GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best Graphics card?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 07/03/04 at 10:47
Regular
"Bicycle"
What's the best 'budget' graphics card?

(ie. -£100.)

Are the ATI RADEON 9600's good? Especially for FPS's, like Return to Castle Wolfenstien... Nothing amazing, but good for online gaming anyway.

Or are nVidia the best?
Sun 07/03/04 at 10:47
Regular
"Bicycle"
What's the best 'budget' graphics card?

(ie. -£100.)

Are the ATI RADEON 9600's good? Especially for FPS's, like Return to Castle Wolfenstien... Nothing amazing, but good for online gaming anyway.

Or are nVidia the best?
Sun 07/03/04 at 12:18
Regular
ATI cards perform better on the whole, much better in some cases. The Nvidia range however have more stable drivers. I would go for a 9600 XT if you want a reasonable budget but a decent card. They are the top end of the word budget though.
Sun 07/03/04 at 13:31
Regular
Return to Castle Wolfenstein will be an absolute doddle for the 9600XT, my friend.

You should look towards more recent titles.
Sun 07/03/04 at 15:46
Regular
"Bicycle"
Such as?

I'm quite dissapointed by SoFII Gold, Rogue Spear, Red Faction and Half-Life... Not too dissapointed, but dissapointed nevertheless.

Any recommendations for GOOD games? Preferably not sports... I have a PS2 for that, and well... Dunno if I have time for any RPG's.

Sun 07/03/04 at 15:50
Regular
Call of Duty is good and you can never go wrong with Counter-Strike.
Sun 07/03/04 at 15:57
Regular
"Bicycle"
Aye...

I'm having a whole loada rubbish with Half-Life mutliplayer. It just won't do it! It says it's an old version, I've done what it suggested and it was checked by the program and it's not, but I still can't play online!

Any ideas?
Sun 07/03/04 at 16:06
Regular
"Bicycle"
[URL]http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/q_GG8797_connect3d_ati_rade.html[/URL]

Looky. Cheapest 9600 XT. And it looks like it'll work well, too.

But just like to ask... Can I still have Half-Life 2 free?
Sun 07/03/04 at 16:22
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Messy wrote:
Can I still have Half-Life 2 free?

ATI have started charging manufacturers a fee for including HL2 in the bundle (in voucher form), since its been established that we won't be getting the game any time soon.

So, basically, it depends on the manufacturer. You still defo get HL2 with 9800 XT cards, as ATI has not introduced the fee on this card.
Sun 07/03/04 at 18:07
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Actually quite a lot of the Nvidia 5700 cards really munch the budget market.

Have a look around and find some benchmarks, see whats out there.
Sun 07/03/04 at 19:17
Regular
"TRobbins"
You can still get half life 2 free from www.overclockers.co.uk

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.