GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"When Dringo snapped..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 14/04/04 at 10:15
Regular
Being a die-hard Nintendo fan is not easy you know. Every morning I get up, bow to my Gamecube, kiss all my joy pads and religiously study the manuals of all my Nintendo games (SNES. NES, N64, Gamecube and Gameboy). Every piece of negative news I spin into a positive light, I do it so well, Nintendo should hire me as their PR wizard.

But I’ve had enough. Nintendo you are one ******* stupid bloody piece of ****. That’s right it is I, the legendary Dringo, he who can not be slain by Playstation and starves off the threat of the X-box who is saying this you proud ******. What the hell are you playing at? I’m a WESTERN NINTENDO FAN, I don’t get all those ******* titles from Japan with the words Giftipia or Animal Forest printed on the side. And the ones I do get, Doshin the ******* Giant, turns out to be a pile of utter toss.

Every time I spin some negative news article into a positive light but why? Who’s the idiot now ah? You cut second party ties with a certain Left Field, Left Field (NBA courtside and Excitebike 64) are your sports developer; they make your sports games. But oh look you don’t REALLY need them now SEGA has gone multi-format with their sports range. So remove them, who cares. Oh well look at that, less than a year later and SEGA cancel all their sports titles for the Gamecube. WOOPS! Now whom can you turn to? That’s right NO ONE, I have noticed you are now making your own mature sports games (the upcoming Legend of Golfer) but it’s too late.

Ah yes Nintendo, now onto Rare Ware. My previous status was that “they’re crap anyway” and that “they lost Nintendo money”. ********, you ARE dumb aren’t you Nintendo? Want to know why they didn’t make you much money in the year before you sold them? Because they didn’t ACTUALLY release any bloody games! Rare Ware are an unresponsive developer but they were your other half, they are more than Silicon Knights, Left Field, HAL etc... put together. They made Banjo, Conker, Killer Instinct, Donkey Kong and Perfect Dark… all of these are BIG Nintendo releases, well they would have been if you hadn’t ******* sold them! Look at this, your sales aren’t up to scratch! Could this be down to a certain absence of a company that made half your AAA titles? It nearly forced me away, but then that was okay, at least you have Retro Studios and Silicon Knights.

Oh Sympathy where have you gone.

First off you crush Retro Studio’s. A bit of a re-shuffle was needed, EAD’s help was appreciated on Metroid Prime. BUT did you really need to destroy the 4 teams that were there into 1? Raven Blade, that racer and that football game WAS exactly what Nintendo Gamecube lacks. A decent footy game, a decent exclusive racing title and a mature action RPG. But you cancelled them. Did you really have to scrap all those games?

And now modern day. The one that made me snap. I love Silicon Knights. True they are hardly a true example of Nintendo (prefer cinematic gameplay and adult games) but that was the point. Nintendo you’ve told me time and time again how you want to be more “adult” and Eternal Darkness and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes are YOUR most mature games. And you cut ties with the company behind them? Too Human can now return to the PS2, which it was originally coded for, and you’ve lost yet another special western developer.

I know Nintendo. You have loads of second parties, some I never even knew about including that new sports developer SETA (ever heard of them? No neither have I). But Rare, Silicon Knights, the full Retro team and Left Field could have all pushed Nintendo in both Europe and America. You would have defeated Microsoft and competed more fiercely. But instead you try to get exclusives from other companies that simply do not sell. Capcom are having to cancel their plans to keep Viewtiful Joe and Killer 7 exclusive and cannot wait for the Resident Evil deal to expire. Namco are doing okay but that’s because they hardly support Nintendo as much as they support Sony. SEGA have been drifting away ever so slowly, remember the Virtual Fighter RPG and the sonic series were once exclusive to Nintendo. They are both now lost.

So tell me Nintendo, who do you have left to sell your product to the western world? You don’t have Rare, you don’t have Silicon Knights, you don’t have Left field. Christ you don’t even have Capcom anymore. And in fact you’ve even lost Dringo, your most avid supporter. Sure I love Zelda and Mario, but I’m a western gamer, I have western needs and the only western game you actually make is Metroid Prime, and I don’t even like it.

