GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Well we haven't had one of these in a while: DS Vs. PSP"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/05/04 at 14:46
Regular
Many years ago now a stupid stuck up company messed around with a CD giant, a giant that wanted a piece of the gaming market. Because of this said CD giant murdered the market, SEGA fell and Nintendo were forced to retreat from their headlined position. Sony was here.

Nintendo's survival depended on three things, their unique, totally different style to Sony meant Nintendo offered something Sony didn't. Nintendo also have the hardest dying fan base you'll ever see, a fan base filled with us lot. These two factors help but it was the Gameboy, a franchise left untouched by Sony's rampage that meant Nintendo could re-group and re-build.

Nintendo hid in their niche market, their fan base and their Gameboy franchise allowed them to soldier on as Sony's user-base tripled, quadrupled and whatever came after that. Could anyone stop this jugganaught?

Enter Microsoft. The biggest, richest company in the entire world... and all of a sudden Sony didn't look that strong. Microsoft has slowly chipped away at Sony over the past 2 years, eating more and more into both their and Nintendo's user base. Microsoft are a company that, no matter how hard they try, Sony cannot defeat even in their elevated position.

There is no room for 3 consoles, it is time for Sony to finish off Nintendo once and for all.

And this was the perfect time to do it. Despite unbelievable sales of the Gameboy Advance the Gamecube was falling. Nintendo's die hard fan based were annoyed, the company they loved so much was fiddling with franchises and ultimately creating games that were not up to the usual standard. Wind Waker, Sunshine and Pikmin... the Gamecube's self-proclaimed lead titles were, to some Nintendo fans, disappointing. Only Mario Kart and Metroid Prime proved that Nintendo did indeed still have it. The sale of Rare to Microsoft was another massive blow to Nintendo's fan base, the constant loss of third party developers every week made Nintendo appear doomed to failure.

Enter the death nail, the killer blow.... The PSP.

If Sony want to fight Microsoft then a handheld is the key. A platform that is said to be the future of gaming, a handheld would not only extend the already strong Playstation userbase but also cripple Nintendo beyond repair. Getting a massive head start over Nintendo's next Gameboy, introducing MP3 playability and what looks set to be the sexiest piece of kit ever created.

E3 2004

How Sony didn't expect this. Suddenly everything changed. Nintendo's third parties may be leaving but what at first seemed like a weak first party line up became stronger than ever. The die-hard Nintendo fans were happy with a line up that featured a brand spanking new realistic Zelda game, a fantastic looking Metroid Prime and what is set to be the best Resident Evil title ever made. With Mario Tennis, Donkey Kong, Geist, Starfox, Pikmin 2 and Paper Mario 2 all on the release list it was safe to say Nintendo have protected their die-hard assets.

Nintendo will also launch the next Gameboy before the end of the year.... sorry I mean the 'DS' before the end of the year... undercutting Sony. The DS may not look as cool as the PSP but for pure functionality the system is cool. The games looked gorgeous, the new way of holding games is fantastic and backward compatible with the GBA. Brilliant.

The PSP is launching with GT, Tekken and Metal Gear Solid. Despite those 3 games being some of the biggest in the world their popularity (a bit like Mario's) have taken a knock after their dissapointing latest outings. The PSP also needs to implement a jog proof system for the CD based hardware, a laser as well as an inbuilt memory. Could battery life be a problem? Yes the Playstation name sells, but can Sony sell a handheld console to an adult market? I won't underestimate them, they can do it but there is no way they can have as many PSP gamers as they have PS2 gamers... handheld gaming just is not popular with the adult gamers. Just look at the N-Gage. The DS is launching with Mario’s, Metroid and even Sony’s own Final Fantasy. It is also launching with Nintendo’s first full online mode, boasting touch screen, Wireless connection, a protected clam shape and an in-built microphone. Not all of that may appeal to the casual gamer. But some of it will.

Confessingly the Playstation Pocket looks more dangerous than I originally thought. It looks utterly stunning, lacks clutter (something the DS suffers from) with a beautiful screen. This alone could sell the system... but with the GBA SP set for a large price cut before the end of the year can the PSP defeat Nintendo’s massive, 95%, handheld empire?

If Nintendo are going down they are not doing it without a fight. If Sony’s PSP is forced out by the Gameboy, a system that has forced out many of Nintendo's competitors before, what can Sony do to stop Microsoft?

Dringo.
Sat 15/05/04 at 14:11
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I don't think that Halo or Timesplitters are better than goldeneye. Technically (which is all you seem to care about Bonus), they are obviously better, but the level design, the guns, the multiplayer arenas, everything in Goldeneye melted together so well that it made it my favourite FPS of all time. The mulitplayer, for me, was only surpassed by Perfect Dark, and even on PD, the best MP levels are old goldeneye ones.

The Facility level in Goldeneye has yet to be bettered in my opinion.
Sat 15/05/04 at 14:11
Regular
But different people gave it that score.

Goldeneye is bettered by Perfect Dark etc... but as it headlined that style of gameplay it'll always be remembered.

Same with Ocarina of Time... it has been bettered by Wind Waker and Majora's Mask... but these 2 are a mere extension of the already brilliant structure.

Halo is great.... doing everything right.... but if you want to make a name for yourself it is far easier to invent something new...

Retro Studio's are now one of Nintendo's prize assets.
Sat 15/05/04 at 14:20
Regular
Technicalities being what I care about are inherited from being a student of a Computer Games Technology course.

I'm learning how these things are actually made to work at uni, and yes, I do care about technicalities.

