GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Far Cry"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Far Cry'.
Fri 19/03/04 at 10:40
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Please, somebody give me £30, I need this game...

[URL]http://farcry-thegame.com/uk/index.php?changesite=flash[/URL]

26th yeah?

WOOT!

Sorry for another topic on it.....
Mon 22/03/04 at 16:58
Regular
"uncopyable"
Yeah been playing Far Cry over the weekend, and it's a stunning game, no question - if this is the shape of DX9 games then bring it on.

Although as it has been noted, you are gonna need a hell of a machine to play this game as the dev intended.

I have a P4c 3 gig, ATI 9800 pro (@ XT speeds on RAM and Core) plus a gig of DDR 400 RAM all running on a 875i mobo and it’s taken me a while to get it running to a level I consider to be acceptable. To be fair I have all game settings on max and I am playing at 1024 X 800, but with the 9800 Pro I am used to being able to do this with a games settings, then add X4 AA and X16AS. This is the case with UT 2004, Call of Duty and anything else released in the last 6 months.

However, with Far Cry, while I have kept all the game settings at max, I no AA running and X4 AS. At these settings I am pulling around 80FPS in open spaces and about 60FPS when I go into the many tunnels and rusting ships dotted around the island. That may sound strange that the out door areas run better, but in this situation, the engine (even at the highest setting) will drop off detail of stuff in the far distance, helping the frame rate. However, when you are inside, there are so many detailed textures, reflections and effects going on, all close enough to you to mean they can’t have detail dropped, the frame rate just has to take a hit.

The game still looks stunning – just looking out across the island from a mountain top is amazing – it’s one of the only games I can remember that I have just literally stood in awe of the visuals. Hell I even called my GF into the room to have a look!

I still haven’t finishing tweaking the game. Got a patch today that gives you reflections on the water of everything - trees, buildings etc all reflect on the water. Something that is not available as a normal option. Must be done through the config file.

But yeah – great game. I would say a high end video card and a gig of RAM is a must if you wanna have this beast running well. Although it is totally worth it. The best game I have played so far this year. Well, equal with UT2004 I guess.
Mon 22/03/04 at 15:47
Regular
"A man with a stick"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Surely you should still get it for £18 though?

Yep, just pointing out that befiore people begin to get excited and ask me where I ordered it from, they won't be getting at the same price. This is why I love pre-ordering, got Hitman: Contracts and STALKER for £18 pre-order as well.

And I can say that I never had a problem with the far cry demo at all, it ran silky smooth all the way through and my PC is over a year old.
Mon 22/03/04 at 13:04
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Either it was due to it being demo code, or you need an up-to-date
> monster of a PC. I've got a P4 1.7GHz with 256 MB RAM and a 64MB
> GeForce 3 graphics card - it's never struggled with anything until
> the Far Cry demo! Call of Duty runs fine with all settings
> practically maxed.

Its the game. Because it is a true DX9 game and needs serious power. I have a XP2800, 1024mb 9800 Pro and I can play it pretty well on everything on Very High and the water on Ultra High. Have Trillinar filtering at level 1 and no anti-aliasing, and run it at 1280x960. The game runs ok, doing 70fps and more in some parts but in the jungle it does go down to under 30fps at times. I might turn the shadows down a bit as I was testing it last night with different shadow settings and using medium shadows gave a bit better performance.

The IGN review pointed out that his home 2.4Ghz P4 512mb and 9700 Pro needed settings turned down, and the game could only be played on full detail on there 3Ghz P4, 1024mb and 9800 Pro.
Mon 22/03/04 at 13:01
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I played the demo and it ran like treacle mixed with extra molasses.
2.1 gig, 128mb card and 521k ram.

I shall be passing on this game until I know it will run better
Mon 22/03/04 at 11:38
"High polygon count"
Surely you should still get it for £18 though?

I played the demo of this, and it was really, really slow. I had to put the detail levels down almost to the lowest settings for the first time ever on my PC.

Either it was due to it being demo code, or you need an up-to-date monster of a PC. I've got a P4 1.7GHz with 256 MB RAM and a 64MB GeForce 3 graphics card - it's never struggled with anything until the Far Cry demo! Call of Duty runs fine with all settings practically maxed.
Fri 19/03/04 at 10:46
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Yay, I pre-ordered it for £18, but don't hold your breath, the place I ordered it from has now upped the price to £25. Got to love pre-ordering, and out next week too, can't wait.
Fri 19/03/04 at 10:40
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Please, somebody give me £30, I need this game...

[URL]http://farcry-thegame.com/uk/index.php?changesite=flash[/URL]

26th yeah?

WOOT!

Sorry for another topic on it.....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.