GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Well we haven't had one of these in a while: DS Vs. PSP"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/05/04 at 14:46
Regular
Many years ago now a stupid stuck up company messed around with a CD giant, a giant that wanted a piece of the gaming market. Because of this said CD giant murdered the market, SEGA fell and Nintendo were forced to retreat from their headlined position. Sony was here.

Nintendo's survival depended on three things, their unique, totally different style to Sony meant Nintendo offered something Sony didn't. Nintendo also have the hardest dying fan base you'll ever see, a fan base filled with us lot. These two factors help but it was the Gameboy, a franchise left untouched by Sony's rampage that meant Nintendo could re-group and re-build.

Nintendo hid in their niche market, their fan base and their Gameboy franchise allowed them to soldier on as Sony's user-base tripled, quadrupled and whatever came after that. Could anyone stop this jugganaught?

Enter Microsoft. The biggest, richest company in the entire world... and all of a sudden Sony didn't look that strong. Microsoft has slowly chipped away at Sony over the past 2 years, eating more and more into both their and Nintendo's user base. Microsoft are a company that, no matter how hard they try, Sony cannot defeat even in their elevated position.

There is no room for 3 consoles, it is time for Sony to finish off Nintendo once and for all.

And this was the perfect time to do it. Despite unbelievable sales of the Gameboy Advance the Gamecube was falling. Nintendo's die hard fan based were annoyed, the company they loved so much was fiddling with franchises and ultimately creating games that were not up to the usual standard. Wind Waker, Sunshine and Pikmin... the Gamecube's self-proclaimed lead titles were, to some Nintendo fans, disappointing. Only Mario Kart and Metroid Prime proved that Nintendo did indeed still have it. The sale of Rare to Microsoft was another massive blow to Nintendo's fan base, the constant loss of third party developers every week made Nintendo appear doomed to failure.

Enter the death nail, the killer blow.... The PSP.

If Sony want to fight Microsoft then a handheld is the key. A platform that is said to be the future of gaming, a handheld would not only extend the already strong Playstation userbase but also cripple Nintendo beyond repair. Getting a massive head start over Nintendo's next Gameboy, introducing MP3 playability and what looks set to be the sexiest piece of kit ever created.

E3 2004

How Sony didn't expect this. Suddenly everything changed. Nintendo's third parties may be leaving but what at first seemed like a weak first party line up became stronger than ever. The die-hard Nintendo fans were happy with a line up that featured a brand spanking new realistic Zelda game, a fantastic looking Metroid Prime and what is set to be the best Resident Evil title ever made. With Mario Tennis, Donkey Kong, Geist, Starfox, Pikmin 2 and Paper Mario 2 all on the release list it was safe to say Nintendo have protected their die-hard assets.

Nintendo will also launch the next Gameboy before the end of the year.... sorry I mean the 'DS' before the end of the year... undercutting Sony. The DS may not look as cool as the PSP but for pure functionality the system is cool. The games looked gorgeous, the new way of holding games is fantastic and backward compatible with the GBA. Brilliant.

The PSP is launching with GT, Tekken and Metal Gear Solid. Despite those 3 games being some of the biggest in the world their popularity (a bit like Mario's) have taken a knock after their dissapointing latest outings. The PSP also needs to implement a jog proof system for the CD based hardware, a laser as well as an inbuilt memory. Could battery life be a problem? Yes the Playstation name sells, but can Sony sell a handheld console to an adult market? I won't underestimate them, they can do it but there is no way they can have as many PSP gamers as they have PS2 gamers... handheld gaming just is not popular with the adult gamers. Just look at the N-Gage. The DS is launching with Mario’s, Metroid and even Sony’s own Final Fantasy. It is also launching with Nintendo’s first full online mode, boasting touch screen, Wireless connection, a protected clam shape and an in-built microphone. Not all of that may appeal to the casual gamer. But some of it will.

Confessingly the Playstation Pocket looks more dangerous than I originally thought. It looks utterly stunning, lacks clutter (something the DS suffers from) with a beautiful screen. This alone could sell the system... but with the GBA SP set for a large price cut before the end of the year can the PSP defeat Nintendo’s massive, 95%, handheld empire?

If Nintendo are going down they are not doing it without a fight. If Sony’s PSP is forced out by the Gameboy, a system that has forced out many of Nintendo's competitors before, what can Sony do to stop Microsoft?

Dringo.
Fri 14/05/04 at 21:12
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Bonus wrote:
> Being a typical Nintendo fan you seem to think that "games"
> might actually have somthing to do with the sales of these things

This is actually the stupidest thing that you have EVER said.
Fri 14/05/04 at 22:01
Regular
I've not read all the replies to this topic but from skimming:

Unless a game is so appealing to the casual audience that EVERYONE wants it after playing it once (like Goldeneye or GTA3) then it'll only count towards good reviews and critical acclaim for the hardcore gamers.

