GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Well we haven't had one of these in a while: DS Vs. PSP"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/05/04 at 14:46
Regular
Many years ago now a stupid stuck up company messed around with a CD giant, a giant that wanted a piece of the gaming market. Because of this said CD giant murdered the market, SEGA fell and Nintendo were forced to retreat from their headlined position. Sony was here.

Nintendo's survival depended on three things, their unique, totally different style to Sony meant Nintendo offered something Sony didn't. Nintendo also have the hardest dying fan base you'll ever see, a fan base filled with us lot. These two factors help but it was the Gameboy, a franchise left untouched by Sony's rampage that meant Nintendo could re-group and re-build.

Nintendo hid in their niche market, their fan base and their Gameboy franchise allowed them to soldier on as Sony's user-base tripled, quadrupled and whatever came after that. Could anyone stop this jugganaught?

Enter Microsoft. The biggest, richest company in the entire world... and all of a sudden Sony didn't look that strong. Microsoft has slowly chipped away at Sony over the past 2 years, eating more and more into both their and Nintendo's user base. Microsoft are a company that, no matter how hard they try, Sony cannot defeat even in their elevated position.

There is no room for 3 consoles, it is time for Sony to finish off Nintendo once and for all.

And this was the perfect time to do it. Despite unbelievable sales of the Gameboy Advance the Gamecube was falling. Nintendo's die hard fan based were annoyed, the company they loved so much was fiddling with franchises and ultimately creating games that were not up to the usual standard. Wind Waker, Sunshine and Pikmin... the Gamecube's self-proclaimed lead titles were, to some Nintendo fans, disappointing. Only Mario Kart and Metroid Prime proved that Nintendo did indeed still have it. The sale of Rare to Microsoft was another massive blow to Nintendo's fan base, the constant loss of third party developers every week made Nintendo appear doomed to failure.

Enter the death nail, the killer blow.... The PSP.

If Sony want to fight Microsoft then a handheld is the key. A platform that is said to be the future of gaming, a handheld would not only extend the already strong Playstation userbase but also cripple Nintendo beyond repair. Getting a massive head start over Nintendo's next Gameboy, introducing MP3 playability and what looks set to be the sexiest piece of kit ever created.

E3 2004

How Sony didn't expect this. Suddenly everything changed. Nintendo's third parties may be leaving but what at first seemed like a weak first party line up became stronger than ever. The die-hard Nintendo fans were happy with a line up that featured a brand spanking new realistic Zelda game, a fantastic looking Metroid Prime and what is set to be the best Resident Evil title ever made. With Mario Tennis, Donkey Kong, Geist, Starfox, Pikmin 2 and Paper Mario 2 all on the release list it was safe to say Nintendo have protected their die-hard assets.

Nintendo will also launch the next Gameboy before the end of the year.... sorry I mean the 'DS' before the end of the year... undercutting Sony. The DS may not look as cool as the PSP but for pure functionality the system is cool. The games looked gorgeous, the new way of holding games is fantastic and backward compatible with the GBA. Brilliant.

The PSP is launching with GT, Tekken and Metal Gear Solid. Despite those 3 games being some of the biggest in the world their popularity (a bit like Mario's) have taken a knock after their dissapointing latest outings. The PSP also needs to implement a jog proof system for the CD based hardware, a laser as well as an inbuilt memory. Could battery life be a problem? Yes the Playstation name sells, but can Sony sell a handheld console to an adult market? I won't underestimate them, they can do it but there is no way they can have as many PSP gamers as they have PS2 gamers... handheld gaming just is not popular with the adult gamers. Just look at the N-Gage. The DS is launching with Mario’s, Metroid and even Sony’s own Final Fantasy. It is also launching with Nintendo’s first full online mode, boasting touch screen, Wireless connection, a protected clam shape and an in-built microphone. Not all of that may appeal to the casual gamer. But some of it will.

