GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why the Gamecube could fail."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 15/07/01 at 12:17
Regular
I have been a nintendo fan for all of my gaming life, but it brings me to tears to say that it is a relationship that could soon be coming to an end. The reason for this is the Gamecube. Ok the gamecube sounds like a good idea and probably would have been if it was released around the same time as tthe ps2 and not in the spring of 2002. In spring 2002 the ps2 will have probably have fallen in price, will have a vast selection of software available to choose from and in my opinion will be firmly placed as the people's fav next gen console. Also by Spring of 2002 there will probably be rumors of ps3 being developed, thus making the Gamecube sales go down. It seems to me that nintendo are and could always be one step behind playstaion. For nintendo to get one step in front and rule the console market again as they used to, i think they should dump the gamecube idea and start work on a 256bit console. If they keep on going at the rate they are now and keep on bring their consoles out after sony and the rest of the competition then they will never again rule the console market.

What are your views? what next gen console would you buy out of the ones that will be available when Gamecube is released? what next gen console will dominate the market? try to show me the light, try to guide me bakc to nintendo heaven please.
Sun 15/07/01 at 12:17
I have been a nintendo fan for all of my gaming life, but it brings me to tears to say that it is a relationship that could soon be coming to an end. The reason for this is the Gamecube. Ok the gamecube sounds like a good idea and probably would have been if it was released around the same time as tthe ps2 and not in the spring of 2002. In spring 2002 the ps2 will have probably have fallen in price, will have a vast selection of software available to choose from and in my opinion will be firmly placed as the people's fav next gen console. Also by Spring of 2002 there will probably be rumors of ps3 being developed, thus making the Gamecube sales go down. It seems to me that nintendo are and could always be one step behind playstaion. For nintendo to get one step in front and rule the console market again as they used to, i think they should dump the gamecube idea and start work on a 256bit console. If they keep on going at the rate they are now and keep on bring their consoles out after sony and the rest of the competition then they will never again rule the console market.

What are your views? what next gen console would you buy out of the ones that will be available when Gamecube is released? what next gen console will dominate the market? try to show me the light, try to guide me bakc to nintendo heaven please.
Sun 15/07/01 at 12:24
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Even if GameCube is one step behind Sony. It doesn't matter. You said that you've been a Nintendo fan all your life then surely you must have been extremely happy with your N64 over the PSX. I was and I don't give a damn whether it sold better than it or not. I preferred the games that Nintendo and Rare provided me with. You can't get these games on any other consoles and I'm not willing to give them up for a PS2 a year earlier.

I think you should definitely get a GC. If you've been a Nintendo fan all your life then you obviously like the games that they provide. PS2 doesn't offer these types of games so my advise to you is to stick with Nintendo. Or alternatively, go round a mates who owns a PS2 and live there for a few days. Play all his games to death and then decide whether you think you like the style or not.
Sun 15/07/01 at 12:34
The_Vottanator wrote:
> Even if GameCube is one step behind Sony. It doesn't matter. You
> said that you've been a Nintendo fan all your life then surely you
> must have been extremely happy with your N64 over the PSX. I was and
> I don't give a damn whether it sold better than it or not. I
> preferred the games that Nintendo and Rare provided me with. You
> can't get these games on any other consoles and I'm not willing to
> give them up for a PS2 a year earlier.

I think you should
> definitely get a GC. If you've been a Nintendo fan all your life
> then you obviously like the games that they provide. PS2 doesn't
> offer these types of games so my advise to you is to stick with
> Nintendo. Or alternatively, go round a mates who owns a PS2 and live
> there for a few days. Play all his games to death and then decide
> whether you think you like the style or not.

I think you could be wright. I think that I should think more about this before i decide to just give up on nintendo. Like you said you will only find games like perfect dark on nintendo consoles. Thankyou for giving me a new way to look at the situation.
Sun 15/07/01 at 12:39
Regular
The only way that the Gamecube can fail is if the casual gamer refuses to buy it.

The casual gamer associates gaming greatness with names like Playstation and Gameboy.

If Nintendo put subliminal advertising for the Gamecube in the Gameboy games then no matter how much microsoft and Sony put into marketing will be able to match the effect.

I wonder why the GBA came out a year before the Gamecube now...
Sun 15/07/01 at 12:39
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Going straight to 256bit is a bad idea. They did this with the 64 and look what happened.
Sun 15/07/01 at 12:42
Turbonutter wrote:
> Going straight to 256bit is a bad idea. They did this with the 64
> and look what happened.

Yeah i see what you mean. Its not always the power of the consoles, a lot of a consoles success will lie in the quality and playablity of the games that are released on it.
Sun 15/07/01 at 12:48
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yeah, it's interesting that. Everyone says Nintendo have better games but from the PSone vs N64 thing the PSone won, so it obviously has better games.

Food for thought.
Sun 15/07/01 at 13:21
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Turbonutter wrote:
the PSone won

Says who?

Error! Query failed! (Duplicate entry '27201' for key 1)
Sun 15/07/01 at 13:26
Big Friendly Giant wrote:
> Turbonutter wrote:
the PSone won

Says who?

Error! Query
> failed! (Duplicate entry '27201' for key 1)

I suppose its a matter of opinion and taste really, every one has the right to say and think as they like.

P.S I'm not having a go at you or anything.
Sun 15/07/01 at 13:29
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Stick474 wrote:

I suppose its a matter of opinion and taste
> really, every one has the right to say and think as they
> like.

I know, therefore he should have said "IMO the PSone won"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.