GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"N64 isn't quite dead"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 05/08/01 at 23:42
Regular
Did I hear someone say the N64 is dead? Smack, Bam, Wallop, crash. I hope that knocked some sense into you. The N64 isn’t quite dead because despite the ever shrinking release list and the lack of N64 games on shop shelves the N64 does what every console does when it is about to bite the bullet, drop in price.

I won’t say where but I picked up Pokémon Snap (did I hear a giggle) for £9.99! That’s even cheaper than Special Reserve’s amazing price. Also Diddy Kong Racing I found that for £6.99 again that’s stupid and these are high street prices! I saw Conker’s Bad Fur Day for a mere £34.99 and for a game that only came out a few months ago and retailed at £60 this is a big achievement.

So do you Nintendo fans have every game you ever wanted to get? There is many a game I wish I had such as Smash Brothers, Mario Golf, Mario Party, Rocket: Robots on wheels, Pilot wings, Rogue squadron, Pokémon Stadium 2, Blast Corps, Excite bike and many, many more.

Why I never go these games?

At the time I never had the money and by the time I did the next title came around and I got that instead. Now with only 2 not yet released titles that I really want (Tony Hawks 2 and Paper Mario and if Sin and Punishment gets a UK release that as well) I might as well keep my N64 alive by buying these classics.

The N64 created many classics in its years and now it relies on these classics to get through it’s last. So whilst you consider getting that Dreamcast or Playstation 2 in order to wait for the Gamecube I ask why? To a Nintendo fan the N64 is better than both of those consoles and as far as I’m concerned unless you are a millionaire you wouldn’t of got ever last N64 smash hit and, well it’s about time you snapped them up.

Dringo
Tue 21/08/01 at 20:53
the N64 will never die!with all those great games how can it.i got my N64 about 2 years ago and im still goldeneye,lylat wars,extrem g the list goes on.when i get the gamecube i`ll probably still play the N64 its top :~)
Fri 17/08/01 at 19:20
Regular
Qû!k§iLve® wrote:
> I agree with what you are saying Dringo, but the fact is some of the
> older "classics" now aren't as lenghy as we would be
> expecting, and sometimes the gameplay is slightly
> lacklustre.

Right ok i disagree vastly! My most favourite game came out in 1998 Zelda, Pilotwings even PD is dirt cheap, older titles we dont get becasue they are yesterdays news! But that doesn't mean a thing right at this moment the game i am hunting for is a first ahnd Smash Brothers which i found for a tenner last year didn't buy it and the next day had gone. I don't have excitebike yet but is that head of my list to buy NO!
Fri 17/08/01 at 19:14
Regular
"<];o)"
POP
Sun 12/08/01 at 10:54
Regular
Dringo wrote:
many shops
> are doing sales and are shifting stock, Choices sol all ex-rebtal
> N64 games for £3-5!

I saw Majora's mask for a fiver!

When you say Choices do ya mean choices video?
Sun 12/08/01 at 10:53
Regular
GasMask wrote:
> TILTAWHIRL wrote:
> true very true, i picked up perfect dark
> about a month back for
> £5.99 it was a bloody
> bargain.

Oh c'mon now that is lies. 6 quid for PD. Even second
> hand its not as cheap as that.

did you miss out like a 1 before
> the 5?

Nope it was £5.99 unboxed with no instructions from cash convertors.
Sun 12/08/01 at 10:25
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
I agree with what you are saying Dringo, but the fact is some of the older "classics" now aren't as lenghy as we would be expecting, and sometimes the gameplay is slightly lacklustre.

Okay this doesn't apply for all games, but I can name a few "classics" I have picked up that haven't satisfied my gaming hunger. Although in total contradiction to that, a couple of days ago I picked up a surprise gem that I thought was not going to be any good.

Well what was it then? The game at hand is Mission Impossible....now beofre you all start laughing at me let me explain. This game is the first game in ages that I have played *other than CBFD* that has one ounce of originality in it.

Let me explain. Take for example you are in a Interogation room and you need a way out, how do you get out??? Suddenly a message comes through on the radio. It is your artner Candice who tells you she has hidden some explosive chewing gum (from the film) under the coffee mug on the table. Okay so now you have that, what do you do? Blow the door off I hear you all scream, but wait....MISSION FAILED. I guess you were wrong. What you have to do is find a switch to open a viewing window which you then blow to smithereens.

Also here is another example. You need to get passed a security camera, what do you do? Sneak past, chaff grenade (for all of you MGS fans).....??? I bet none of you would suggest spraying the camera with paint though? Well would you?

These little additions to the game, have made it worth me spending that fiver on it. Its kept me occupied when I have been bored, and it has given my N64 something to eat. Since I completed CBFD my cartridge slot hasn't eveb been given the chance to get warm, pitiful really when I have 34 odd games.

The thing is, not all of the games lying around the second hand basket in your local shop are going to be able to be worth you spending any money at all on let alone second hand prices. Take my advice and get out a magazine and read a review of the game at hand, if it got a bad review then it is morew than likely to seem much worse now. On the other hand if it was great then I think it may be quite fun to play now, or at least worth getting rid of a few pounds for.

So, is the N64 dead???? Well the answer to that is, yes and no. For new releases/mindblowing blockbusters yes it is dead, but if it is a good classic game you are looking for, you should be able to pick loads up for a dirt cheap price. So if you look at it like that it is not dead at all.

Mind you there is a third view in a way. What happens if you somehow managed to buy many of the games that came out in the first place, well for you I expect are stuck. After spending all of your money on all of the new releases you are now probably weeping as all of the newer games SLOWLY drop in price, but still just out of your reach because of the amount of money you had spent a few years ago.

Is the N64 dead??? It depends on how you spent your money in the first place.

(;o|
Sun 12/08/01 at 02:57
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
From what I understand, most shops already do charge what they want for N64 titles ;-)
Sun 12/08/01 at 01:32
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Yep, I agree with Dringo, from now until Gamecube launch is a VERY good time to start collecting N64 games, because when the Gamecube hits they will be like gold dust, and of course in a few years time you can ask whatever price you want for them as long as they are in good condition.

At present, I'm building up my collection of DC games, because the prices are already starting to go through the roof for the new games (very few are being released, therefore the price is going up by the day in many marketplaces).

The older games you can still get at a reasonable price for the DC though, so I'm currently buying as many as I can get as long as they are in mint condition.

Then in 10-15 years time I'm going to sell them all and retire in the Bahamas.

I saw an unassembled ZX81 at auction today, boxed, as new, going for £270 at the current bid. Makes you think, doesn't it?
Sun 12/08/01 at 00:09
Regular
GasMask wrote:
> TILTAWHIRL wrote:
> true very true, i picked up perfect dark
> about a month back for
> £5.99 it was a bloody
> bargain.

Oh c'mon now that is lies. 6 quid for PD. Even second
> hand its not as cheap as that.

did you miss out like a 1 before
> the 5?

many shops are doing sales and are shifting stock, Choices sol all ex-rebtal N64 games for £3-5!

I saw Majora's mask for a fiver!
Fri 10/08/01 at 22:13
Maybe it was pirated.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.