GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Guybrush Threepwood and ... porcelain?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/07/01 at 20:28
Regular
Having rented/soon to own Escape from Monkey Island, I am pretty (well, totally) new to this series, and there are a couple of jokes I feel should be funny but, well, aren't.

Could someone explain the significance of:

Porcelain
The mysterious houses in Melee that transport you across the road
Why everything is the "Secong biggest..."? What's the first?

Also, is there anything else I should know?

Thanks.
Mon 23/07/01 at 21:48
And also made another joke in the floppy disc version of MI1, as well.

When you clicked on the tree stump in the forest, Guybrush would say that it led to "a huge maze of tunnels"... and the game prompted you to insert disc# 34, or something... which didn't exist.

You need to play a game like Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Adventure version) to understand the "huge maze of tunnels" thing...
Mon 23/07/01 at 09:10
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Didn't Monkey 1 come out on the C64?

I dont think so...

Amiga first... then ST and PC (later possibly the Mac?)

It was a few disks worth on the Amiga...

given that an Amiga disk held what... 880k(?) ... and the C64 had 64k memory, there would have been a LOT of disk swapping :)

(How much disk space did the C64 file format leave on those 5 1/4 inch floppies? was it 128k... 256k... ?)

(although there was a lot of disk swapping on the C64's Zak McKraken... )
Mon 23/07/01 at 01:39
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Didn't Monkey 1 come out on the C64?
Sun 22/07/01 at 21:54
Regular
In Monkey Island one, when you "look" at the giant monkey head, Guybrush will say "That's the second biggest monkey head I've ever seen."

Just another bit of jokery, and now a running joke.
Sun 22/07/01 at 19:40
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
CJC wrote:
> Guybrush Toothwood is the best computer character I have ever
> played. I first played him about 6 years ago when the very first
> Monkey Island came out.

6 years? ... Try 11 ... Monkey Island was originally released in 1990 :)
Sun 22/07/01 at 19:28
Monkey Island sucks

You wanna buy a decent game
Sun 22/07/01 at 02:24
The porcelain and teleportation things are running "jokes" with no explaination. No idea about the second biggest thing, I've played them all but I didn' get it.
Sat 21/07/01 at 18:17
Regular
Come to think of it, Big Whoop is the biggest thing.
Sat 21/07/01 at 18:15
Regular
The mysterious houses that transport you across the raod were in the first monkey island. They are simply there to make you wonder why they are there. Seeing as every door in the game can do something, they had a street full of doors which did nothing, so they added a stupid cmedy element. Can't remember them from Monkey Island 2 though.
Sat 21/07/01 at 18:12
Regular
The biggest thing might be Big Whoop the musterious treasure from Monkey Island 2.

As for Porcelain, must be an MI3 joke, definately not a reference from one and two.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.