I very much doubt either of you have played right through Halo on one of the more difficult settings. The AI is just brilliant. The only section of level design which runs into trouble on Halo is the Library.

I'm never going to knock Goldeneye as the game of it's time in he genre, like Doom before it, but it's time has passed, and it has been bettered. It will be remembered as one of the greats of that generation of hardware, but it wont be remembered as being better than Halo by anyone who has actually completed Halo on a decent difficulty.
Sat 15/05/04 at 14:23
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I completed Halo on Medium in co-op, and I thought that the level design was attrocious. Maybe because I don't like that sort of open plan game, or maybe I just don't like the style (I hate shooting aliens or anything that isn't humans with anything other than bullets), but for me, and thousands of others too, Goldeneye is the game I would choose to play if I had the choice, even now.
Sat 15/05/04 at 14:26
Regular
The thousands of others too statement wouldn't hold up in court as evidence, it's speculation.

You can only talk for you personally, no one else, plenty of other people would choose Halo, that's a valid statement, and probably true, but it's still just assumption based on what you might have seen people writing elsewhere.

I doubt you have personally asked thousands of people their preference on this particular subject :D
Sat 15/05/04 at 14:43
"I love yo... lamp."
Other than the Library level which was a bit naff, I though Halo had pretty decent level design. In multiplayer it is immense fun, especially if you ever get the chance to play 16 player system link.

Halo will remain at the forefront of FPSs for a long time. You know how Goldeneye is thought of as a classic? Well that was because it was. It was the definitive console FPS of the last generation.

Halo is the definitive FPS of this generation. Sure Halo 2 will be better than Halo, in the same way that Perfect Dark was better than Goldeneye. But Halo is a classic and will remain a classic. 4.5 million sales says it is.

"Oh but Metroid Prime is lyk so much beta because it has scanininining in it!".

No. Metroid Prime is an FPS with a few extra things tacked on. Like Rainbow Six has squads tacked on. But Halo is more famous and has sold considerably more for a reason. It is a bit unfair to compare them directly, because they do have differences. But if I had to pick between them, Halo wins.

I also can't call Metroid Prime the future either, because not everyone wants FPSs to change. That is why Doom 3, Unreal 2845763 etc are all blasters like their predecessors. Because not everyone wants to think that much as they blast stuff.
Sat 15/05/04 at 14:49
Regular
The day Edge gave Halo 10/10 was the day I disregarded their opinion completely.

It had some excellent features, but if you can't get the level design right, such qualities are overshadowed. A game can't just excel in certain areas and forget others, especially not one heralded as the greatest FPS ever.

Dismissing it as a problem only on the Library level is ridiculous. The first level, on the ship, suffered significantly from repetitive design and while the second level was a marked improvement, it wasn't long after that until it went downhill again; the Covenant ship level.

I enjoyed Halo very much in places, especially multiplayer with the vehicles turned on (though the noticeable lack of 'bots was unforgiveable), but at some points it was literally unplayable. Personally, I think it deserves no more than 8/10 - very good and certainly recommended, but undoubtedly flawed.

Goldeneye 007 is the better game, as Ocarina of Time is to its successors. Even today.
Sat 15/05/04 at 14:58
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Bonus wrote:
> Halo surpasses Goldeneye at the forefront of the FPS genre. It is a
> much better game.
>
> Timesplitters 2 is better than Goldeneye, it takes what Goldeneye
> was, and bettered it.
>
> I have my own issues with some really boring sections of OOT, but
> that's definately personal opinion. Can't argue with an Edge 10/10,
> the same score it gave Halo ;)

1996, Bonus.

If Rare had the design capabilities Free Radical Design and Bungie had with TimeSplitters 2 and Halo respectively, I think it would easily be classified as the best FPS ever.

These two titles might be superior to Goldeneye in terms of character and level visual design, but then technology has expanded since Goldeneye was released for the N64 all those years ago. The thing is, TimeSplitters 2 and Halo would not be the critically acclaimed titles they now are if it weren't for Goldeneye - in fact, there's a strong chance they wouldn't even exist at all.

Basically TimeSplitters 2 was Goldeneye with polished visuals, some new, comical characters, more flashy weapons and better frame-rate. So minus the technological advances in the game, TimeSplitters 2 IS Goldeneye in a new box. Oh, and the one-player is far inferior as well, which suggests Goldeneye is better overall.

And as for Halo. Yes, I think Halo is a great game, especially as it includes multiplayer modes that over-run Goldeneye in terms of quantity, and a co-op (which although Goldeneye didn't have... Perfect Dark did). But again Halo has just taken Goldeneye's original gameplay and freedom, and expanded on it a little to give an all-round better package. Goldeneye refined the FPS genre, and although Halo may be a more technically complete title, it's only there because of Rare's 1997 masterpiece.
Sat 15/05/04 at 15:05
Regular
To be honest, the concept images of the DS aren't exactly exciting are they.

It just looks like the old double screen Game and Watch things.

PSP will make an impact Dringo, and you know it, so you may aswell pull that limited edition Zelda cartridge out of your rectum and face facts.
Sat 15/05/04 at 15:08
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
No, they aren't, but have you watched the videos showcasing the DS's capabilities? Metroid Prime's visuals on a handheld show that the DS can compete with the PSP in this area anyway. Plus Super Mario 64 x4 making use of the 4-player link-up, Wario Ware DS showing off the touch screen features, and Balloon Trip actually showing off a way in which the dual screens could be put to good use.

And only £100???

DS design aside, this has an excellent prospect.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.