GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Geekiness"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 30/07/01 at 12:43
Regular
Ok, I'm writing this completely off the top of my head, so bear with me, hopefully it'll all make sense in the end.

Right, now that warning is out of the way I can get on with it:

Geekiness is related to computer games BIG TIME. but in this post I'm not going to comment on how comouter games are seen by people out side of the industry. I'm going to concentrate on geekiness from inside the gaming "club".

Most people on here, who read this, will have at least some interest in games, so hopefully, together, we can figure out an answer to this simple question:

Why is it considered "geeky" to sit and play MS Train Sim all night, yet it's not considered "geeky" to sit and play Counter Strike all night? They are both games, they both allow you to do things you can't (easily) do in real life.

Is it because shooting people is considered MANLY and HARD and COOL?

I would have thought that as gamers are already considered "geeks" by most of the press and other outsiders, that this kind of prejudice wouldn't be happening within our "gaming group".

I'm just as guilty of it as anyone else. I've taken the mick out of Train Sim in a number posts, as have others. But why do we do it? A HUGE number of people have train sets and stuff set up in their lofts and garages, probably more so than flight sim enthusiasts. Yet flight sim people aren't ridiculed like Train Sim people. It;s not just Train Sim, The Sims also comes under this "geeky" label.

However "geeky" it is considered, Train Sim will sell well, *yet no one will admit to buying a copy!!*. It's the same with The Sims, that game and its expansion packs are always in the top ten. Why?

Could it be that these games have the biggest online communities? Where people who like the same thing (Trains, The Sims etc) get together without fear of reprisal?

I just typed The Sims into google, this came up:
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,330,000

1,330,000 pages!?!? Thats A LOT of fans, add ons and web sites out there.

It would seem the meek are content to sit and rule their virtual world, rather than take part in the real one. And who can blame them?
Mon 30/07/01 at 16:36
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
I like things more like Black & White etc.
Mon 30/07/01 at 16:10
Regular
Cooldogs, MS Train Sim has already got a huge floowing on the 'net.

You can get extra's there's a level editor with the game so new stuff will be appearing all the time.

Think of Half Life, add-ons and mods have kept that game alive for years, the same may happen with Train Sim as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to buy it, I think trains are boring as hell, but I was thinking about the prejudice within the gaming world.

I think that The Sims, Champ Man, FLight Sim etc are all boring (thats my opinion, I don't expect evryone to think the same.) but what I was curious about is why Train Sim seems more ridiculed than the rest.
Mon 30/07/01 at 16:06
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Hopefully no one will buy anything to do with the XBOX! :-D
Mon 30/07/01 at 16:06
The reason flight sims are good and train sims are'nt is because of the freedom you get with the flightsim. like I said, you can be in NY then you can go to mount everest, then Paris, then the Carribean, and enjoy the scenery. but like goatboy said with the train sim you can go forwards and backwards, that's dull, there's no freedom. Have you rtied to master the 360 degreee loop, or do an S bend? They are very tricky, and it is very rewarding, when you can do one after hours and hours of practice.

As for your claim about the train sets. I have always had a train set until the past 2 years as I have done my GCSE's. I would love to have a huge train set set up. That would be very interesting, and FUN. When you buy the little accessories and put them next to the track, and build up the scene it is great, but an a PC, you cant change it. you cant enhance it. All you can do is drive the train. It's the other things that make the train sets fun, not the train itself.

I still adhere to The Sims as being extremely fun. You should have a house party, and see them all dancing and swimming, and frying up burgers. It is soooooo funny.
Mon 30/07/01 at 16:04
Regular
£49.99!?!?!?!?!?

Thats a ridiculous price for a PC game.

If XBox games are going to be that steep, then no one'll buy any!!
Mon 30/07/01 at 16:03
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
I find those train simulators etc. Boring!!!!! 'But I seem to find Roller Coaster Tycoon and Theme Park World and the Sims etc. quite enjoyable!!
Mon 30/07/01 at 16:01
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Let me know if it's any good.

One question though:

Microsoft Train Simulator - £49.99

Max Payne - £28.99

Hello?
Mon 30/07/01 at 15:59
Regular
Thanks.

:-)
Mon 30/07/01 at 15:57
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
It's ok YH,you can buy the train game and drive forwards and backwards, nobody will laugh.

Much.
Mon 30/07/01 at 15:55
Regular
But The Sims and Champ Man and Flight Sim are just as boring (IMHO).

Im Flight Sim you can't even blow anything up!!

And Mr Suggly, I didn't say anthing about your comment as I realised you had just missed the time to take your medication.

:-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.