GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"why nintendo should just give up!!"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 30/07/01 at 15:19
Regular
This is not meant as a big offenisve remark to people who really love nintendo and the nintendo company but i feel that it is about time that they should give up on the larger game console market. Throughout the years nintendo have always been second best to some other game consoles(that you must all admit), first it was that the master system and the megadrive which clearly overtook the market from nintendo. Now we have the playstation and PS2 and do nintendo seriously think that the Game Cube will be able to stand up against the PS2, in my own opinion the PS2 should outsell the game cube my popularity alone, and games made for it (eg Gran Turismo 3) Could sell the console by themselves. This, compared to the cutsie, sickening twaddle(Mario, Kurby etc...)that has been presented to the world by Nintendo and their associates, will once again send Nintendo's Game Cube scuttling back to it's creators all bloodied and bashed in the same way that the Playstaion duffed up the "more advanced" N64. Every time i walk into my city centre "GAME" shop there is always someone trading in a nintendo64 for a playstation or PS2, never the other way around. I have seen what the nintendo64 could do and to be honest i was not impressed, the graphics were shoddy and blured and the games are still on cartridges!!! aren't nintendo going to learn that cartridges were years ago and gamers have moved onto discs, will the game cube be still on cartridge. I do admit that the gameboy has been very successfull, luckly for nintendo, but look at the new gameboy advance. The technolgy that is being here was being used in the early 90's by sega's game gear (remember that?) and the graphics were still better then as they didn't use a dot matrix screen and it could double as a portable TV, plus the new gameboy advance does strangly look like the poor old game gear.
Mon 06/08/01 at 01:59
Regular
Oh, and the
> PS2's CPU (The "Emotion Engine") has an MPEG decoder built
> into it so it can play better FMV. The DVD playback facility was
> more of a "Why not?" by Sony.

Don't get nasty Turbo do you always get personal when you disagree?

Anyway according to Namco, Capcom, Konami etc... the emotion engine ahs been far outdated by the Gamecubes as its design specifications makes them create better game easier!
Mon 06/08/01 at 01:59
Regular
yes i posted it twice cause the first one didnt make much sense and had loads of typing errors.
Mon 06/08/01 at 01:58
Regular
Yep look at me im stupid cause i dont know that load of crap that u just typed, but what I do know is that you can throw all the technical crap at me that u like but the fact is that the PS2 is not as powerful as the gamecube. WAnt some technical crap well heres some technical crap just for u MR nutter
The flipper graphics chip that ATI have designed manages to pump out an obscene amount of polygon in real time game situations, far more than playstation 2 and about the same as the X Box.
thats whyn the gamecubes graphics wipe the floor with the blury rushed look of most ps2 games.
Also whatever u say about the manufacture of PS2 games the fact is that it takes a lot longer to make a PS2 game then it does a Gamecube game. Its a bit of a role reversal dont ya think.
Mon 06/08/01 at 01:56
Regular
Yep look at me im stupid cause i dont know what u just typed, but what I do know is that you can throw all the technical at me that u like but the fact is that the PS2 is not as powerful as the gamecube. WAnt some technical well heres some technical just for u.
The flipper graphics chip that ATI have designed manages to pump out an obscene amount of polygon in real time game situations, far more than playstation 2 and aboiut the same as the X Box.
thats whyn the gamecubes graphics why the floor with the blury rushed look of most ps2 games.
Also whatever u say about the manufacture of PS2 games the fact is that it takes a lot longer to make a PS2 game then it does a Gamecube game. Its a bit of a role reversal dont ya think.
Mon 06/08/01 at 01:48
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Tiltawhirl, you are probably the stupidest Ninty I have ever met.

The PS2 is specifically desinged to play games architectually hence the tiny cache and stupidly large BUS. This means it can stream the data directly from the RAM into the processor without being bottlenecked. The Xbox and GC are opting for the easier large cache route but it means that you get bottlenecks sometimes. Because 3D games only run the same command sequence over and over again but have a heavy data need, the cache option works to an extend but the large BUS is a much better idea.

Oh, and the PS2's CPU (The "Emotion Engine") has an MPEG decoder built into it so it can play better FMV. The DVD playback facility was more of a "Why not?" by Sony.
Mon 06/08/01 at 01:42
Regular
Did he? what? erm right.

PS2 designed especially to play games unlike Gamecube right.

Oh yeah the GC plays CD's... er no

DVD's... er no

Internet... it can but nintendo want to concentrate on the more important stuff first

Right now PS2 all above Yes, yes and soon

What do you mean the GC is specially designed to play games?
Mon 06/08/01 at 01:41
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Not really. Now the developers have got the hang of it and the libraries are available, we should be seeing standard production times again.
Mon 06/08/01 at 01:40
Regular
Turbonutter wrote:
> DAMNIT IT'S NOT HARD!!!

The PS2 is designed specifically to play
> games (unlike other systems *cough* Xbox and GC *cough*) and
> therefore needs a different approach than the standard "Load
> everything into the cache and hope to god it doesn't run out"
> approach. It leads to much better graphics and AI but needs a
> different way of thinking. Some devvies can't be bothered and just
> say it's hard instead.

Ummm dont get wrong here but thats a total load of pap, playstation 2 is not designed specifically to play games neither is the xbox, why the hell do u think sony want to turn it into a glorified PC and if is designed just for playing games then how come u can play DVDS on it hmmmmmm.

The only console that is actually designed for the sole purpose of playing games is the gamecube.
Mon 06/08/01 at 01:38
Regular
it is more work though and it takes more time.
Mon 06/08/01 at 01:37
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
DAMNIT IT'S NOT HARD!!!

The PS2 is designed specifically to play games (unlike other systems *cough* Xbox and GC *cough*) and therefore needs a different approach than the standard "Load everything into the cache and hope to god it doesn't run out" approach. It leads to much better graphics and AI but needs a different way of thinking. Some devvies can't be bothered and just say it's hard instead.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.