Confessingly the Playstation Pocket looks more dangerous than I originally thought. It looks utterly stunning, lacks clutter (something the DS suffers from) with a beautiful screen. This alone could sell the system... but with the GBA SP set for a large price cut before the end of the year can the PSP defeat Nintendo’s massive, 95%, handheld empire?

If Nintendo are going down they are not doing it without a fight. If Sony’s PSP is forced out by the Gameboy, a system that has forced out many of Nintendo's competitors before, what can Sony do to stop Microsoft?

Dringo.
Thu 20/05/04 at 22:55
Regular
Bonus wrote:
> 1) Because it's not a new Gameboy, yet, according to Nintendo.

To me, to you and the public this is a Gameboy follow up.

> 2) Nintendo have never had an advertising campain or marketing
> package to rival any of the cack which Sony have produced, regardless
> of the fact that they never actually have any gaming substance.

Tell me then how Nintendo made Pokemon destroy the world? The Gameboy adverts are found in prime time slots and magazines (unlike Gamecube that is resigned to Kids TV) and actually have some sexually provocative and pointless ads to go with it (The Super Mario Brothers 3 "Do you remember the first time" ads spring to mind).

> 3) It will be drowned by the rubbish which Sony put out about the
> PSP.

That is possible in the UK... but the console is released before the competiton everywhere else.
Thu 20/05/04 at 16:53
Regular
"thursdayton!"
What Bonus said.
Thu 20/05/04 at 12:45
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I'm betting on some Nokis N-gage style crudverts from Sony. Equivalent to the Third Place adverts, and those ones with the little hand drawn people/animals.
Thu 20/05/04 at 11:33
Regular
1) Because it's not a new Gameboy, yet, according to Nintendo.

2) Nintendo have never had an advertising campain or marketing package to rival any of the cack which Sony have produced, regardless of the fact that they never actually have any gaming substance.

3) It will be drowned by the rubbish which Sony put out about the PSP.
Thu 20/05/04 at 10:31
Regular
tphi wrote:

>
> But unlike the DS, average Joe knew the PS2 was coming due to massive
> advertising.

The Gameboy franchise is the biggest game franchise in the world...

Explain to me how the average joe is not going to know when another Gameboy is coming out?
Thu 20/05/04 at 01:20
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Dringo wrote:
> I just seem to remember Playstation owners telling me how the PS2's
> shortage did the system a favour...

But unlike the DS, average Joe knew the PS2 was coming due to massive advertising.
Wed 19/05/04 at 12:41
Regular
tphi wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> don't forget the short supply of the PS2 was annoying but generated
> a
> lot of hype.) and as it'll jack the price up Nintendo will have to
> take the cost.
>
> Which is almost what I said you'd say :p

Well it could be a problem I don't know.

I just seem to remember Playstation owners telling me how the PS2's shortage did the system a favour...
Wed 19/05/04 at 01:47
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Dringo wrote:
> don't forget the short supply of the PS2 was annoying but generated a
> lot of hype.) and as it'll jack the price up Nintendo will have to
> take the cost.

Which is almost what I said you'd say :p
Tue 18/05/04 at 23:00
"The Will of D."
The DS version of Mario kart almost looks identical to Double dash in every way except with the fact that it's back to one person per kart and it's portable. I suppose that's probably because the graphics of double dash aren't exaclty the best they could be esoecially for the gamecube, but it does look amazing for the ds however. If anyone hasn't seen it in action should do so now along with metroid prime: hunters and super mario 64X4.
Tue 18/05/04 at 22:58
Regular
tphi wrote:
> Iwata has said that the DS may well have to have a limited supply on
> release, because the TFT screens are in such short supply. This will
> also apparently jack the price up :(

No what they said was that it maybe in short supply (which may or may not be a disaster... the console launches before the PSP BUT if it is only in mass supply when it is launch it is hardly a head start, don't forget the short supply of the PS2 was annoying but generated a lot of hype.) and as it'll jack the price up Nintendo will have to take the cost.

In other words it'll be cheap for the gamers but expensive for Nintendo to start off with.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.