GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Geekiness"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 30/07/01 at 12:43
Regular
Ok, I'm writing this completely off the top of my head, so bear with me, hopefully it'll all make sense in the end.

Right, now that warning is out of the way I can get on with it:

Geekiness is related to computer games BIG TIME. but in this post I'm not going to comment on how comouter games are seen by people out side of the industry. I'm going to concentrate on geekiness from inside the gaming "club".

Most people on here, who read this, will have at least some interest in games, so hopefully, together, we can figure out an answer to this simple question:

Why is it considered "geeky" to sit and play MS Train Sim all night, yet it's not considered "geeky" to sit and play Counter Strike all night? They are both games, they both allow you to do things you can't (easily) do in real life.

Is it because shooting people is considered MANLY and HARD and COOL?

I would have thought that as gamers are already considered "geeks" by most of the press and other outsiders, that this kind of prejudice wouldn't be happening within our "gaming group".

I'm just as guilty of it as anyone else. I've taken the mick out of Train Sim in a number posts, as have others. But why do we do it? A HUGE number of people have train sets and stuff set up in their lofts and garages, probably more so than flight sim enthusiasts. Yet flight sim people aren't ridiculed like Train Sim people. It;s not just Train Sim, The Sims also comes under this "geeky" label.

However "geeky" it is considered, Train Sim will sell well, *yet no one will admit to buying a copy!!*. It's the same with The Sims, that game and its expansion packs are always in the top ten. Why?

Could it be that these games have the biggest online communities? Where people who like the same thing (Trains, The Sims etc) get together without fear of reprisal?

I just typed The Sims into google, this came up:
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,330,000

1,330,000 pages!?!? Thats A LOT of fans, add ons and web sites out there.

It would seem the meek are content to sit and rule their virtual world, rather than take part in the real one. And who can blame them?
Thu 02/08/01 at 18:08
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
In RE, we had to create our own religion so I did Geekism. My b*tch of a teacher gave me a C but the class lapped it up when I insulted everyone in the class, saying that Chelmsford was a sesspool!

COUNTDOWN TIL MY BIRTHDAY.
Hours:5
Minutes:53
Tue 31/07/01 at 13:39
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Your Honour wrote:
> I did get the idea from PCZone yes.

I read through it, and
> realised that nothing like it had been mentioned on here, so I wrote
> my own piece about it.

I know you said I didn't copy, and I'm
> glad you did say that. I never copy anything, if I take a bit from a
> magazine or web-site I always quote it and say where I got it
> from.

I'm not having a go at you Zeldapro, but some people seem
> very keen to start a witch hunt the moment the word
> "copied" is even whispered around these forums.

Yea, I know, as long as you say or put it completely in yer own words it is fine!! I just posted a comment about the same thing moments before you made this topic!! :-D
Tue 31/07/01 at 09:07
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
COPIED!

I copy everything, all my posts from gulliblefool.com

Even this one.

Eye of The Tiger baby!
Tue 31/07/01 at 08:58
Regular
I did get the idea from PCZone yes.

I read through it, and realised that nothing like it had been mentioned on here, so I wrote my own piece about it.

I know you said I didn't copy, and I'm glad you did say that. I never copy anything, if I take a bit from a magazine or web-site I always quote it and say where I got it from.

I'm not having a go at you Zeldapro, but some people seem very keen to start a witch hunt the moment the word "copied" is even whispered around these forums.
Tue 31/07/01 at 07:44
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
I am not saying that this original post is copied word from word but, did you get the basic idea of this from theis month's issue of PCZONE magazine?

Because in the back it has an article about geekiness and it compares games like Microsoft Train Simulater and the Sims etc. to the gaming comunity of Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament and FPS games?

I know it isn't copied at all becuase every sentence is different from the one in the back but is this where you got the idea from?
Mon 30/07/01 at 21:14
Hey, nice one, gassy.
Mon 30/07/01 at 21:09
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
*drum roll* My 300th post. I don't belive I have done it.

Rocks and empire state buildings do not go well. But if its someone you hate, go ahead.
Mon 30/07/01 at 20:15
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
And push em of the top of the empire estate building attached to a very heavy rock!
Mon 30/07/01 at 20:12
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
how did i forget that?
Mon 30/07/01 at 20:04
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
And a foot in dabollocks!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.