GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Longevity.......do we need it?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/08/01 at 19:14
Regular
Well do we? What type of a person are you? Do you need a game that lasts 70+ hours or are you the type of person that likes a short exillerating experience (hmmm sounds a bit iffy)?

Games come in many different lengths. Some will last you much, much longer than others, but which do you actually prefer?

For example, Final Fantasy. This game is the type of game that is meant to guarantee you hours and hours of gameplay. The game is absolutely huge and the playing area is absolutely massive to say the least. Added on to the length of the game is the fact that you could do the "I want every single item" thing and go on a search for each and every item. If this sounds fun to you I guess you are a 70+ hour type of gamer.

On the other hand we have Conkers Bad Fur Day. If you have playied it you will know what I mean. This game is dissapointingly small. There may be reasons for this, amount of speech you can fit on a cartridge, ideas for the game and many other things, but the bottom line is it only lasts you about 12 hours. For some people this is exactly what they want. A game that you can have short or long bursts on without getting bored. Also each moment in the game will be remembered well because of the shortness of the game.

I hate short games, but I loved Conkers Bad Fur Day. I loved the actual game, but I hated the shortness. For some this isn't a problem, but for me it is. I am a 70+ hour gamer. I like a lenghly gaming experience that will keep me occupied for weeks.

Obviously some don't and this breed of gamers are a puzzle to me. So what type of a gamer are you?

(;o|
Thu 09/08/01 at 13:27
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
Good points Meka. Nobody wants to go and spend their well earned (muched) money on a game that is not going to last long enough to get warm in the console.

It is not acceptable to pay out between 35-50 pounds on a game that is not going to last them.

I agree about the Goldeneye thing as well, about having the time limits to pass to get the cheats. Adds lots of lastabiltiy to the game.

(;o|
Thu 09/08/01 at 13:18
Regular
"not dead"
I like to finish every game I've got, and I like it to be a challenge.

I think you need a game that will last you a long while. Maybe not simply reaching the end, but other factors too, such as multiplayer options, mini games, or scores to beat.

Another way to increase the longevity of a game is to set various targets that unlock secrets, such as having to complete certain levels with a certain time limit to reveal cheats in Goldeneye, or having to meet a range of criteria (time, accuracy, kills) to get awarded medals in a game like Battle For Naboo.

But surely no one wants a game that's only going to last them a few days.

Unless they're renting it....
Thu 09/08/01 at 10:58
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
Just wondering, but who is Quicksilver???? I have never met him.

Quiksilver:Hey who are you?

Quicksilver:Hi I'm fred and I'm looking for my dog.

Anyways back to the point.

As I have said I am a 70+ hour type of gamer. Although this isn't the case if the game I am paying is a load of tosh. The game must be inventive and keep me hooked to it with good gameplay.

A good example of this is Zelda. A huge expansive world, great gameplay and a good storyline running throughout. This game for me was well worth the £50 I paid for it.

Then we have Conkers Bad Fur Day. Brilliant, hilarious, full to the brim with gameplay, but falls miles short of my expected time of play. I had been warned about it, but I wanted the game anyway. So there I went off to the shops with my £50 and bought the game. Got it home and boy was I happy.....till about 5 days later. I had finished the damn thing.

So I thought, "Hey why stop there? Why not play through it again? should give me a few more hours of fun". A few more hourts exactly. I am right near the end of the game with a total of 3 hours.

So was Conkers Bad Fur Day worth the £50? No and yes I think would be my answer. Yes because of how down right good the game is, but no because I don't feel that 12 hours of game is enough to make me part with my £50.

(;o|
Thu 09/08/01 at 03:07
Or not.

:(
Thu 09/08/01 at 03:04
Whahey, I'm not alone! FM is doing the rounds!

:)
Thu 09/08/01 at 03:03
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I think that like Quicksilver said, there are two or three types of longevity.

Games that last a long time to complete because they are very difficult to finish.

Games that last a long time to complete because they are epic.

Games that last a long time because they are so much fun to play that you keep going back again and again.

Out of those 3, I'd like every game to be in the third category, because then it doesn't matter if a game ends within two hours of starting it (like Metal Gear or Resident Evil), you'll keep going back for more, like the VR Modes in Metal Gear or the sheer blast 'em to pieces fun that Resident Evil offers.

'Epic' games can be a problem. Some of them are so huge, like Final Fantasy 8 or Skies of Arcadia, that once you've invested 40+ hours completing them, you still want to play them again to go back and do all the subquests, but you know that you're in for a long haul with it, therefore you tend to sometimes put it off a bit. If the ending is particularly disappointing (which is very rare) you may actually be thankful that you finished it so that you can sell it quickly for something better. So choose your 'epic games wisely.

Games that are very difficult to finish just because they are very hard in places can be a definite problem, some are so puzzling in places or some bosses are just to hard, that it actually detracts from the game. Fortunately, games like this for regular gamers are few and far between, but there must be many a casual gamer who has thrown up their hands in despair at say Final Fantasy 9 or Resident Evil Code: Veronica, just giving up because of complicatedness or too many difficult puzzles.

Luckily for us, the gaming developers are fully aware of this aspect of gameplay, and in the future, games will be more consistently fun to play with smoother learning/difficulty curves, so the problem of longevity will eventually be ironed out by the more conscientious games programmers.
Thu 09/08/01 at 01:27
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I can tell you, GT3 is taking AGES! I've already put in well over 40 hours and I've still only done 35%! Jeez!
Thu 09/08/01 at 00:39
Regular
Conker is special despite its 12 hour game length it feels huge due to the ammount of interaction, and the multiplayer kept it going for months.

I got it before release and even today its my main game!

Pokemon Snap is the worst, 4 hours it took me to finish it with all Pokemon and i had no solution or anything.

It was Fun though.
Wed 08/08/01 at 22:12
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
We do need longevity Because there is no point playing a game once, completing it then not ever playing it again. Die hard is a good example. If a game is long however and keeps you interested then that’s what I call I good game. Not many companies can make a good long game that keeps you playing it until you see the end credits. There are to many games that go on forever and ever about nothing. The start it good but then it dies down and after a few goes the game is left in the draw to collect dust.

Myself I do like a short game and a long one I will tell you why.

Long game-RPG’s are very good examples of a long game. FF5-9 and the Zelda series are all great fun. They let you see how much of the game there is and it’s usually a lot to keep you interested. I don’t know how they do it but they do it well. I also like playing into the wee small hours on Zelda links awakening trying to get through one of the dungeons.

Short game-These games are usually a fun continuous line of fun. Resident evils are a good example. Although I have seen smaller games this game is very fun. It does require some skills to find the missing cogs in Resident Evil 2 mind you but it is still fun. Shooting a zombie with you shotgun up close splits him in half, it made me chuckle. This game is quite short but when you complete it you get extra modes and such so it does make it your money’s worth. You could play this game over and over again because it is so fun and blasting zombies it great!

So I think many people like a short game and a long one but be careful when buying either. You could get one that is to small and you will complete it in your first try or you might get a game that has 10 disks but goes on about absolute nothing.

Beware my friends
Wed 08/08/01 at 20:42
Well, I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan so longetivity is something that the best games need and if it continually delivers like FF does, well. The best thing is to have alot of something great.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.