Maybe one day you’ll acquire some killer, high profile companies such as Capcom, Midway or Free Radical Design. But in the mean time I need to raise funds for an X-box. After all a western Nintendo fan needs his Rare.

Dringo.
Page:
Wed 14/04/04 at 14:03
Regular
Oh and another thing, my Xbox constantly crashes when I'm on Live. It's the one console that really has given me a lot of trouble, I've had to replace my Rainbow Six 3 disk because it's been scratched to pieces by the drive. It's not that I don't look after my games, but I constantly get 'disk may be dirty or scratched messages' when there's nothing even wrong with the sodding thing.

The Xbox drive really is rubbish.
Wed 14/04/04 at 13:59
Regular
I thought you were going?

TGMbloke wrote:

> Mayby I have been exceedingly unlucky then, but I keep all my disc in
> extreemly good condition, as with the Cube, but the damn thing is
> unplayable in most games! Crashes, after crashes, usually when
> saving, messing up the file, doubly annoying!

As I said, drool and consoles don't mix.

> And the controllers...Oh dear. Iv had so many, the
> "clickers" in the triggers just "pop" quite
> simply and no longer work.

Tard hands, I knew it.

>
> As for the GBA link up - would you rather pay £20 for a VMU or
> £99 for an SP for a few silly little extras? My point exactly.

If you think the GBA ois just bought to be a link-up then you're stupider than I thought.

> The Cube is a disater. I expected an N64 with better graphics. Mayby
> Rare have started on a rocky start, so, they did on the N64. Blast
> Corps.

Cube hasn't impressed me as much as N64, but it's far from a disaster. Oh and Blast Corps was a damn could game, Grabbed by the Ghoulies is about as entertaining as catching piles.

> Mario
> Sunshine was crap, come on. Mario 64 was so well constructed.
> Penguine races, collecting hats....Its a miricle, even when played
> back today. Mario Sunshine consists of cleaning up crud off a beach.

If you really think all Sunshine was, was cleanining crud off a beach, you clearly didn't even play it. There was a hell of a lot more variety in Sunshine than there ever was in 64.

> Boring. As for Zelda, what where they on? Zeldas a mature game with
> long story lines and gameplay that challenges the brain. Maybe they
> decided they wanted to do the complete opposite for this one. Short,
> easy, kiddie. And yes I played the whole thing.

Short easy and kiddie?

Seriously dude, just f**k off and stop filling these pages with your crap.

>
> Maymy its where I was expecting so, so, so much. But im glad I never
> spent a penny on it, and my brother did. For I "settled"
> with an XBOX which quite frankly, forfills the criteria I ironically
> set Nintendo.

I enjoy my Xbox, but it's far from perfect. Single player games really don't make the mark, Microsoft seems to be putting all its eggs in one basket with Live. If I didn't have broadband I would seriously be questioning the worth of my Xbox.

And if Rare get their act together, and the PSP takes
> off I fear a once legendary company may go bye bye.

If Rare get their act together then we can expect a good game maybe every....2 years?
Wed 14/04/04 at 13:55
Regular
"You've upset me"
TGMbloke wrote:
> Not once has one thing about the GC impressed me and made me think
> "Wow! Nintnedo are amazing!" like the N64, SNES and NES
> did. Its just dissapointment, after dissapointment.

Now that I do agree with. In no way am I calling the GC a bad console, but it has been very underwhelming for me. It has not agitated the excitement in me that all of Nintendo's previous consoles have. It's had it's moments, playing Mario Sunshine was incredible... for about 10 hours. Then it got dull. Same with Mario Kart, great little game just too short. The problem for me is not that the GC hasn't delivered, it just hasn't delivered enough.

On the developer issue, I would just like to point out that Nintendo hasn't actuall let Silicon Knights "go", it's just withdrawn it's 2nd part status. It will continue to devleop for and release games on the GC, but they just aren't an exclusive devleoper any more.

