GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"50p A GAME!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 16/07/01 at 12:23
Regular
Okay, let me explain......

My idea is that you buy a playstation game for 50p from the shop and if you die in the game it corrupts the CD and you cant play it anymore, meaning you would have to go and pay another 50p to carry on the game.....

Advantages:

1. The better gamer will be able to get a game for under a quid!

2. It will make people think about the game more eg. Strategies and different routes to take etc.

3. 50p means you can basically buy a demo of the game and see what it is like.

4. There will be more competition between you and your mates that have the game, boasting abut how little you payed for the game.

5. A competition could be set for every person that completes the game, meaning people will want to pay.

Disadvantages:

1. The discs may cost more than 50p to produce (I'm not quite sure how much they cost, but I'm guessing that if they made alot then the price of the discs would fall).....
If anyone can reply and tell me how much they cost to make, you would be a grate help

2. People that arent so good at the game could end up paying £500 for it! Oh well!

3. It could get kinda tiresome going to the shop all the time, but to overcome this you could just buy £10 worth of discs.

If you can think of any more advantages or disadvantages, then just post a message, and if you think my game idea is anygood.

Thanks

Dav1d
Wed 12/12/01 at 22:39
I personally think the industry needs to get rid if cd's and start another format. Surely this day and age some kind of cartridge can be invented that houses microchips with a whopping game on it that is comparitive to a cd game? This could stop a lot of piracy as well.

As to the original 50p cd idea. I wouldn't buy a cd for 50p knowing that I would have to buy another if I died. Jeeps! I would have to be a miilionaire playing Quake arena.

Also there's enough cd's floating about now surplus to requirements.

Steve
Tue 11/12/01 at 08:41
Need a better plan than that. Sure it will make people think before they walk across a tripwire but no gaming industry would buy into that idea.
Fri 23/11/01 at 01:27
Regular
"I'm you + 1!"
Street Fighter would cost a fortune.

Zelda would be cheap(ish) for most people.

Then theres the problem of cheats having invincibility and son on and also replayability is out the window, also the problem of chipping so that it dosn't corrupt and people getting cheap games.

Theres tons of problems with this, lol nice idea though but maybe it's just wishful thinking.
Thu 22/11/01 at 15:13
"I hate that!!!"
Sounds good but it's a little bit far out don't you think?

But I got Zelda64 for 50p once, jammy or what?
Tue 20/11/01 at 13:02
Regular
Come on now who would be with this. You would have half the population in a blind rage. Think of the accidents, THE CARNAGE!!
Worst case scenario:
You've spent £50 on one game only completing the first level. On the last occasion you die and in a fit of uncontrollable anger you throw the disc violantly at the wall. But unknowingly it turns into a ninja throwing star like thingy (because of the speed it is thrown at), while it is in mid air your mum enters through the door. Before she can say shes got the cheap 50p disc embedded into her irregular sized head. Her face looking as if she had just seen sonja out of eastenders undress You then get put into prison (or young offenders) and meet a big ginger body builder called Bartholomew who makes you his long time friend (Nudge nudge wink wink) etc etc.

COME ON! you can know see the implications of what could happen if your barn pot idea ever became a reality. If not just think about the waste, would the discs be recycled?-you see you hav'nt thought this through.
Mon 29/10/01 at 20:28
Dav1d wrote:
> Dont you just hate that!

It used to be only 30p to play on the machines, now
> its a whopping £1 for 1 meesly credit!

Yeah its rediculous some games you put a quid in and play for 2 secs and the gameover screen appears. I Stole that off the simpsons with the waterworld arcade where milhouse put 25 quarters in for one play and walks one step and gameover appears.

Good episode
Mon 29/10/01 at 20:28
Dav1d wrote:
> Dont you just hate that!

It used to be only 30p to play on the machines, now
> its a whopping £1 for 1 meesly credit!

Yeah its rediculous some games you put a quid in and play for 2 secs and the gameover screen appears. I Stole that off the simpsons with the waterworld arcade where milhouse put 25 quarters in for one play and walks one step and gameover appears
Sun 28/10/01 at 22:34
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
An Advantage is that it could be like renting a game
Sat 22/09/01 at 00:34
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
what about paying some small amount of money and the game that you can download from the net can have an encrypted game timer on it so when you time is up you cant play it anymore unless you download either a full version of the game or the next level which deactivates the game timer.
Thu 02/08/01 at 16:21
You buy the game for 50p, like what Dav1d saidand if your playstation was hooked up to the internet, every time you died, sony would be sent a special message and they would charge you an extra 50p to get the game working again.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.