GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PSP unveiled"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/05/04 at 19:54
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Holy crap! I'm so getting me one of these. Doesn't look to dissimilar to the prototype revealed last year, except that it's black, has a proper D-pad and some volume facia buttons. In short, it looks awesome.

The pics I've got from a press site show it with Gran Turismo 4 - not the PS2 version, the PSP version. How the hell did they keep that under wraps?

Sony execs, listen up - as long as you don't charge over £250 for this thing, you're going to make more money than Jesus by selling this sweet baby. Just get it out before summer next year and you'll be laughing. Laughing I tells ya! Compare it to the (let's face it) really dull mock-up of the Nintendo DS (found on Eurogamer.net) and it jizzes right it in its coffee.

[URL]http://www.alistairgray.co.uk/psp1.jpg[/URL]
[URL]http://www.alistairgray.co.uk/psp2.jpg[/URL]
[URL]http://www.alistairgray.co.uk/psp3.jpg[/URL]
[URL]http://www.alistairgray.co.uk/psp4.jpg[/URL]
[URL]http://www.alistairgray.co.uk/psp5.jpg[/URL]
Mon 17/05/04 at 16:38
Regular
"America, _ yeah!!"
Why did you type this if you were'nt going to tell us.
Mon 17/05/04 at 16:36
Regular
"dalek power!!!!"
yes really.
Mon 17/05/04 at 16:35
Regular
"America, _ yeah!!"
JOCO23 wrote:
> i know where u can get a PSP early!!!......... but i'm not telling!!

Really..........

O.k now go away
Mon 17/05/04 at 16:34
Regular
"dalek power!!!!"
i know where u can get a PSP early!!!......... but i'm not telling!!
Mon 17/05/04 at 16:24
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
There is a battery pack - it was on display along with the keyboard and various other items.
Mon 17/05/04 at 16:24
"possibly impossible"
AliBoy wrote:
> Ipod battery lasts around 8 hours and I've never been in the situation
> where the battery runs out. Have a back up pack incase this happens
> anyway :-)
>
> My point being I doubt many of us will be in the situation where we
> use the whole battery and not have the chance to recharge it. Also
> expect some kind of batttery back up or replacement to be available
> for the PSP.

There is that, but it's still no excuse for poor battery life. 8-10 hours is ok though, if it can keep to this for gaming. The movie and music playback don't really matter, as everyone is used to those kind of things eating power anyway, it's the gaming that counts and Sony have hopefully remembered this, rather than get carried away in all the multi-media extras.

The PSP has some great specs and should sell by the bucketload, but just because Sony have put their name to it, they shouldn't become too laid-back about how it will be percieved 1 year or even 6 months from release.
Mon 17/05/04 at 15:37
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Ipod battery lasts around 8 hours and I've never been in the situation where the battery runs out. Have a back up pack incase this happens anyway :-)

My point being I doubt many of us will be in the situation where we use the whole battery and not have the chance to recharge it. Also expect some kind of batttery back up or replacement to be available for the PSP.
Mon 17/05/04 at 13:50
"possibly impossible"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> Battery Life
> "The PSP should last for 10 hours of music playback, 8 hours of
> gameplay and 2 hours of movie playback from the UMD."
>

I don't think that's all together and one report I saw incinuated that the 8 hours of gameplay were the maximum, depending on how much the game needs to access the disc and the work it needs to do.

This is what worries me, the disc idea is great for cheap, affordable media, but moving parts will always wear the battery down quicker than cartridges and it's just as easy to put a film on a cartridge. Still, if they manage the battery life issue then fair play to them. I'm interested to see where the PSP will fit in the grand scheme of things. Will it be bought primarily as a media player or games machine? Will Sony get the pricing right to make it competitive?

Should be an interesting one to watch.
Mon 17/05/04 at 11:07
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I've just seen some more pics of a funky little transparent keyboard that clips on to the top of the PSP. Looks sweeeeet.
Fri 14/05/04 at 17:31
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Well, you never know. With near PS2 power and a flash card memory, emulation is almost inevitable ;-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.