GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"50p A GAME!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 16/07/01 at 12:23
Regular
Okay, let me explain......

My idea is that you buy a playstation game for 50p from the shop and if you die in the game it corrupts the CD and you cant play it anymore, meaning you would have to go and pay another 50p to carry on the game.....

Advantages:

1. The better gamer will be able to get a game for under a quid!

2. It will make people think about the game more eg. Strategies and different routes to take etc.

3. 50p means you can basically buy a demo of the game and see what it is like.

4. There will be more competition between you and your mates that have the game, boasting abut how little you payed for the game.

5. A competition could be set for every person that completes the game, meaning people will want to pay.

Disadvantages:

1. The discs may cost more than 50p to produce (I'm not quite sure how much they cost, but I'm guessing that if they made alot then the price of the discs would fall).....
If anyone can reply and tell me how much they cost to make, you would be a grate help

2. People that arent so good at the game could end up paying £500 for it! Oh well!

3. It could get kinda tiresome going to the shop all the time, but to overcome this you could just buy £10 worth of discs.

If you can think of any more advantages or disadvantages, then just post a message, and if you think my game idea is anygood.

Thanks

Dav1d
Mon 16/07/01 at 12:23
Regular
Okay, let me explain......

My idea is that you buy a playstation game for 50p from the shop and if you die in the game it corrupts the CD and you cant play it anymore, meaning you would have to go and pay another 50p to carry on the game.....

Advantages:

1. The better gamer will be able to get a game for under a quid!

2. It will make people think about the game more eg. Strategies and different routes to take etc.

3. 50p means you can basically buy a demo of the game and see what it is like.

4. There will be more competition between you and your mates that have the game, boasting abut how little you payed for the game.

5. A competition could be set for every person that completes the game, meaning people will want to pay.

Disadvantages:

1. The discs may cost more than 50p to produce (I'm not quite sure how much they cost, but I'm guessing that if they made alot then the price of the discs would fall).....
If anyone can reply and tell me how much they cost to make, you would be a grate help

2. People that arent so good at the game could end up paying £500 for it! Oh well!

3. It could get kinda tiresome going to the shop all the time, but to overcome this you could just buy £10 worth of discs.

If you can think of any more advantages or disadvantages, then just post a message, and if you think my game idea is anygood.

Thanks

Dav1d
Mon 16/07/01 at 14:20
This is possibly the stupidest idea I've ever seen.

I'f your gonna buy "£10's worth of disks" thats a third of a price of a £30 brand new 'good' PSX/DC game.

To be honest, your better of just visiting an Arcade to play old and new titles for the same price. And if you stick £10 quid in it your likely (if your not a total idiot) to get your name stored on a score board... then you can show off to your mates n stuff!

... Get back to the drawing board!
Mon 16/07/01 at 20:13
It's an odd idea, but then your console would have to have the power to corrupt discs and what would happen if that feature went wrong and just corrupted discs at random times. Also someone would find a way of overcoming the system, so it would just cost 50p a game.
Mon 16/07/01 at 20:52
Regular
"Back For Good"
disadvantages- no one would buy them you dufas!!
Mon 16/07/01 at 22:51
Regular
OK OK ..... maybe it wasnt such a good idea ........... maybe I should have said 20p a game!!
Tue 17/07/01 at 09:32
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
It could work if you changed the idea from consoles and disks to PC's and the Internet

(although with consoles getting Hard Drives, this could be valid on them soon)

You could get someone to pay a tenner ofr the game and the first 4-5 levels ... and then 50p/etc... for each level after that (or another tenner for the rest of the levels in one pack?)

This way, people could buy whay would basically be a demo of the game, and they could continue playing the game for as long as they wanted, only paying to see the next level when they got to it, and if they wanted to keep playing.

Either that or all downloads, including the first, costing 50p to a quid?

This would mean that developers could continue to develop a title as long as their was a demand... which, one dropped off they could start working either on a sequal,m or on the next title?
Tue 17/07/01 at 09:35
Regular
Shanks, but then people would be paying for a demo, and why should they do that?

At the moment demos are free, people will be slightly annoyed if they have to start paying for them.
Tue 17/07/01 at 10:08
leave it as it is. I really dont like that Idea. There would be no multiplayer games, the disks would be corrupted. Hey think about "one shot kills" games like Rinbow six, how on earth would that work concidering you spend about 10 attempts at each mission, and die each time, but other members of your tean can finish the level. Sorry your idea is rubbish
Tue 17/07/01 at 10:53
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Your Honour wrote:
> Shanks, but then people would be paying for a demo, and why should
> they do that?

At the moment demos are free, people will be
> slightly annoyed if they have to start paying for them.

Its not really a demo.. its the first 4 levels and the game engine (which could, effectivly allow people to create their own mods for a title?

Besides, people do buy demos, its also cheaper (as long as its sold for 50p) than spending a fiver on a mag if your interested in the game...

lets be honest, if you lost 50p would you be all that bothered?

Although, if your that fussed, we could give away the first 4 levels for free... and ask them for money if they decide to buy the rest of the title?
Tue 17/07/01 at 10:56
Have you played B&W? there's only five levels so if you give away the first 4 levels you've given away most of the game!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.