GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Resident Evil 4"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Resident Evil 4'.
Mon 19/04/04 at 12:28
Regular
I think everyone agrees that this looks the absolute dogs danglies from the recent traaler released, but I'm just a little sceptical about the use of the original Resi controls. The change from fixed to flowing camera angles is obviously a huge move for the series and will no doubt redefine a hugely popular series and hopefully improve it, but the use of the 'acceration' button just doesn't seem like it would work in such a fast-paced game.

Which is why I was wondering if anyone's heard anything about a lock-on system. Looking at one of the scenes, where one of the crazy yokels is throwing a scythe at Leon from a rooftop, the aiming seems to quickly move towards the target and shoot the projectile out of the sky. Looking at the massive ogre-type boss, it seems that you have full analogue control over your character, and I can't really imagine the bosses working without it.

So perhaps when locked on, you can most around the target, Zelda style. This may have been mentioned before, but I haven't heard anything about it, and it certainly seems like Resi 4 needs more freedom of control.
Mon 19/04/04 at 20:58
Regular
"rock kickin!"
I JUST HATE REDEADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mon 19/04/04 at 20:55
Regular
Loquacious Duck wrote:
> Remember when you first played a micro-machines racer? (Or another
> racer that had those kind of directional controlls)

Yeah, on Kirby Air Ride's Top Ride (MM clone), you have a choice between Resi-esque control and full analogue, and the former is much better suited to it.
Mon 19/04/04 at 20:55
Regular
"bit of a brain"
The only reason they had those directional controls was because of the change in camera angles. I mean, you would run between two cameras, up to go through the doorway, and the camera would switch,you would still be holding up, and you would now go back through the door. You would just go in circles, if you see what I mean, and so they needed directional controls. Now with a third person camera, I'm sure things will change. Unless the camera never moves frem behind Leon, as if he were stuck in the same place on the screen, á la Max Payne.
Mon 19/04/04 at 20:52
Regular
Yeah, I tried like that but almost died in anger. Then I changed it and it was a lot better, almost fluent, but still awful. Have to say, it does suit the fixed camera set-up, though.
Mon 19/04/04 at 20:52
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> It's so archaic, and they
> shouldn't stick with it just for nostalgia's sake, 'just to keep it
> Resi' you could say.

I doubt they'll do that - so much has changed - the camera, the zombies, I'm sure they're not going to be held back by tradition with the controlls.

If they do keep those controlls it'll be bacause they genuinely work.

Remember when you first played a micro-machines racer? (Or another racer that had those kind of directional controlls)
They were awkward at first, but it soon felt natural, and were better suited to the game than having to use split screen and 'normal' controls.
Mon 19/04/04 at 20:48
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Did you never play with the default control system / any of the games not on the gamecube?
Obviously not. It was the main complaint about the Resi controls, that you had to slowly rotate to actually run away from anything. Which usually got you killerd.
Mon 19/04/04 at 20:41
Regular
I always used R to go forwards and left and right to 'steer', so to speak. Never knew you could go backwards.
Mon 19/04/04 at 19:12
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Correction - that was all that you could do.

Don't you remember - they had to implement a button to do a turn, otherwise you had to wheel the control stick all the way around.
Pulling down on the stick made you go slowly backwards.

Geeb your memory is awful.
Mon 19/04/04 at 18:03
Regular
Well there are obviously some changes, as I'm sure you couldn't walk backwards in previous titles.
Mon 19/04/04 at 16:11
Regular
"the burning sky"
I'm hoping for an ED style targeting system? or would that make it too easy?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.