02/04 at 20:02
Regular
Best multiplayer game at the moment (or at least up and coming) has to be Unreal Tournament 2004, the demo rocks muchly.
Tue 17/02/04 at 18:45
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Goldeneye was better (single player anyway), but PD was absoloutely superb. Best multiplayer ever, simply because you could customise absoloutely anything and there were literally millions of options. TS2 disappointed me in that respect, because there were nowhere near as many options (a la PD) in it's multiplayer. Halo is nothing to the two Rare masterpieces. Shame they've gone a bit off...
Tue 17/02/04 at 18:36
"I love yo... lamp."
Heh, glad you enjoyed it. I bought a new still shrink wrapped one a few weeks ago as I lost my original one.

Halo < Perfect Dark < Goldeneye. Don't argue. I'm right.

It was one of those games that just had something. Goldeneye had it as well. Halo does as well, just not as much as Rare at their peak.

The multiplayer was immense. I just hope that Perfect Dark Zero has a Live multiplayer that measures up to PD's greatness.

It was great. Hope you keep enjoying it. Roll on PD 0.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.