GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"N64 Vs. Gamecube"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/07/01 at 22:40
Regular
I and many others loved the 64, you all go on about how CD’s were better and it was Nintendo’s mistake and there is not grown up games etc… and what did we do? We smiled we didn’t care what they thought we were playing Zelda, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, No Mercy and Conker whilst you played with Metal gear solid, Final Fantasy and Smackdown and after we compare the games we were laughing.

But what can I say despite out beliefs the N64 sold badly. The expensive games, the lack of FMV style graphics, the childish image (even though Nintendo are not), no CD quality sounds, the lack of advertisement and the lack of 3rd party support made this wonder machine falter. It is now time for change and Nintendo are delivering.

Nintendo have kept what made them so huge in the first place their stunning first and second party games (Well those at E3 claim they are stunning) and with new second party developers in the form of Silicon knights and Retro studios are on board to bring more classic Nintendo material. Nintendo are also keeping with their multiplayer image as well which has served them well in the past.

Expensive ha, Nintendo have most defiantly sorted that out with a £150 console, which beats all it’s rivals and games that retail much lower than carts did early on at about £35-40.

FMV and the CD quality sounds are now capable with the move to a disc format and with games like Too human, Eternal Darkness, Perfect Dark 2, Turok Evolution, Conker’s other bad day (probably), the new grown up style Mario and Resident Evil 0 and 4 proves to me that Nintendo’s childish looking era I starting to change.

Advertisement is getting well underway in the form of the Gameboy Advance! It sold tones and those of you who looked will see a Gamecube on the back. If Nintendo can successfully model the Gamecube as an essential to go with the Gameboy Advance then Nintendo’s popularity will rise rapidly.

Now I have been over 3rd party support before and you can see more in the future additions to my developer series of posts but with 12 Acclaim games promised, 3 Namco (including a beat em up), Capcom making a few Nintendo only games, Squaresoft willing to work with Nintendo again, THQ promising tones of games including a wrestling one, Konami hinting at MGS2 on the Gamecube and Silent hill 2 all of which sounds promising and many more I just couldn’t be bothered to list.

Sony fans maybe attacking the yet to be released Gamecube but this time I believe they are worried. The Gamecube is doing what the N64 did well and what the Playstation did well as well. This could be a very promising fight ahead of us.

Here’s to the future

Dringo
Mon 23/07/01 at 17:56
Regular
Yeah but i cant wait!!!!!!!!

Yargh it's a fish.

cool.
Mon 23/07/01 at 01:22
Regular
yeah, i wish they would only tell us about these things a few weeks in advance. then we wouldnt get hyped as much and have to wait bloody ages for the console and games to come out.
Mon 23/07/01 at 01:22
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Or MY optical post! ;)

CD = 650mb
Optical Disc = 1.5gb (1500mb)
DVD = 4.3gb (4300mb)
Mon 23/07/01 at 01:20
Regular
"Sealed with a kiss"
I see the Gamecube is powerful, i see the Gamecube will improve on it's already excellent predecessor, what i don't see is it on our shelves, waiting is a very difficult thing to do.

X
Mon 23/07/01 at 01:08
Regular
If your gonna have another optical argument have one in my optical post!

Cheers dan.
Sun 22/07/01 at 22:27
But less than a normal DVD. Which I suppose is only expected, because of the smaller size. What AM I on about? Time to stop, methinks.
Sun 22/07/01 at 13:51
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
the optical disks have a capacity of 1.5 GB which is more than a normal CD
Sun 22/07/01 at 13:46
Hey does anyone know if the capacity of an optical disk is greater or smaller than that of a CD?

Anyway that was an interesting topic Dringo. I think that it is good to here that Squar are once again going to work with nintendo, that means that all the GC owners won't miss out on any more of the classic Final Fantasy Adventures. I think that the battle between the n64 and playstion was close but i would say that the playstaion may have just won it. I think that the battle between the Playstation 2 and Gamecube will be really interesting and it looks as though nintendo might be able to win this one, I hope so as i will probably get a Gamecube.

Please don't think that this reply was intended to start off another console war because it wasn't. : )
Sun 22/07/01 at 12:53
Regular
Dringo, I've read through this thread and you've put up a pretty solid argument throughout it.

Keep it up!
Sun 22/07/01 at 00:07
Regular
Fantasy meister wrote:

Sony did all this more than 6
> years ago with their first console. Why should anyone be worried
> about the Gamecube? Nintendo trying to play catchup
> again?

They'll be entering a marketplace where Sony has been
> sitting and wooing customers for 12 months with the PS2 (including
> the lucrative Christmas sales, a great time to expand a captive
> audience), and they'll be entering the marketplace at the same time
> as the most powerful home console in the world is released, the
> X-Box, which on paper is the NEXT generation of console after this
> one has passed.

I think Nintendo are in for a very rocky ride
> indeed.

Nintendo did a lot of right things over sony, Multiplayer being one that springs tro mind, a universal system with a wide ranging audience rather than a teenage one.

It was the best at platformers and first person shooters and so many more.

What they are doing now is getting what the PS managed to use in order to maek them big and using their old stuff which made them better.

PS2 is the PS version of the 64 to me!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.