GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Longevity.......do we need it?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/08/01 at 19:14
Regular
Well do we? What type of a person are you? Do you need a game that lasts 70+ hours or are you the type of person that likes a short exillerating experience (hmmm sounds a bit iffy)?

Games come in many different lengths. Some will last you much, much longer than others, but which do you actually prefer?

For example, Final Fantasy. This game is the type of game that is meant to guarantee you hours and hours of gameplay. The game is absolutely huge and the playing area is absolutely massive to say the least. Added on to the length of the game is the fact that you could do the "I want every single item" thing and go on a search for each and every item. If this sounds fun to you I guess you are a 70+ hour type of gamer.

On the other hand we have Conkers Bad Fur Day. If you have playied it you will know what I mean. This game is dissapointingly small. There may be reasons for this, amount of speech you can fit on a cartridge, ideas for the game and many other things, but the bottom line is it only lasts you about 12 hours. For some people this is exactly what they want. A game that you can have short or long bursts on without getting bored. Also each moment in the game will be remembered well because of the shortness of the game.

I hate short games, but I loved Conkers Bad Fur Day. I loved the actual game, but I hated the shortness. For some this isn't a problem, but for me it is. I am a 70+ hour gamer. I like a lenghly gaming experience that will keep me occupied for weeks.

Obviously some don't and this breed of gamers are a puzzle to me. So what type of a gamer are you?

(;o|
Fri 10/08/01 at 21:11
Yes we do !
Fri 10/08/01 at 20:58
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
I know a lot of people including me that likes games like Zelda even though they lack multiplayer, and want to complete them.

But we all own more than one type of game.

We all own a game that is good for pick up and play, and we all own ones that last 20+ hours?? I know I do.

I buy games that have long and good, and fun single player modes like Final Fantasy and Zelda!! And I also buy things like Tekken etc. Good for Picking up and playing for 10 - 20 minutes if I am bored and have good multiplayer. Also things like Goldeneye, good enough and challenging single player which is good and fun and an awesome multiplayer mode that is addictive and fun to play any day.

I also made a post similar to this in the Best Genre topic slightly further down the page. But it is true isn't it? We all like these and we all buy long and short games?? Right?

But in times like this with everything happening for the PC, XBOX, PS2 and the release of the GC coming to a near, and having completed all my games, and having a couple of months before getting a very high spec computer, purely for playing games and internet access and games, I need stuff that is fun and lasting and not tedious. Right? We all need these type of things.

And I know that a lot of us have started saving for a GC or a PS2 now the price has dropped and things are starting to happen for it, or the pricey XBOX, or the great new games coming out for the PC and have already come out, like upgrades for playing Max Payne, Aliens and Predator's 2 and Unreal 2 and Age of Mythology and tons, tons more.

So now I am getting games like Adventures and 3D platformers? That have a longish enough lasting one player and great multiplayer modes like Banjo- Tooie which is my GAD win!!

ZP
Fri 10/08/01 at 19:44
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
Yeah I agree.

A game with a multiplayer is much more likely to have better longevity than say Zelda. Hows this you may say?

Well if you think about it, Zelda is one of those games that not that many people will bother/want to complete again. Once it is finished it is pretty much old hat, but now have a think of a game with a good multiplayer.

I will use Goldeneye for the example. Okay it has one of the best one player modes out of a lot of N64 games, but I can assure you that the multiplayer has featured heavily in your gaming life.

Now think of the many hours it took you to complete Zelda, however long it took, I would bet my umbrella that you have played Goldeneyes multiplayer longer than that time.

(;o|
Fri 10/08/01 at 19:41
"possibly impossible"
DeltaJava wrote:
> Then why does the majority of the gaming public hate it then?

And because they are the majority then they're right I suppose? Isn't the 'majority' of the gaming public made up of people who own a console and buy games which they play for a few weeks (about twice a week at most) then either leave to gather dust or swap for something else.

Majority, pah!

;-)
Fri 10/08/01 at 19:38
Regular
that was my point about sumper mario advance - good game too short. most games now have longevity it's just really the old games that are short.
Fri 10/08/01 at 19:35
That's true to an extent, joe. But what's the point of playing an immense game only to stop playing it three minutes later bacuse it was so short?
Fri 10/08/01 at 19:31
Regular
i'm not bothred about longetivity (or however you spell it) just as long as i'm playing a good game. but saying that i am bothred to an extent eg super mario advance there's not enough levels on it. go for games with multiplayer options they can last ages eg goldeneye and mario kart. what matters is how good the game is.
Fri 10/08/01 at 19:13
Then why does the majority of the gaming public hate it then?
Thu 09/08/01 at 22:52
Regular
A really good "arcade style game" can have longevity.
I bought Crazy Taxi 2 on 6th July and I'm still playing it, still mastering it.
The longevity of the traditional and addictive "high score" arcade game is today generally underestimated.
Thu 09/08/01 at 14:04
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Same here I agree with MJ as I like games like Zelda nice and lengthy etc. but I loved CBFD although it was short!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.