GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What's good about Nintendo?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 31/07/01 at 15:18
Regular
HELP! I need some ideas for what's good about Nintendo. Nobody mention originality/the games are better/hardware. I need some genuine ideas for my challenge post.

Thanks.
Tue 31/07/01 at 16:40
RastaBillySkank wrote:

You gonna choose Paper Mario for your win?
> Or something else?

What win? Did I win GAD?

*DJ checks in excitement*
Tue 31/07/01 at 16:39
Ha. Probably TBN, seeing as he's having trouble stuffing all the good points about a GC onto one post.
Tue 31/07/01 at 16:37
Regular
"You've upset me"
DeltaJava wrote:
> Hmm, by tomorrow that Code Red virus will have probably been
> activated...

Yeah it's gonna be re-activiated at 1am.

You gonna choose Paper Mario for your win? Or something else?
Tue 31/07/01 at 16:33
Who would have activated it then? Turbo or Dringo?
Tue 31/07/01 at 16:28
Hmm, by tomorrow that Code Red virus will have probably been activated...
Tue 31/07/01 at 16:21
Bad news FM, he can only write about 1 topic about 1 good thing about the GC, and make it fairly long and interesting!

Not a bad couple of ideas though!
Tue 31/07/01 at 16:14
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Nintendo: Good points

The speed at which the N64 can process, there's no loading time between CD and the small amount of RAM in other consoles. Nintendo stuck with the cart for this main reason, even though they were ridiculed for it by many sectors of the gaming industry.

Nintendo equipped the N64 with some nice upgradable features, something quite lacking in its contemporaries at the time.

They are well known for setting many standards in video games which others have simply copied (Goldeneye, Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong Racing being prime examples).

Their control pads let the way by proving that just digital pads weren't enough, and providing force feedback to their controllers was a brilliant idea.

The Gamecube is actually looking good. For example, Sony quote 60 million polygons per second whereas Nintendo calmly state 6-10 million, with the added note that they are talking about textured, bump mapped polygons with one directional light source whereas Sony aren't.

(Developers did some tests on PS2 and Gamecube, the PS2 pulled 3-6 million polygons compared to the Gamecube's 10-20 million). Of course, these figures are all relative.

Then there was the Rogue Squadron 2 demo incident, where the X-Box was running it at only 12 fps compared to the Gamecube's 60fps.

Nintendo can stream ahead with its capabilities (8 polygon manipulations in one pass, s3 hardware texture compression, huge cache etc) leaving the competition somewhat silenced unless they get their act together quickly. So the future for the Ninty looks quite bright.

Then you need to take into account Nintendo's reputation for quality, their iron fist approach to game releasing, so that only the best squeeze through, practically guaranteeing that every release in the future will be one worth spending your money on.

That kind of reputation Sony haven't got and Microsoft are going to have to earn, but with Nintendo's resident fan base already established, and growing by the day as the GBA is snapped up in its thousands, it has secured a good start to the as yet to be released Gamecube.

So there you go, some good points about Nintendo.
Of course, there are probably hundreds more, and Sony and X-Box fans could take every one of the good points and turn them around, as we so often do :-)
Tue 31/07/01 at 15:57
He has got to write something by tomorrow, he's only got to write about 1 thing, going into the Ninty chat forum wouldn't be so bad, he's only going in there to find out what to write after all!
I bet Dringo is going through the same thing right now!
Tue 31/07/01 at 15:54
Ughhh! if you go in there' you'll never come out alive.

*shudder* *shudder*

*shivers run up cooldog's spine*
Tue 31/07/01 at 15:53
Alternatly, you could go onto the Ninty chat room and ask them what to say!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.