GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Classic PC- Deus Ex"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Deux Ex'.
Fri 16/04/04 at 11:02
Regular
I found this cheap the other day, and remembering the rave critical acclaim, I tried it.

But the thing is, although I could understand SOME darkness in the game, this is taking pisss! You can barely see what anything is. You walk into a wall and all you see is pitch black. You turn around looking for some light to see where you are. No dice.

So you turn and hold forward until you think you can see something.

Now personally, it's so poor that I'm starting to think my set-up is wrong with the graphics card... I mean people loved this game, and I don't care what difference of opinions people have, no one would find the game I played fun!

Anysway, if anyone has an inkling of what I'm saying then any help would be appreciated. :-)

See how I always wind up here whenever I buy a PC game?
Stupid bugged things! :-D
Mon 19/04/04 at 22:42
Regular
One of the great things about it is that you can rush through the levels, but you're rewarded for adventuring. I find it's usually the people that explore the areas that ultimately get the most out of the game.
Mon 19/04/04 at 00:40
Regular
Ok.

It was just the training and the first minute of the first mission that was stupidly dark. The rest is nicely lit. :-)

Yeah, it's a pretty good game, graphics poor by today's standard but good for the time... blah blah blah. :-)
I'm actually enjoying it now though. :-)
Sun 18/04/04 at 14:07
Regular
The graphics are fine. I actually think they're quite good.

It got 9/10 because OPSM2 are stupid. It deserves 10.

If you can't get past the first level, play it on Easy, choose the GEP gun and use stealth.
Sun 18/04/04 at 13:36
Regular
"object"
I have it on ps2 i dont know what all the rave was about its graphics look like the back end of a dog, i dont know how it ended up geting an 18 rating,it even got 9/10 and over 32 game of the year rewards i regret geting it. How on are u suppost 2 get past the first level it to hard and its a crap game.
Sat 17/04/04 at 10:17
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Fiery Salamander wrote:
> Use the gamma slider you knobheads

Ha ha ha, that made me laugh. Yeah, it's an old trick for games like Quake and Wolfenstein. Works too, which is cool.
Sat 17/04/04 at 08:05
"For the horde!!!!"
Use the gamma slider you knobheads
Fri 16/04/04 at 23:10
Regular
Hmm... perhaps it is your graphics card.

It was actually fine for me - light or no light.
Fri 16/04/04 at 22:57
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Press F12 when playing you tassel ;)

That gives me a tiny spot light which helps a tiny bit, only the battery runs out within a minute and then you can't see a think, where you are or anything.

I mean, I don't mind the graphics when I can actually see them, but for the most part I can only see pitch black so it's hard to tell what you're doing, where you're going and it's a head-ache.

Seriously, it's so bad that I'm really thinking that the graphics card is the problem, because no game could be this unplayable and raved about.
Fri 16/04/04 at 17:20
Regular
Cyclone wrote:
> The FPS bit was dreadul. Non-linear.....as in it was the first game to
> offer such choice? I might accept that. But non-linear is a very
> relative term in games - It certainly was not in terms of
> narrative...

The FPS parts weren't dreadful at all. I found them to be really enjoyable - especially as they blended so well the RPG and stealth aspects. Modding up a stealth pistol to full efficiency, for example, and using it to take out every guard in an entire building was very satisfying. Then there was the GEP gun, assault rifle, and loads of other weapons that were fun to use and could be enhanced.

Also, as Ali says, it was incredibly non-linear in the way that you could choose what you said and there were many ways to go about a particular objective.
Fri 16/04/04 at 15:11
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I used to have a game called "Ecstatica". Awful graphics, but it let you bludgeon a Priest with a Bible until he fell from a church tower. Not that is good gameplay.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.