GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cheating In Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 29/07/01 at 16:56
Regular
Looking at the title you’ll probably be thinking that this topic is about people cheating in games. Using cheats for invincibility for example or manipulating something or other to give you extra power. Or something along those lines. Well that’s not what this topic is about. This is about the GAMES THEMSELVES cheating.

Mario Kart 64 is probably the best example I’ve seen of this. Have you noticed that when you use a mushroom or a golden mushroom, that you don’t get very far away from the computer players. If you haven’t noticed, go and play and see for yourself. You seen that? Good. Now there are two sides to this argument so I’m going to express both of them.

Firstly I could argue that this is extremely annoying. Which it is. The fact that you use a turbo boost only to get nowhere is extremely tiresome. I know it frustrates me greatly, it frustrates my sister as well when she plays on it.

But then again I could argue that the game only does this to add an extra incentive to the game. To make it more challenging. Which, of course, it does. If and when you win the race you feel a little bit better because you won even though the computer was cheating. In this sense it’s a good thing, but the fact is that the computers cheating.

You think this is the only time it happens? MK64 again, if the computer player gets hit with something they get blown up like you do, but then they speed off at full speed without needing to build it up at all. Whereas you have to build up your speed until it peaks again. This is VERY annoying to me.

It’s not only in Mario Kart that cheating occurs. In the original Excitebike on the NES, when you crash your rider gets flung from the bike and so has to leg it back and jump on again. When the computer players crash though, they stay on their bike and resume driving immediately. It’s quite disturbing to see cheating like this so early on the life of video games.

As I’ve said. This can sometimes be good, because it makes it tougher and so prolongs the lastability. But surely cheating’s wrong, I mean weren’t you told by your parents that cheating is bad and immoral when you were young? I was.
So why is it there? Do the developers and creators of the games put this in on purpose? Do they intentionally frustrate people by allowing certain privileges to computer controlled characters? Or is it merely a bug?

RBS
Tue 31/07/01 at 08:23
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
LOL! HArsh TW!! :-D
Tue 31/07/01 at 10:49
Regular
"You've upset me"
Sega Gamecube!?!?
Tue 31/07/01 at 13:34
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Yeah I thought that only I guessed there must be a good explanation for it!!

Maybe it is now Sega because of all the games they are making or it was a typo!!
Tue 31/07/01 at 18:58
Tue 31/07/01 at 19:06
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
frogman wrote:
> Such a lier. You have nevr
> had a console you said it yourself.
> Also you have a boffin rich
> family. And to top it all off you
> said you were getting a Sega
> Gamecube and then couldn't even
> name one game for it! Get some
> friends!

Point One
> Samamtha

Learn how to type

Point Two

If i'm so rich how
> come i dont have digital or whatever you call it!, and also if i'm
> such a boffin, well i dont give a toss, as at least i wont be stuck
> in an office typing some crap for a website all my life!!!!!!! Like
> you will be if you dont get any think in IT skills

And finally
> Point Three

I went two chessington with Lauren Lucy and Adam
> yesterday and then today i went london with some of my old friend
> ffom america, and we had fun. So let me ask you something. What have
> you done in the last two days uh!! uh uh uh!!!

Go play your GBA
> you loser

point1. His name is Sam
point2. My 3 yr old cousin knows how to type.
point3. You cud be a rich boffin, but maybe your parents cud be strict on TV or Internet time or sumthing but that dont matter, and being a boffin aint the worst thing, you probably will get a decent job if you are but what is wrong with having a job where you can work at home doing the stuff you like!
point4. What is wrong with a GBA!! The are wicked!!!
point5. Where did you get the sections of your MSR review from?

ZP!!
Tue 31/07/01 at 19:10
Phew, that's a long point.
Tue 31/07/01 at 19:12
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
LOL! Yer!! WE never did find out where it was copied from!!
Tue 31/07/01 at 19:17
sorry ZP i wasnt insulting GBA at all trust me

I just think that sam thinks that he is god

thats all
Tue 31/07/01 at 19:17
Psalm 23 of the SR Bible. It's a rarity.
Tue 31/07/01 at 19:18
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
frogman wrote:
> sorry ZP i wasnt insulting GBA at all trust me

I just think that
> sam thinks that he is god

thats all

Ok dont we all think we are though?? :-s

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.