GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Machine Bias"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/07/01 at 13:46
Regular
In my time here, and throughout my history of gaming, I have noticed that people are very biased to their machines. There has been a bit of gloating by the Ninties on prime topics at the mo, and that has spawned this.

Nintys recon they are the best. They will not take it any other way. Even though the Cube isnt out yet and wont be for quite a while, they are claiming that it is the best machine ever made. They are happy to s**g any other machine or game not on the nintendo, regardless of how good it is. There is bragging by the nintys in prime topics at the mo as there are some PS2 titles being converted to the Cube. Does that make your machine any better? No! It means that they want to sell great games to a wider audience.

Sega fans used to be similar. Fair enough, the DC was a great machine, but I have heard from a number of people a while back that the Dreamcast was the only choice for hardcore gamers, and that the PS was cheddar in comparison. The majority of these changed their tune when the PS2 was released, and the rest followed when Sega announced the death of the DC and the games were coming to the PS2. They have generally lost their attitude against other machines and can accept the quality titles that exist on other machines, though they still like the sega games. Fair enough, Sega has made some great games.

X-Box fans are few and far between. They are wowed by the screenshots, yet understand that they have a lot to fight, so they take a back burner and wait for judgement day.

Sony fans seem to be the more rounded sort. they have great games, just like the other machines, but there isnt as much of the "mines better than yours" rubbish. They understand that other machines have great games just as much as theirs, and can appreciate the merits of other machines.

Of course there is exeptions to this, people buy machines because they like the games, or they like what the machine has to offer. Its that some get sucked into this mindset that theirs is the greatest. I'm not saying that there arent Sony fans that say the PS2 is the best thing since sliced bread, or that there arent ninty fans that say that the PS2 is a good machine but they are holding out for a Cube. Im just getting tired of all these Ninty fans banging on about how their new machine that isnt even out yet will completely anialate all opposition based on some specs and some screenshots. At least until your nachine is out? yes?

Why cant we all just get along? Accept that there is more than one great machine, there are many games that are good on every playform, and not s**g people for not having your personal bias towards your favourite. It's a bit childish, isnt it?

(I can see a war coming on...:) )
Sun 29/07/01 at 02:06
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I know, arguing's great fun!
Sat 28/07/01 at 21:21
Regular
I'll say this once and once only.

Yes some Ninty fans are a bit stupid but there are just as many Sony fans who are just as bad.

Everyones a little biased towards their own machines (although most of us are wise enough to know that others are good, even if not as good.)

Anyone who argues in these console wars are childish and immature.

That goes for Ant, me, Wookie, Kingklik, Turbonutter... etc.

And yes, we're all as bad as each other.

Some people come up with stupid arguments like that N64ever kid but so long as you're arguing in good humour,

WHO CARES IF YOU'RE BEING CHILDISH!

IT'S FUN!!!
Sat 28/07/01 at 19:35
Regular
I'm in favour of hitting sheep.

I'd also like to see the co-driver messing up his notes at times of crisis. Or hear the co-driver say 'blimey' or 'crikey' occasionally. More life like co-drivers please.
Sat 28/07/01 at 12:41
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Yeah I hope you can hit people but not too often or it will become unrealistic..
Sat 28/07/01 at 03:07
Iv'e done that changing the subject of the orgional post thing again haven't I, sorry mediators don't punnish me- well not to hard anyway- well a bit harder than that -yea baby yea hit me slap me beat me
OPPS DID I TYPE THAT!!
Sat 28/07/01 at 03:04
They played that docco. here aswell and if you looked closely the guy jumping out of the way with the motion capture suit on was actually hit by the guy on the chair with weels on once so hopefully they will make it so you can hit them (well I think - If they digitised it they should put it in the game!) maybee we should start a poll and then one of the mediators can send it to evolution studios-

And hey it happens in real life last year in the Rally of New Zealand a cameraman was hit by one of the cars that went out of control after jumping, and the year before (I think it was Carlos Sainz) hit a sheep at full speed as he came over the crest of hill (Thank goodnes of in car cam) BAAAAAA!

QUESTION- Do you want them to include the hitting out of the way of spectators (and sheep and camera men in the NZ stages)in the WRC2001 Game, Yes or No?
Fri 27/07/01 at 19:01
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Damn it. I wanted to kill some spectators...
Fri 27/07/01 at 16:15
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
I saw on the telly a while back about them making the WRC, and they were motion capturing men jumping onto matresses for people diving out the way if youre going to drive into them

how cool is that!?!
Fri 27/07/01 at 15:08
From what I've seen of WRC2001 and comparing it to CM2 it's like comparing GT3 and Pole Position one the origional arcade machine, and as I work with a rally team I can see all the little things they have put in (eg marshals whistles going off on the replays) that make it that much more realistic. not to mention the flling off cliffs thing wookie was talking about. YEEEEHAAAAAaaaaaaa!
Fri 27/07/01 at 14:16
"High polygon count"
It's supposed to be much more like Colin McRae - only more realistic. Mess up and you can actually go over a cliff...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.