GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wookiee Monster and other Wide Screen users - A question for you..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/07/01 at 21:57
Regular
If my memory serves me correctly, Wookiee Monster, you have a widescreen TV. I am thinking of upgrading my 14 inch screen (hardly the TV equivalent of the Grand Canyon) to something a little bigger, and a lot wider. I have looked through several catalogues, and the result is: I`m confused... again.

Here are a few questions I was hoping you could answer :-)

What kind of advantage does flat screen give?

If you choose to watch normal TV does it stretch the picture or leave black bars either side?

If it stretches the picture, do you need one that says 16:9 or 4:3 format?

I am looking at about 66cm from corner to corner, which varies in price immensely. Is Thomson a respectable brand? They have a 66 cm for £320, which seems reasonable. However, it doesn`t say 4:3 format or flatscreen etc... There is a Sony one, (and everybody here knows thats a reliable name) but it is twice the price. I can save this money eventually if I do some extra shifts this summer, but is it actually worth it?

Thats about it for now. I really appreciate any help here, as I am clueless. Thanks.
Thu 26/07/01 at 18:53
Regular
its just soooo unfair.

its like following a car on the wet stage, too busy looking at the pretty pictures to radically increase the braking distance
Thu 26/07/01 at 13:04
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:

How many
> times - even on tracks that you know from previous versions - did
> you find yourself bouncing off the rails and other cars, because you
> were too busy admiring the scenery?

Just how beautiful is the ferris wheel on Special Stage 11. Totally unfair on a track that twisty!!! Can't take your eye's off the road for a second.
Wed 25/07/01 at 23:03
Regular
Interestingly, as I`m back off to uni at the end of september, and won`t be taking the tv with me, my parents said I should use it all summer. So.. I`ve been using it for the last 36 hours solid!

The picture quality is excellent, the 100 Hz option runs the 60 Hz games without any problems (on DOA2 and Fur Fighters).

The only problem is the price! I`m going to have to get a lot more shifts this summer in order to save enough for uni again! Fortunately I just passed my lifeguard exam again, so I can do that for two more years, which will help the money a little.

Anyway, it looks great (the TV), so thanks once again Wookiee, I really appreciate it!
Mon 23/07/01 at 21:07
Regular
"You Bum!!"
U shouldnt complain Wookie. Some people(Triple H points at himself)have to live with a 14".

U are right about GT though. The roads look fantastic and the scenery is marvellous. I cant get enough of that game
Mon 23/07/01 at 20:57
"High polygon count"
ssxpro wrote:
> The release of GT3 made this completely excusable.

It really is quite stunning, isn't it?!

How many times - even on tracks that you know from previous versions - did you find yourself bouncing off the rails and other cars, because you were too busy admiring the scenery?
Mon 23/07/01 at 20:54
"High polygon count"
Triple_H wrote:
> I was just wondering, how big is your TV Wookie?

Same as ssxpro's - 28-inch Sony Wega widescreen. I really need at least a 32-inch, though... ;-p
Mon 23/07/01 at 20:38
Regular
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:
> So they were the cheapest then?

£220 cheaper than anywhere else.

I owe you an apology, actually...
> I didn't go into town on Saturday, so I couldn't fins out >the answer to your 100Hz/60Hz question.

Not a problem at all. The release of GT3 made this completely excusable. Besides, with all you`ve done for me, its not as if you owe me anything at all, so it ain`t a probblem.

I can't imagine you will be, but I hope you aren't
> disappointed with your TV in any way!

I`ll let you know August 25th. Thats my birthday, and whilst I`m paying most of the cost, I decided it would be best to wait `till then (besides, I knew it was inevitable anyway, so I volunteered :-) )

Thanks!
Mon 23/07/01 at 20:29
Regular
"You Bum!!"
I was just wondering, how big is your TV Wookie?
Mon 23/07/01 at 20:23
"High polygon count"
So they were the cheapest then?

I owe you an apology, actually... I didn't go into town on Saturday, so I couldn't fins out the answer to your 100Hz/60Hz question.

I apologise profusely, as I did sort of promise... however, "It wasn't my fault, honest guv! It's that damn GT3 - so addictive... the PS2 version of crack cocaine! (I'd imagine...)"

Anyway, as you've ordered I feel slightly less guilty...

I can't imagine you will be, but I hope you aren't disappointed with your TV in any way!
Mon 23/07/01 at 19:37
Regular
Wookiee:

I went to empiredirect, and many other shops in town etc... and have now ordered a TV. Sony WEGA 28 inch from empiredirect (thanks muchly for the address).

Time to start putting together the money :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.