I'll be done with my Cube once I own Paper Mario 2.
Wed 14/04/04 at 13:34
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
TGMbloke wrote:
> Crap controllers that break (only one rumble motor, no analouge
> action buttons, short cords, tacky A button, triggers that
> "Click" and break)

Gamecube controller is easily the best out of the lot. And if you break them, then you either have plates for hands, or you're some kind of spastic. Sorry, but it's true. And as for the wires issue... ever heard of the Wavebird?

> No Rare for gods sake - Best N64 games? Banjo, Mario, Conker,
> Goldeneye, PD, Zelda. Only two of which have a chance of going on
> Nintendo console again.

That's funny, because Banjo has already appeared on a Nintendo console since Rare left, and Goldeneye will be appearing on a Nintendo console (possibly two), just not made by the same developers. And because Conker's new game is going to be crud, and Perfect Dark isn't going to see the light of day for aat least another two years, if ever, then I really don't see what Nintendo are missing.

> No 3rd Party games. Wheres Fifa, Colin Mcrea, and Edios at all? I see
> SEGA leaving very slowly too...

Are you blind or something? FIFA always makes an appearence on both Gameucbe and GBA, while Eidos have brought a number of games, including Hitman, to the Gamecube. They may not now be releasing their games on the console, but they've left us with some good memories. And SEGA leaving very slowly as well? I'm sorry, but all I can say about that point is that it is retarded. SEGA support the Gamecube far more than they support the Xbox and PS2. If you were sad enough to count, I'm sure you'd find more SEGA games on the Gamecube than on either the PS2 or Xbox.

> Buggy - My Cube consistantly crashes and breaks. Iv replacfed it, and
> the same happens again.

My Gamecube has never crashed, so either you're talking balls, you're very unlucky, or you sit on your Gamecube inadvertantly.

> Mario Sunshine was crap. Zelda was very crap. There, iv said it.
> Metroid has no multiplayer.

Heh, you've obviously never played either of them. Mario Sunshine was a fantastic experience, and it emphasised all things Nintendo brilliantly. Zelda, meanwhile, excelled in about every department there is... visually stunning, with a fantastic plotline, which was exciting as well. Never a dull moment. How you can call the best game on the Gamecube crap, I really do not know. And Metroid Prime doesn't need a multiplayer: it's brilliant enough as it is.

> SELL YOUR GC WHILE ITS STILL WORTH SOMTHING. And with the £30
> you get for it, but a Dreamcast from the second hand store, now THATS
> a console.

Yeah, I hate to say it, but it's a console that failed. Gamecube hasn't failed, so you're making a really pointless comparison there.
Wed 14/04/04 at 13:32
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
This is all getting silly, but in the interests of balance my cube crashed 3 times last night playing Rebel Strike, and it's the only controller that has ever given me cause to stop playing through pain in my hand (F-Zero master mode).
Wed 14/04/04 at 13:13
Regular
TGMbloke wrote:
> Crap controllers that break (only one rumble motor, no analouge
> action buttons, short cords, tacky A button, triggers that
> "Click" and break)

The Cube's controller is easily the best designed for most games.

> Buggy - My Cube consistantly crashes and breaks. Iv replacfed it, and
> the same happens again.

My GameCube has never crashed, after 50 games put to good use and having it since release. My brother's PS2 (which he's had for a bit longer than my Cube) is falling to pieces and XBox regularly crashes. So nope, wrong again.

> Mario Sunshine was crap. Zelda was very crap. There, iv said it.
> Metroid has no multiplayer.

Disappointing? Yes. Crap? No. And like Tiltawhirl said, Prime was never meant to be multiplayer, the system would suck for it.
Wed 14/04/04 at 13:09
Regular
I am also really, really annoyed. I wish Nintendo would get their heads out of their ar*es and realise what's going on in the real world. Silicon were brilliant, Eternal darkness was an absolute masterpiece and Too Human looked similarly impressive, and now they go and let them go just because SK prefered content-driven games?

