GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Grrrrrrrraphics"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/07/01 at 01:36
Regular
So there I stood, horse by my side and I looked at the scenery, mountains, villages, people, trees, rocks and so much more it was beautiful. This is graphics, we tend to ignore such features when we are caught up in the gameplay but when the action has calmed down stop and look, by doing this you can tell how hard the developers have tried with this game.

The example I gave above is from Zelda one of the more beautiful and detailed games and we all know how much effort went into that game. Graphics are important to developers, as when people see the games on the TV or in the magazine they can’t say, “as you can see the gameplay are outstanding” You can’t tell things like that from a picture or a video clip. What you can comment upon is how well it looks and that is how graphics come into play.

Which is why when you play a storming game it tends to have gorgeous graphics because if Zelda had Body Harvest style graphics on the advert how many would of still bought it? They would say it looked rubbish, which is something they shouldn’t do, as it isn’t. So to avoid this misunderstanding the game needs to look as well as play good. Body Harvest played a dream but it had shoddy graphics, I didn’t mind I don’t care but Body harvest costs a tenner and why? Because it didn’t sell because people looked at the game and saw it as a pathetic waste of time which it isn’t!

If the developers of the game spent an extra few months and improved the graphics it would of undoubtedly sold a lot more. Which is why consoles try to make the graphics look better with better chip and also so the graphics are easier for developers to implement. The Gamecube’s graphics compression chip which compresses 50mb worth of graphics into 8mb making it much easier.

So the future of gaming is looking much nicer, the PS2 has gorgeous graphics, the DC’s were lovely in fact I found the 64’s nice and I’m betting the Gamecube and the X-box will take graphics even further and the consoles to follow will do the same. The future of graphics is something that we can be sure will be nicer and is something we can all look forward to.

Here's to the future

Dringo
Thu 19/07/01 at 01:36
Regular
So there I stood, horse by my side and I looked at the scenery, mountains, villages, people, trees, rocks and so much more it was beautiful. This is graphics, we tend to ignore such features when we are caught up in the gameplay but when the action has calmed down stop and look, by doing this you can tell how hard the developers have tried with this game.

The example I gave above is from Zelda one of the more beautiful and detailed games and we all know how much effort went into that game. Graphics are important to developers, as when people see the games on the TV or in the magazine they can’t say, “as you can see the gameplay are outstanding” You can’t tell things like that from a picture or a video clip. What you can comment upon is how well it looks and that is how graphics come into play.

Which is why when you play a storming game it tends to have gorgeous graphics because if Zelda had Body Harvest style graphics on the advert how many would of still bought it? They would say it looked rubbish, which is something they shouldn’t do, as it isn’t. So to avoid this misunderstanding the game needs to look as well as play good. Body Harvest played a dream but it had shoddy graphics, I didn’t mind I don’t care but Body harvest costs a tenner and why? Because it didn’t sell because people looked at the game and saw it as a pathetic waste of time which it isn’t!

If the developers of the game spent an extra few months and improved the graphics it would of undoubtedly sold a lot more. Which is why consoles try to make the graphics look better with better chip and also so the graphics are easier for developers to implement. The Gamecube’s graphics compression chip which compresses 50mb worth of graphics into 8mb making it much easier.

So the future of gaming is looking much nicer, the PS2 has gorgeous graphics, the DC’s were lovely in fact I found the 64’s nice and I’m betting the Gamecube and the X-box will take graphics even further and the consoles to follow will do the same. The future of graphics is something that we can be sure will be nicer and is something we can all look forward to.

Here's to the future

Dringo
Thu 19/07/01 at 01:49
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
It's the same with Monkey Island 4. The graphics are, quite simply, appalling but the game's absolutely chuffing BRILLIANT!
Thu 19/07/01 at 01:54
Regular
But if the graphics were better they would sell more!
Thu 19/07/01 at 09:03
Regular
"Back For Good"
The xbox graphics are nice and very PC like but they J--udder if y---ou know w--hat i mean. SO what if it has a high frame rate it can't keep it constant.
The PS2 is capable of some eye rubbing visuals but alot of the games so far have given it a reutation of jagged edges which just isn't a big problem with the console and is easily avoided.
Devil may Cry ad Gran Turismo look they're trying new things to show the PS2's capability but if all i wanted was good graphics then i would have bought a 64.
Thu 19/07/01 at 11:28
Regular
Ö=ResŒvilfan=Ö wrote:
> The xbox graphics are nice and very PC like but they J--udder if
> y---ou know w--hat i mean.

How do you know? Have you played an XBox?

I think not!
Thu 19/07/01 at 11:47
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Graphically, the only thing I require when playing a game is a high framerate.
Thu 19/07/01 at 13:07
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
I like nice graphics, otherwise it ruins the game completely, but in the batch of home consoles just gone, good grphics meant shakey framerate, this still happens now just not as much!!!!
Thu 19/07/01 at 18:14
Regular
"Back For Good"
Your Honour wrote:
How do you know? Have you played an XBox?
I think not!

I've looked at alot of web pages on the xbox,watched cybernet when it was running and downloaded mpeg clips,Obviously it's still in production but it doesn't look promising.

can't wait for GT3 tommorow
Thu 19/07/01 at 18:29
I think i thought i saw super smash brother melee on the game cube. I DID I DID SEE SUPER SMASH BROTHERS ON THE GAME NETWORK! oohhhhhhhh........ and that is the "mario 64" graphics of the gamecube.

I dont care if its not as powerful, those graphics are brillent! And the game is brill (if its anything like the first one)
Thu 19/07/01 at 18:41
Regular
"MSR Rules"
Doesn't look promising?
What?
I dont get it what doesn't look promising? The real time Full Scene Anti-Aliasing? The Bump-Mapping? The per pixel shading?
Or the fact it has the most sophisticated graphics chip about?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.