GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What's Missing?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 13/07/01 at 19:57
Regular
Games *supposedly* have everything these days. We’ve got FMV (Full Motion Video for the uneducated) sequences, speech, amazingly good graphics, cheats, special modes etc etc...

You’ve got to admit (and so have I) that the things we’ve got in games at the moment are pretty impressive. Particularly the FMV sequences... I never thought that we’d be able to have, basically, videos in games, especially not on cartridges. But developers have gone out and proved that we can. If they did that, then surely they can do anything?

Like I said games *supposedly* have everything. Well I don’t think they do. NOTHING can have everything. Bill Gates can’t have everything, can he? I can’t have everything. Hell, even God can’t have everything. But let’s just slip off to a fantasy world for a minute (Goatboy’s already there so forgot him :-D) Developers can do anything, ANYTHING. They can put anything they want in to a game. But they’re fresh out of ideas.

So... the question is, what would YOU put into a game if you had the chance? What do you thinks missing that would add to the games, atmosphere, playability and overall enjoyment level?

Well, this is what I think is missing: Complete interaction... and I mean COMPLETE interaction (nudge nudge wink wink ;-D)

Why do I think this is missing? Well let me tell you...

Being able to interact with parts of the scenery and certain people in today’s games adds to the feeling of actually being there, in the game. But complete interaction would make the game just like life. Of course at the moment we have Virtual Reality but in that you can’t touch or smell anything which is such a vital part of interaction...

If you had the ability to touch and smell imagine all the possibilities! You could smell a creature approaching you could tell what was poisonous… You could actually touch the trees, people and buildings. Maybe to decide whether or not you could light a match off something. You could choose what you want to say to the characters instead of sticking to the boring speech you could walk up to a gorgeous looking bird and say "How’re you doin’?" Joey style. It just all adds to the feel of the game.

The most useful part of it would be to be able to actually pick up everything. If something you thought looked nice then you could keep it. If you think something may be useful in the future you could keep that. By doing this you could figure out different ways to complete puzzles and missions. You wouldn’t have to stick to the pre-programmed ways, making it all the more life-like and enjoyable.
Also in this way, you could create little side-adventures for yourself. The overall quest would always be there but you could set yourself a target perhaps. Maybe to get up to a certain ledge, whether or not it had any relevance to the overall quest. Or you could kidnap a guard and persuade him to become your spy or something. Imagine how much this would add to the overall enjoyment that you’d get from the game.

What’s missing in your opinion?

RBS
Mon 16/07/01 at 20:11
Luigi's Mansion then, since there are only going to be two games for launch.
Mon 16/07/01 at 20:09
Regular
"You've upset me"
Seriously though, what should I choose? It's gotta be a GameCube game other than : Wave Race, Zelda, Star Fox or Super Smash Brothers. I'd prefer it if it were a launch title but it doesn't have to be.
Mon 16/07/01 at 20:03
Bah... pranksters these days...
Mon 16/07/01 at 19:57
Regular
"You've upset me"
DeltaJava wrote:
*DeltaJava slumps into his chair... and springs up again to find a pin sticking into his rectum. He glances out of the window to see RBS running off chortling with laughter*

:-D
Mon 16/07/01 at 19:54
Winners list? Where's that? I've never visited it before because I never win! Sniff, sniff.

*DeltaJava slumps into his chair*
Mon 16/07/01 at 19:47
Regular
"You've upset me"
DeltaJava wrote:
> Wave Race on the GC!

Check the winners list, I've all ready claimed that.
Mon 16/07/01 at 19:39
Wave Race on the GC!
Mon 16/07/01 at 19:02
Regular
"You've upset me"
Thanks everyone!

Dunno what I'm gonna claim though...
Mon 16/07/01 at 18:06
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
How do I get that?
Mon 16/07/01 at 17:43
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
Shocktrooper wrote:
> How could I get it?

Do I just have to visit the site? AY??

You need a MSN hotmail account or a passport. Then all you do is download it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.