GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why PlayStation 2 Is Great"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 15/07/01 at 08:47
Regular
Erm, compared to the Dreamcast which is also 128-bit, I was wondering, just WHY IS the PS2 so great? What makes it so different to the Dreamcast?

(Arguments with the words DVD in them will be ignored, I already have a DC and a DVD player thankyou.)
Sun 15/07/01 at 19:56
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
although the dreamcast is as powerful as the PS2,i feel that a good selection of the games,look and play like a 32 bit playstation game.however some are up to standarss a few of them are,jet set radio,quake 3 , crazy taxi, and defiently virtua tennis.

one good think about having a dreamcast is that the sega games coming out on other consoles like the PS2 are selling for around £40,but you can pick up the orginal dreamcast versions for less than £10 sometimes.so you could buy fur fighters and crazy taxi on the PS2 for £80 or on the dreamcast for £20.what would you prefer to pay?

a reasen why more people are buying PS2's than dreamcast's is that they know the PS2 will be a great console,which they can rely on and play great games with.this is because of the clean recoed that sony has.but with dreamcast,sega used to have a great history until the saturn that was.the saturn dissapointed people and turned them to the bright light that is sony.

another reasen is that the PS2 is backwards compatable with PSONE, games and accesories.so people dont need to sell their old gear,i sold most of my games,but that was because i needed the money for the console.
this ment that if people could afford the console,but no games they have some thing to play until they have money for a PS2 game.
if the saturn were more popular,maybe dreamcast would have dont the same,i guess will never know.

i have a PS2 and my brother he has a dreamcast.although i would choose the PS2 over the dreamcast any day,its still a good machine with a few cool games.
the PS2 at the moment doesnt have too many really fantastic games,but now every week a new game comes out,better as they go.and by christmas all of our dream games that we see on the web and in the mags at the moment will be on the shelfs including, state of emergency, SSX tricky, smackdown 3 and maybe even Metal gear solid 2.

but one of the most important reasens why its so good is,gran turismo 3.its going to be so good and is out friday.which gives you enough time to sell your dreamcast, games and dvd player,and buy a PS2 before its released.
Sun 15/07/01 at 19:24
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
This is going to cause riots!
Sun 15/07/01 at 19:19
Regular
The power of the console determines how long it is likely to last and what sort of games will be released on the console. Of the new consoles the only the PS2 has the ability to last any length of time under the current architecture without looking dated. The Gamecube has a lifespan roughly the same length as the Dreamcast to look forward to, because it is severly limited in what it can do. Everything which can be done with the platform, will be done at release. The same will be true for the Xbox, but it has much more power and features.

The Playstation 2 on the other hand has the ability to develop and be molded by comanies to allow them to evolve game genres. Jak and Daxter will be the biggest step in that direction with a game world which can be moved around in, without the need to stop the game and load new sections as you enter them. Physics engines and AI engines wcan be developed to be far more advanced than will be possible on the Gamecube and Xbox, and this is simply because of the design of the Ps2. Currently we don't know what will be around in 2 years time, but I guarantee the PS2 will be setting all the standards in graphics and gameplay models.
Sun 15/07/01 at 19:12
All of the console wars are down to taste in games!

We don't care about bus speeds and the like, if the game plays well, has a good story etc., I'll buy it!

The games I want on my PS2 are:-

Red faction
Crazy taxi
SSX2
MGS2
Wipeout Fusion

and a few more which aren'y out yet either :)
Sun 15/07/01 at 19:05
Regular
"I like cheese"
Ah, but the PS2 games appeal a lot more to me than the DC ones.

ZOE, StarFighter, MGS2, GT3, Smackdown 3, Devil May Cry, Red Faction-none of them are on DC.

It's all down to taste in games, I guess.
Sun 15/07/01 at 17:25
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Look, as I said at the end of my first thread in this topic, the power of the console means nothing! It's the games!

the Atari Jaguar was 64 bit whereas every other console at the time was 16 bit... but no one bought it because of Ninty having far better games!

For that reason, I personally chose to buy a DC... it may be dead, but why should I care. While PS2 gamers are waiting for MGS2, I have some of the best games in every genre. In racing I have MSR, in Fighting I have Soul Calibur and as for original games there is Jet Set.

So, rather than say "the PS2 can do 75 million polys" (which is, in fact rubbish... having actually tested the console with proper 3d effects developers say 25million is a better estimate), why not concentrate on the game... which for me leads to me automatically buying a DC, and when the games dry out buying a GC.

Sonic
Sun 15/07/01 at 17:16
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Dan2K1 wrote:
> > harder to master. As a result it is "HARDER" to make
> PS2
> games than it is to make DC games (was it Dan2k who
> said
> otherwise???), and at the moment PS2 and DC games are
> on
> par...

No it was not so shhhh.

Dan2K1, I said it was
> harder to make games for PS2.

ARGHOWWWWWW>

XBOX will be
> £249.99

sorry! Got it the wrong way round!

Sonic
Sun 15/07/01 at 16:28
"High polygon count"
The_Vottanator wrote:
> I read somewhere that the DC can handle 3 million polygons per
> second whereas the PS2 can handle 75 million polygons per second. Is
> this true?

PS2 can push around 75 million raw polys, yes. In game terms, with all effects turned on (textures applied. light sourcing etc.) that figure drops dramatically.

The top game for poly's at the moment is (I believe) Gran Turismo 3, which pushes around the 20-million mark. Which is still quite a large difference.
Sun 15/07/01 at 12:29
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Right, OK Dan. No, I didn't read that, but I probably will now.

Andi: I've snt you an E-mail.
Sun 15/07/01 at 12:23
Regular
"Back For Good"
Dreamcast is great i mean you can now get games from about £6+ even sonic but with acclaim converting Sega's good games over to other consoles the PS2 is far ahead.

Space Channel 5,18 wheeler,zombie revenge,crazy taxi,some others and some exclusives are on their way to the PS2. Code Veronica X is out on september 1st which will just blow games lke extermination for six. Using DVD technology on games means that the games can include options like subtitles.
The PS1 was using VCD and CD technology when other consoles hadn't even found their feet. The PS2 is capable pushing games to the limit but without good games it woudn't do anything, but with the sweet lineup of PS2 games which is far better than any oher consoles (videogames.com) their's no competition.

Gran Turismo 3 is finallly something to show what the PS2 can do, completly using the measurement of forces like wind,weight,areodyamics and friction and i can't wait till next friday when i'll finally be playing it. BUZZIN

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.