GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Far Cry"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Far Cry'.
Fri 19/03/04 at 10:40
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Please, somebody give me £30, I need this game...

[URL]http://farcry-thegame.com/uk/index.php?changesite=flash[/URL]

26th yeah?

WOOT!

Sorry for another topic on it.....
Sat 27/03/04 at 15:48
Regular
"Twice the halfwit"
cookie monster wrote:
> Muss_2 wrote:
> athlon 3gig
>
> Are you overclocking with phase change?
>
> ;)

begging your pardon, its a 3gig chip, overclocked to run at 2.5gig
Fri 26/03/04 at 23:05
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Muss_2 wrote:
> athlon 3gig

Are you overclocking with phase change?

;)
Fri 26/03/04 at 22:58
Regular
"Twice the halfwit"
Its the Don of games.

Got it today, and it runs liquid on my mahcine. (athlon 3gig, 512 pc 3200 ddr, Radeon 9600 and other misc stuff ;))

The AI completely muller you and i'm only playing on medium difficulty. Monsters scare the crap outta you. and both the humans and trigens look fantastic. im only running medium spec!

HAHAHAHAHHAA - Muss wants more.

Just killed 3 mercs and some creature jumped out of a bush and killed me. i jumped so high i only just managed to peal myself of the ceiling to right this post.

Far Cry - Most enthusiastic thumbs up.
Fri 26/03/04 at 19:19
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Just about to order, trying to find best place to do so....

Anyone play today?
Tue 23/03/04 at 20:34
Regular
"Tag This."
cipro wrote:
> Yay, I pre-ordered it for £18, but don't hold your breath, the
> place I ordered it from has now upped the price to £25. Got to
> love pre-ordering, and out next week too, can't wait.

I got it for free on Game-A-Day :)

Just waiting for Friday to come around...
Tue 23/03/04 at 11:05
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Safedisc_V2 wrote:
> Adrian, what drivers are you using – you have an ATI vid card right?
> I am running the Omega drivers based on the 4.2’s. Just wondered if
> you have tried the 4.3’s with Far Cry and how they impact
> performance.

4.3 drivers. As the demo is in a different section I dont know how they have made a difference. Also in the demo I couldnt set certain things to Very High, as it would not accept the setting.

I know that the 4.3 drivers increased UT2004 by a decent amount, at times on the Onslaught map I would get 55 fps on 4.2 and this increased to 65 fps on 4.3.

The very first bit of Far Cry gives more fps than the outside. If the outside is open like on the beach then I can get 50 fps with everything on very high or ultra high, and trillinar filtering to 1 and no AA of any settings in the ATI panel. I want to play on 1280x960 as 1024x768 looks crap due to it being a 19" monitor. If it was a 17" then 1024x768 would look better than it does.

Havent really played Far Cry yet as I have had Uni work I need to get finished as well as getting everything on my PC sorted out.
Tue 23/03/04 at 10:07
Regular
"uncopyable"
Ah, yeah, my mistake on the water thing. I was reading a tweaks guide that was based on the Far Cry demo and it was talking about enabling the high-end water effects - and that this needed to be done in a config file. However, when I was messing around with the game last night, I noticed that in the set-up screen, you can actually change the water from the 'very high' quality setting, to 'ultra high' quality setting - which as you say Adrian, enabled the reflection of everything on the water.

To be honest when I was setting up the game it didn't even occur to me that there could be a setting above 'very high' quality for the water! But there was :-D

Hmm interesting Adrian. The level where I noticed the interior sections slow down was when you are inside the derelict carrier – toward the end of the second section.

I now have the game running well and at a nice level of detail – around 60-70 FPS in outdoor areas with a short view distance, about 50-60FPS for outdoor areas that have a long draw distance and about the same FPS for in door areas.

I am getting these FPS at 1024 X 800, all in game settings maxed out (water on ultra-high), except for shadow quality which is set at ‘normal’. Also have X2 AA and 2X AS set through the ATI control panel – just to smooth out those edges ;-)

Looks good and plays very well.

Adrian, what drivers are you using – you have an ATI vid card right? I am running the Omega drivers based on the 4.2’s. Just wondered if you have tried the 4.3’s with Far Cry and how they impact performance.
Mon 22/03/04 at 17:53
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Safedisc_V2 wrote:
> I still haven’t finishing tweaking the game. Got a patch today that
> gives you reflections on the water of everything - trees, buildings
> etc all reflect on the water. Something that is not available as a
> normal option. Must be done through the config file.

Cool. Any chance of posting a link? On mine the water seems to reflect everything, helicopters appear as reflections in the water.

I get faster frames inside, well in the first level anyway. I like having a resolution of 1280x960 as anything less looks crap especially on a 19" monitor. Runs pretty well on mine as I have a stock 9800 Pro 128mb then 1024mb 333 RAM and a XP2800.
Mon 22/03/04 at 17:09
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Mines a 512mb, 2.8 P4 with a 9800 card.

I don't mind turning settings down.
Mon 22/03/04 at 17:07
"High polygon count"
Yikes!

Oh well, looks like I'll have to pass on it for now.

The best I can hope to do in the near future is update my video drivers! I'm not paying out a fortune on a new PC for one game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.