The Sony's brand is stronger than Nintendo's, but the Gameboy is still pretty strong and can hold up reasonably well.
As to the looks of the console, I've not looked at either properly, but I hear the PSP gets the advantage there too.

The thing is, I might be wrong, but I've also heard that the DS is launching £150 less than the PSP so the PSP will have to show something REALLY special to make it seem worthwhile.

Wireless Goldeneye/Perfect Dark (complete with touch screen "analogue stick simulator") could wipe the floor with the opposition, depending on which side Rare devellop for, and if they get it out early enough to decide who wins the war! :-)
Fri 14/05/04 at 22:03
Regular
Bonus wrote:
> and still no where near as good as Halo or Unreal
> Championship (if you have Live).

Halo this, Halo that. Why do all Xbox fanboys still praise this game. I bought it for the PC and it's nothing special at all. The graphics are nothing above average (even on the PC at full specs) and the game itself gets tedious and boring. I admit I enjoy the co-op on Xbox (Damn PC version with no co-op) but that's about it.

And as far as Unreal Championship goes, yes it's a great game, but give me UT2004 instead any day.

And owning a GC, PS2, PC and playing the XBOX regulary, the most fun games are on the GC, and that my friend is FACT!

Gameplay beats graphics.

They also say that Nintendo gamers are the smarter ones :P
Fri 14/05/04 at 22:28
Regular
I always found Halo to be good fun.

The only issue I had with it was how the level design tended to get extremely tediously repetitive.

The multiplayer was great.
It always seemed a little empty with just 4 players, but even then, sniping, sneaking, driving... there were just so many ways of playing and each one gave you a nicely balanced, fighting chance of getting a point.

But yeah, not as instantly playable as your average Nintendo game. :-)
Sat 15/05/04 at 01:13
Regular
Nintendo games aren't epic titles... the only epic title Nintendo make is Zelda... and that is truly epic. Oh maybe Metroid

The eighty various mario franchises sum up Nintendo perfectly.

Sure there isn't the layers of beauty that exists in your average X-box title... but the company reek with character.
Sat 15/05/04 at 01:25
Regular
Damarus wrote:
> Halo this, Halo that. Why do all Xbox fanboys still praise this game.
> I bought it for the PC and it's nothing special at all. The graphics
> are nothing above average (even on the PC at full specs) and the game
> itself gets tedious and boring. I admit I enjoy the co-op on Xbox
> (Damn PC version with no co-op) but that's about it.

You're last comment is that grpahics don't matter, so don't contradict yourself when slagging off Halo.

Halo is the ONLY game on current generation hardware to receive 10/10 from the most respected games magazine currently being published, Edge.

The physics in Halo are top notch. The graphics in Halo are representative of a 3 year old Xbox game (Geforce 3ish only) just remember that.

The AI is second to none on higher difficulty levels. The weapons are well balanced, the ability to only carry two weapons provides a challenge, especialy later in the game, the vehicles are particularly excellent to control, and Halo is by far the best game I have played on the current games consoles.

My opinion, you don't need to agree.

The most fun games being on the GC is not fact, it is opinion. In my opinion, Zelda onthe GC is good, but has some tediously boring sections. Resident Evil is good. Mario Kart multiplayer is good, single player isn't challenging enough and doesn't last long enough. Pikmin was quirky, but didn't hold any replay value for me personally after finishing it successfully on one play, didn't see the point in finding alternative endings by failing to complete the game. Monkey Ball is good. Sunshine was blatantly average in my opinion, just not a fun game to play at all, more of a chore than enjoyable.

I'll safely say the games I have enjoyed the most this generation were were on PS2 the GTA games , MGS2, FFX, Gran Turismo 3, Pro Evo 3, Ace Combat 4, Devil May Cry 1 & 2, Onimusha 1 & 2, NBA Street, on Xbox , Halo, Timesplitters 2, Project Gotham 2, Mech Assault, Unreal Championship, Capcom vs SNK 2 (Xbox Live support rules for a Street Fighter based game :D), Crimson Skies, Ghost Recon, on GC, The Wind Waker (mostly), Resident Evil, Super monkey Ball, Pikmin, Mario Kart (multiplayer only), Rogue Leader.

I don't know what market Nintendo may be aiming for, but I really haven't been overly impressed with the lineup on Nintendo's machine compared to the others. nintendo themselves accept that until now the GC lineup has not been as strong as people would normally expect from them. They blame this on Miyamoto being spread out over 1st and 2nd party developers. He has since been returned to simply designing and overseeing production of first party titles, and I'm sure that Nintendo will be a stronger force over the rest of this year and throughout the next.
Sat 15/05/04 at 01:28
Regular
So one guy awarded it 10/10 making it the best game ever.

