GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"soldiers should get more wages than footballers"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 30/01/10 at 10:56
Regular
"semper fi"
now i've posted this thread to complain about soldiers sacrificing their lives for thier country and foot ballers just getting about 25'000 pounds/dollars just for showing up at a football match and playing with the only threat of breaking thier leg whilst in afganistan soldiers sometimes come home in a coffin so if ur like me and think soldiers should get more wages then plz reply
Sat 30/01/10 at 15:22
Regular
"How Ironic"
In terms of rank in society, it's all messed up. Footballers do get paid too much. What do they contribute? Entertainment. What do Soldiers, Doctors, Firefighters, Policemen contribute? Alot more than kicking a ball around that's for sure.

Although, same can be said for singers and other entertainers. They're paid ludicrous amounts.
Sat 30/01/10 at 15:15
Regular
"semper fi"
Warhunt wrote:
> They are entertainers. I don't understand this argument, when
> people like Eminem, J-Lo and errr....Frank Sinatra earn millions
> from singing. And most of the time it's not their song, and their
> voices are edited.
>
> Footballers entertain people so the only contributing factor in
> my opinion is how much people pay "them" to be
> entertained. If there wasn't a demand, they wouldn't be paid so
> much.
>
> It's not that I think they are not overpayed, but just think the
> whole argument is focalised on footballers.
>
> And as a side note, it isn't easy work being a footballer. 5 days
> a week training, then a match (bench warming), very little time
> off (during season time if any at all).
>
> Add in the higher leagues, intense competition to earn your
> place, intense media and fan pressure, abuse from other fans etc.
> High risk of injury.
>
> That and the fact that their bodies and actions are not really
> their own. They are signed to the club.
>
> Not easy by any means. But for £50,000 a week? I'd
> certainly do it without complaining that's for sure.

the thing is footballers have a risk of injury soldiers have a high risk of death
Sat 30/01/10 at 15:07
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Actually made a lot of sense Hmmm.... ;)
Sat 30/01/10 at 14:54
"Are you sure?"
"soldiers should get more wages than footballers"

I don't think it's as simple as that!

The MOD advertise the 3 services as a career choice - so presumably people that volunteered to become a soldier knew in advance what it entailed?!

I've just tried the Army online numeracy test it seemed to be on a par with my daughter's 11+ ! I do appreciate there are more factors involved.
But I think it would be easier to get accepted into the forces than Man United!

Not all 'soldiers' are poorly paid, a bit like not all footballers are highly paid.

I'm no football fan (ask Warhunt!) and a lot of them do seem obscenely over-paid but I can't see how that can really be compared to people that choose to join the forces.

If the UK had conscription then obviously it would be a different argument!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 30/01/10 at 14:53
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
They are entertainers. I don't understand this argument, when people like Eminem, J-Lo and errr....Frank Sinatra earn millions from singing. And most of the time it's not their song, and their voices are edited.

Footballers entertain people so the only contributing factor in my opinion is how much people pay "them" to be entertained. If there wasn't a demand, they wouldn't be paid so much.

It's not that I think they are not overpayed, but just think the whole argument is focalised on footballers.

And as a side note, it isn't easy work being a footballer. 5 days a week training, then a match (bench warming), very little time off (during season time if any at all).

Add in the higher leagues, intense competition to earn your place, intense media and fan pressure, abuse from other fans etc. High risk of injury.

That and the fact that their bodies and actions are not really their own. They are signed to the club.

Not easy by any means. But for £50,000 a week? I'd certainly do it without complaining that's for sure.
Sat 30/01/10 at 14:14
Regular
"How Ironic"
Well the main factor of this argument is that Footballers, or general sports stars are overpayed, and i've never understood why. It's not like they're under extreme conditions, most of them do it for the love of the game. Suppose the revenue the game generates is a factor, but surely that could be put towards better things than increasing some person's ego, just because he kicks a piece of leather around once a week.
Sat 30/01/10 at 11:32
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Ongoing and interesting debate about this all the time.

While I agree the pay for soldiers is not fantastic when put against other incomes it is not as bad as some make it out to be. My friend was in the Royal Anglian for a spell, and 1 tour of Afghan allowed him enough money to buy a spanking new Romeo.

The main fact is that everything is paid for, as well as them earning wages. He didn't spend a penny in 8 months or whatever it was. It really makes a difference.

You can't really argue by putting it up against things like sports.

And football? Think of it this way. If every person that a football team entertained gave £1 it would probably cover their wages. It's all about how much people are willing to pay.

And football is one of the (if not THE) top world sports. Of course the better players earn a fair amount.

I'll draw a conclusion in a nice little point. If companies want to start sponsoring regiments (think of the Samsung logo in camoflauge) and people want to start buying tickets to watch training parades, then .............. well you get the point.
Sat 30/01/10 at 11:20
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
They should do but if i'm honest, I don't think i've ever directly paid money to the armed forces other then through tax. Although i've paid a hell of a lot towards football (i'm not even a big football fan) and it's probably the same for most people, it's wrong if you think about it.

The way things are going at the moment, I can't see those on the front line earning any more as all of our tax money now is going to the banks to replace our money that they lost. If all else fails, just blame the bankers.
Sat 30/01/10 at 10:56
Regular
"semper fi"
now i've posted this thread to complain about soldiers sacrificing their lives for thier country and foot ballers just getting about 25'000 pounds/dollars just for showing up at a football match and playing with the only threat of breaking thier leg whilst in afganistan soldiers sometimes come home in a coffin so if ur like me and think soldiers should get more wages then plz reply

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.