When will they realise that it's not all down to gameplay and gameplay alone. Not everyone wants to do backflips with a fat, useless plumber, not everyone wants to travel through dungeons to save whatever has been captured by Ganon this time around. Some people want an engrossing storyline, cinematic cut-scenes and an atmosphere. But oh no, they don't want that so they won't allow one of the best developers of this day and age (in my opinion) have some freedom to make their own titles, rather than Nintendo-driven games.

I do believe Nintendo are missing Rare. StarFox was balls, but it showed what the Cube could do and did prove to have a farily nice flow to it, Grabbed by the Ghoulies wasn't a disaster, it does what it's meant, be an easy to play, enjoyable romp and while not the perfect introduction into XBox development, certainly not a bad start. Their games have always appealed to western markets, whether games like Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct and Banjo do live up to their expectations, who cares, they'll always sell some much-needed units and give Nintendo a bit of life.

I believe that Eternal Darkness and other similarly dark franshises (perhaps Too Human if that isn't a one-off) could also appeal in the same way with a bit of backing and some freedom to express the developers needs. But oh no, Nintendo though because they're not Nintendo games, they should be let go. But they are Nintendo games. Eternal Darkness is the most Nintendo adult title I've ever played, just because they don't display the same amount of focus on raw gameplay that Nintendo do, they love epics, they like to make different games, albeit in a different style to Nintendo. You don't need some water-powered backpack to be original; a superb story, memorable, living characters and even just different ways of scaring the player. That's innovation in a different way.

I had a go on Metroid Prime last night (I moved onto another game halfway through Hard) and it just reminded me how much better it is that Zelda, than Mario, than Double Dash, and it too is content driven. It the closest thing I can think of that blends SK's approach to innovation with Nintendo's. I unique cntrol system with original gameplay elements, along with a self-contained plotline and one of the most heart-wreching atmosphere's ever to exist. It's truly genius and a sign of what Retro are capable of. This is the peak of the GameCube for me, along with Eternal Darkness to a lesser extent, but no doubt Nintendo will try to influence Retro even further and who knows, perhaps they'll move the same way as SIlicon Knights if the worst comes to the worst.

And Nintendo's future? Well who knows. A Capcom buyout, while it would be wonderful, is unlikely. We've seen little proof of Nintendo trying to push Capcom's products, bar maybe the 'Adult's Get Scared Too' campaign, so unless they're dedicated to the Resident Evil's, Killer 7's and Viewtiful Joe's, I wouldn't expect much. Camalot will probably be snapped up instead, yet another Eastern developer, and who know's, we may even see Treasure in the near future on Nintendo's side, but judging by Wario World, again Nintendo can't seem to leave their developers alone.

Links are breaking with Capcom (5 exclusives turning into 2), with Namco (Tales no longer GameCube only) and now the desolved partnership between Nintendo and one of their few links to Western gamers. At the moment, I hate them for how stupid they are.

When will they wake up? The failure of the DS? The failure of the N5? Bankruptcy? I shudder to think.
Wed 14/04/04 at 12:59
Regular
I have a life yet on Rainbow Six 3 people think I am some sort of weirdo.
Wed 14/04/04 at 12:51
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> TGMbloke wrote:
>
> No online, but ohh....a pretty GBA lead. As soon as PSP comes out im
> afriad that wont be an exclusive feature anymore, and Sony will sell
> it quicker than a Walkman and Playstation 2 combo. Oh - wait. Thats
> what it is.
>
> Online isn't everything, sure Live is a nice feature. But it can't
> beat a really top quality single player game.

You're forgetting that a good multiplayer such as the likes of Mario Kart, Mario Party, Super Monkey Ball etc, when played pished with 3 friends is much better fun than playing some weirdo over the internet who can hit a head shot from everywhere. (Some online gamers really don't have lives)
Wed 14/04/04 at 12:47
Regular
I'm sorry but online play makes the Xbox, without it the console would be screwed.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.