For christs sake it is just an FPS!
Sat 15/05/04 at 01:40
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> For christs sake it is just an FPS!

It's a game. The only thing that makes it an FPS is the position of the camera, which becomes a 3rd person camera when driving a vehicle, so not strictly a 100% FPS all of the time.

So, what exactly is your point with that statement anyway? Being just an FPS makes it an inferior product? Makes it less playable? Makes it less good what?

I like it better than any game I have played on the Gamecube. I have yet to see any valid arguements as to why the game is a bad game by anyone who has played it. Everyone has criticisms of every game, and the level design of Halo, especially The Library takes particular stick, but that's because nothing will ever be a perfect game, and can always be improved upon.

But I'd appreciate you explaining what you mean by it's just an FPS.
Sat 15/05/04 at 01:59
Regular
That's what it is Bonus... an FPS. A game I've seen so many times before... done in slightly different ways.

Look at Metroid Prime, yes a first person game, but done in a stunningly original amazing way. I liked Halo, it is a good game... just as Perfect Dark is good and timesplitters 2 is good... it's an FPS... if done well it can be superb. But I've seen them before.

With that list of games I see from you there, including Metal Gear Solid and Onimusha... I am not surprised you are 'dissapointed' by Nintendo... sure MGS is a 'solid' title... a good game... but as a Nintendo fan it really didn't gel with me. Where was the quick pick up and play gameplay I love so much?

The last 2 years from Nintendo with dealt with re-furbishing old franchieses (Sunshine, Kart, Prime, Windwaker), re-makes/re-releases (Animal Crossing, Doshin, Resident Evil, Zelda CE, Metal Gear Solid), short but sweet games (Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Wario World) and connectivity (Pac Man Vs, Four Swords, Crystal Chronicles).

These have not been failures, the re-makes have re-launched franchises... the re-furbishing has freshened up Mario Kart, re-invented metroid, added comedy to Wind Waker and created a new (although varying in popularity) feeling for Mario. The connectivity on the 3 games i've listed above... despite expensive... are ABSOLUTLY superb... amazingly fun games and short but sweet allowed special mini-titles to be made.

But they are not what makes Nintendo, Nintendo. We want original software yes but not original at the expense of traditional Nintendo game attitudes. We want length in Pikmin, epic story in Zelda, original games that aren't flawed and a little familarity in our franchises.

Enter E3. Bonus below will appear a list of games, some original, some sequels but all of them no longer feature the experimental side of Nintendo we've experienced. The original side yes, but originality with self-essurance that this isn't Nintendo seeing what works and what doesn't... this is Nintendo showing us what works. Look at these games, look at the odd video/screenshot... see what you think. Just when we thought the glory days of the Cube were over... Nintendo proved us wrong.

Paper Mario 2, Pikmin 2, Metroid Prime: Echoes, The Legend of Zelda, Odama, Fire Embelem, Geist, Advance Wars: Under Fire, Resident Evil 4, Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (stunning), Mario Tennis, Tales of Symphonia, Baiten Kaitos, Amazing Islands and Starfox 2.
Sat 15/05/04 at 02:20
Regular
Ah, if you've had a look at what I've already said in posts, this e3 has shown me that the GC WILL have stringer games then the PS2 from the end of this year through to the end of next :)

A new Starfox looks good, just wish it didn't have the dodgy looking running sections. Resi 4 looks like a good game, I have some quibbles with the fact that the graphics have SUFFERED as a result of losing the pre-rendered backdrops (look at the lighting effects and shadows in the e3 trailers, they just don't come anywhere close to that of the others), not played Metroid, but I'd be lying if I said it dodn't look good, add to that a new Zelda and the two RPGs from Namco and we have a decet GC lineup.

My console usage is about to change. My PS2 has a Linux kit in it and will be used to make my own 3d games. My Xbox will be my online multiplayer and Halo 2 box :D And my GC might just be the console I play most of my single player games on.

Still can't rule out the Xbox as being my main gaming console though. Fable, The Red Star, Driv3r, Timesplitters Future (Live support on xbox ;) ), Prince Of Persia 2, Doom 3, Halo 2, Silent Hill 4 (looking a damn sight more atmoshpheric than Resi 4 with the lighting at it's current state of development), Far Cry, Kameo, Jade Empire, and not to forget co-op Doom 3 and Halo 2.

Don't know why people can choose to ignore the massive quality of games coming to the Xbox now that it's beginning to churn out easily the most appealing games.

I'm glad I own a Cube, but it wouldn't be the console I would buy if I could only own one.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.