GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why the Gamecube could fail."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 15/07/01 at 12:17
Regular
I have been a nintendo fan for all of my gaming life, but it brings me to tears to say that it is a relationship that could soon be coming to an end. The reason for this is the Gamecube. Ok the gamecube sounds like a good idea and probably would have been if it was released around the same time as tthe ps2 and not in the spring of 2002. In spring 2002 the ps2 will have probably have fallen in price, will have a vast selection of software available to choose from and in my opinion will be firmly placed as the people's fav next gen console. Also by Spring of 2002 there will probably be rumors of ps3 being developed, thus making the Gamecube sales go down. It seems to me that nintendo are and could always be one step behind playstaion. For nintendo to get one step in front and rule the console market again as they used to, i think they should dump the gamecube idea and start work on a 256bit console. If they keep on going at the rate they are now and keep on bring their consoles out after sony and the rest of the competition then they will never again rule the console market.

What are your views? what next gen console would you buy out of the ones that will be available when Gamecube is released? what next gen console will dominate the market? try to show me the light, try to guide me bakc to nintendo heaven please.
Mon 16/07/01 at 11:46
Look like there are lot of nintendo fans on the FOG forum.
After reading all of the replies I've had I think that I will probably give nintendo another chance and buy the Gamecube instead of the Playstation 2 or XBox.
Mon 16/07/01 at 11:19
Yes Sony has a head start, but lets face it its been anything but glorious. After a year the Dreamcast had more must have games than the Playstation2 does. Im sure Sony will defend its console when the Xbox and GameCube appear but rumours of the PS3 would only lose Sony sales of the PS2..after all whos going to buy yesterdays console (The PS2). Its sad because rumours like this effect sales, the Dreamcast died because people believed Sonys lies and that is a shame.
Gamers have learnt the hard way and they know not to trust its rumours, or they risk losing Nintendo. Gamers will look at the games that are on offer and buy the best. Dont believe rumours people, play first, then buy..

at least then youll be happy :-)
Mon 16/07/01 at 11:07
I must say that the Super smash brothers game set for release on the gamecube does look as though it will be a huge hit. If I get a gamecube I think the first two games I would buy for it would be Luigi's mansion and Super Smash Brothers Melee.
Mon 16/07/01 at 10:04
Regular
"not dead"
Mind you, it's not the European market that will dictate who 'wins' is it?

As the Gamecube is being released in September in Japan (16-18 months after PS2), and November in the USA (13 months after PS2) the lead is not 2 years.
The PS2 will have a sales advantage, but I can't predict the future.

I do know the Gamecube has some very good games coming out for it, and I'm looking forward to playing them.
Sun 15/07/01 at 13:50
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I heard it was September.
Sun 15/07/01 at 13:48
Big Friendly Giant wrote:
> What about if you have B console for £1 and it is really
> rubbish and you have the C Console which is £300 and has loads
> of good games and B sells more than C. Does that mean B is the
> winner?

No it doesn't, I think that the games do count. In my opinion I think they were both good consoles but the palystation was more successful than the n64 overall. That doesn't mean that the same thing will happen with the gamecube and playstaion 2, but nintendo aren't doin themselves any favours by
1)not releasing the GC til spring of 2002
2)not alowing the GC to play DVD's

Plus the GC release date will probably slip back from spring and by the time it is release i think that there will already be talk of next gen consoles on the way like playstation 3.

I think that nintendo are falling behind in the console race.
Sun 15/07/01 at 13:43
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
More people liked the PS1 though.
Sun 15/07/01 at 13:43
Stick474 wrote:
What are your views?

You are spot on about Nintendo always being one step behind in the console market, however, what do they care? They've got the handheld market sewn up, it's a regular cash cow for them, and they're going to milk it for all it's worth.

what next
> gen console would you buy out of the ones that will be available
> when Gamecube is released?

X-Box.

what next gen console will dominate the
> market?

Tough call, but I'd have to say Gamecube.

try to show me the light, try to guide me bakc to nintendo
> heaven please.

Don't be silly.
Sun 15/07/01 at 13:42
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Personally I would say C would be the winner because it has better games.
Sun 15/07/01 at 13:41
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
What about if you have B console for £1 and it is really rubbish and you have the C Console which is £300 and has loads of good games and B sells more than C. Does that mean B is the winner?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.