GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cheating In Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 29/07/01 at 16:56
Regular
Looking at the title youll probably be thinking that this topic is about people cheating in games. Using cheats for invincibility for example or manipulating something or other to give you extra power. Or something along those lines. Well thats not what this topic is about. This is about the GAMES THEMSELVES cheating.

Mario Kart 64 is probably the best example Ive seen of this. Have you noticed that when you use a mushroom or a golden mushroom, that you dont get very far away from the computer players. If you havent noticed, go and play and see for yourself. You seen that? Good. Now there are two sides to this argument so Im going to express both of them.

Firstly I could argue that this is extremely annoying. Which it is. The fact that you use a turbo boost only to get nowhere is extremely tiresome. I know it frustrates me greatly, it frustrates my sister as well when she plays on it.

But then again I could argue that the game only does this to add an extra incentive to the game. To make it more challenging. Which, of course, it does. If and when you win the race you feel a little bit better because you won even though the computer was cheating. In this sense its a good thing, but the fact is that the computers cheating.

You think this is the only time it happens? MK64 again, if the computer player gets hit with something they get blown up like you do, but then they speed off at full speed without needing to build it up at all. Whereas you have to build up your speed until it peaks again. This is VERY annoying to me.

Its not only in Mario Kart that cheating occurs. In the original Excitebike on the NES, when you crash your rider gets flung from the bike and so has to leg it back and jump on again. When the computer players crash though, they stay on their bike and resume driving immediately. Its quite disturbing to see cheating like this so early on the life of video games.

As Ive said. This can sometimes be good, because it makes it tougher and so prolongs the lastability. But surely cheatings wrong, I mean werent you told by your parents that cheating is bad and immoral when you were young? I was.
So why is it there? Do the developers and creators of the games put this in on purpose? Do they intentionally frustrate people by allowing certain privileges to computer controlled characters? Or is it merely a bug?

RBS
Sat 04/08/01 at 13:09
Hey Sam, How about giving up our slagging match, yey or ney?
Oh and dont insult my new post. please

Frogman

P.S is that Joey bloke your brother or not, because i think he's being a little rude.
Tue 31/07/01 at 21:35
Regular
"AKA Khazar"
MJwEvE wrote:
> Oi Joey........sort out the SPAG or I will be forced to teach you to
> spell :). I mean it now, run along and practice the
> alphabet.

(;o|

Well,sounds like alot of work,but since your status is above me ill go along wiv it...A.B..C..E? ah..too much work.I just cant switch from msn to this.I;ll try guys.
Tue 31/07/01 at 20:41
There's quite a few on the Ninty forums. But now that Strafex's gone on hols, i'm not visiting the place as much as before.
Tue 31/07/01 at 20:40
Regular
"You've upset me"
I haven't seena JAT on these forums for ages and then suddenly, two of them appear at once!
Tue 31/07/01 at 20:37
Hello, TILTAWHIRL. Your name reminds me of KuruKuruKurukin.

Or similar.
Tue 31/07/01 at 20:31
Regular
Yeah Ive seen that and
> ave you noticed that the computer can easily catch up with you even
> if they are miles behind.
Like if you do the jump at the start of
> Rainbow Road (where you jump over the side) or jump the wall on
> Mario Circuit or whatever you are miles ahead of the computer but
> they still catch up with you no probs. So annoying!
It does make
> it more challenging as you said though.

Mario Kart is still great
> but why did they loose Koopa Troopa out of the N64 version?
Im sure
> ive seen a pic with him in it.

If u do the shortcut jumpin over the walls in wario stadium they dont catch up with you.

They should have got read of princess (probably the most annoying character in a game ever) and kept koopa
Tue 31/07/01 at 20:21
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
Oi Joey........sort out the SPAG or I will be forced to teach you to spell :). I mean it now, run along and practice the alphabet.

(;o|
Tue 31/07/01 at 20:14
I don't think he is khaz. I have a few mates at skool called joe or joseph.
Tue 31/07/01 at 19:59
Regular
"You've upset me"
Kapoera Gaebora wrote:
> ...that games will become so powerful that we will eventually use a
> fully surronding and interactive Virtual Reality in our own homes,
> and that computers will take care of all our normal chores!!??

No.

I believe... that I... RastaBillySkank AKA CJC AKA Chris... Am hungry. *Munching choccy*

Mmmmmm..

Oh and Joey, please don't ruin my topic with you naff SPAG and you unamusing anecdotes. And isn't Khaz' name Joe? And doesn't he go to the same school as Froggy and Sam, becuase he's Sam's brother? Joey, are you Khaz? No? All right then.
Tue 31/07/01 at 19:58
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
Mario Kart 64
> is probably the best example Ive seen of this. Have you noticed
> that when you use a mushroom or a golden mushroom, that you dont
> get very far away from the computer players. If you havent noticed,
> go and play and see for yourself. You seen that?

Yeah Ive seen that and ave you noticed that the computer can easily catch up with you even if they are miles behind.
Like if you do the jump at the start of Rainbow Road (where you jump over the side) or jump the wall on Mario Circuit or whatever you are miles ahead of the computer but they still catch up with you no probs. So annoying!
It does make it more challenging as you said though.

Mario Kart is still great but why did they loose Koopa Troopa out of the N64 version?
Im sure ive seen a pic with him in it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.