GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Metroid Prime: Echoes"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metroid Prime 2: Echoes'.
Tue 04/05/04 at 20:12
Regular
Even though there doesn't seem to be much new about this and I'm still not sure about the multiplayer, I have to say I can't to see more of this at E3.

I've been replaying the original and it's wonderful. Like when I was playing through Ocarina of Time and other classics again, you just wish you could be for the first time. It's a wonderful game and to be honest I'm not too bothered if this is just an addition to the first story with the same game engine.

The graphics do seem to have been slightly reworked, the lighting effects especially look better and the new-look energy bar and visor/arm cannon options looks nice. I would have liked to see more, but I suppose we'll have to wait until the final version for anything solid.

The idea of two worlds seems to be the most promising thing the game has to offer in terms of new gameplay ideas. Whether it's simply for the story or will directly affect play is yet to be seen, but it's a nice idea. I have a feeling the the Halo-type figure that's supposed to be hunting Samus will be similar to the SA-X scenario in Fusion, perhaps when the planet was split in two the 'Dark Samus' was created on the dark side or something (oooh, Star Wars-ness).

I want it. My only minor gripe is the lack of much new, but like I say an add-on wouldn't exactly be a bad thing and all we've really seen are a few screenshots and info on the story and name. It would be interesting to see if it follows on from Prime or Fusion, or somewhere else on the Metroid timeline.

E3 this year will rock.
Thu 06/05/04 at 23:58
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> But damn so much acrobatics would make the camera so hard to
> implement... can you imagine how much the camera would have to swing
> if you leaped from a wall, rolled and locked onto a neighbouring
> character?

Well, leaping from wall and rolling wouldn't require a fast swing.
Start behind Samus, as she kicks off the wall and starts heading towards the camera, swing steadily round to a side view, and then as she passes the camera's side view, the camera could steadily realign itself behind her again.

And you can't lock on to a character unless they're in decent view anysway so a lock on wouldn't change the camera much.

It wouldn't be easy, but it's easier than FPS platforming! :-D

Besides, action wouldn't have to become more frantic.
Just the same action as Metroid Prime with a third person view would make a huge difference, as you'd have the same moves but you'd be able to use them more effectively as you can a better picture of the action.
I wasn't really thinking of wall jumps in a fight but it would be the sort of stunt that the hardcore gamer would love to spend hours mastering. :-)
Thu 06/05/04 at 20:43
Regular
As unbelivable as it may sound, I go on my Cube 2-3 hours a week.
Thu 06/05/04 at 13:32
Regular
I hardly ever get to play through games more than once, just recently there haven't been many Ninty titles released so I returned to Pikmin and just started re-doing Metroid Prime. I only go on my Cube a couple of hours a day, at most three.

After I've completed it on Hard with 100% I'm going to go for the quickest completion time I can :-D
Thu 06/05/04 at 12:21
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Yeah, and I bet you also found all those "random battles" every 20-seconds didn't help you either, did they. Especially when you were searching for something - or, at least, trying to find something! :P

The game's one, main downside, if you ask me (it's length can be excused for the experience it offers).
Thu 06/05/04 at 11:26
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I understand your pain, I really don't have enough time. I started FFX2 and FFXI at roughly the same time, but FFX2 has been left hanging at the 2nd chapter.

Skies of Arcadia was a massive chore for me, I was desperate to get it finished but it just wouldn't stop.
Thu 06/05/04 at 11:08
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Rickoss, every time I see you write a produce a new topic over the latest up-and-coming game (providing it's a sequel), you always seem to mention how you're 'currently replaying the original'...

I just wanna know how you find the time to replay (and, presumabley, complete) just about every GameCube that's been released within the past 2 years; each one within only the space of 10 days???

What's your secret? How on Earth do you do it?!
And why is it, then, that am am still only half-way through Skies of Arcadia, unable to play anything else (barely) due to 'time-restraints', yet... You can do all of this?
Thu 06/05/04 at 10:58
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I'm currently playing Metroid Prime for the first time, and it is great, but I don't understand all this 'giving their all' type comments. It's not particularly taxing on the machine.. the enemies are very sparse and movement is forward/backward/turn.. nothing special. Aside from the bosses it's quite a laid back game, like Tomb Raider in space.
Thu 06/05/04 at 09:34
Regular
But camera would swing widely, she's more acrobatic than Mario and Mario doesn't have a lock on.
Thu 06/05/04 at 09:24
Regular
Sunshine's camera, combined with Windwaker's lock on camera would've done it fine. The only place where Sunshine's camera sucked was in the hotel, and that wouldn't be an issue with that ghost thingamy!

It wouldn't be easy, but considering it would be one of the few major things they'd need to impliment, and they're performed harder feats (playable platforming in a FPS??? :-O).

I guess that after putting their all into Metroid Prime, they were too burnt out to try something too radical for the sequel.
Thu 06/05/04 at 00:46
Regular
But damn so much acrobatics would make the camera so hard to implement... can you imagine how much the camera would have to swing if you leaped from a wall, rolled and locked onto a neighbouring character?

I know it sounds better, but there is no way we'd get a 3D Metroid game better than the Prime series.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.