GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What's Missing?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 13/07/01 at 19:57
Regular
Games *supposedly* have everything these days. We’ve got FMV (Full Motion Video for the uneducated) sequences, speech, amazingly good graphics, cheats, special modes etc etc...

You’ve got to admit (and so have I) that the things we’ve got in games at the moment are pretty impressive. Particularly the FMV sequences... I never thought that we’d be able to have, basically, videos in games, especially not on cartridges. But developers have gone out and proved that we can. If they did that, then surely they can do anything?

Like I said games *supposedly* have everything. Well I don’t think they do. NOTHING can have everything. Bill Gates can’t have everything, can he? I can’t have everything. Hell, even God can’t have everything. But let’s just slip off to a fantasy world for a minute (Goatboy’s already there so forgot him :-D) Developers can do anything, ANYTHING. They can put anything they want in to a game. But they’re fresh out of ideas.

So... the question is, what would YOU put into a game if you had the chance? What do you thinks missing that would add to the games, atmosphere, playability and overall enjoyment level?

Well, this is what I think is missing: Complete interaction... and I mean COMPLETE interaction (nudge nudge wink wink ;-D)

Why do I think this is missing? Well let me tell you...

Being able to interact with parts of the scenery and certain people in today’s games adds to the feeling of actually being there, in the game. But complete interaction would make the game just like life. Of course at the moment we have Virtual Reality but in that you can’t touch or smell anything which is such a vital part of interaction...

If you had the ability to touch and smell imagine all the possibilities! You could smell a creature approaching you could tell what was poisonous… You could actually touch the trees, people and buildings. Maybe to decide whether or not you could light a match off something. You could choose what you want to say to the characters instead of sticking to the boring speech you could walk up to a gorgeous looking bird and say "How’re you doin’?" Joey style. It just all adds to the feel of the game.

The most useful part of it would be to be able to actually pick up everything. If something you thought looked nice then you could keep it. If you think something may be useful in the future you could keep that. By doing this you could figure out different ways to complete puzzles and missions. You wouldn’t have to stick to the pre-programmed ways, making it all the more life-like and enjoyable.
Also in this way, you could create little side-adventures for yourself. The overall quest would always be there but you could set yourself a target perhaps. Maybe to get up to a certain ledge, whether or not it had any relevance to the overall quest. Or you could kidnap a guard and persuade him to become your spy or something. Imagine how much this would add to the overall enjoyment that you’d get from the game.

What’s missing in your opinion?

RBS
Fri 13/07/01 at 19:57
Regular
"You've upset me"
Games *supposedly* have everything these days. We’ve got FMV (Full Motion Video for the uneducated) sequences, speech, amazingly good graphics, cheats, special modes etc etc...

You’ve got to admit (and so have I) that the things we’ve got in games at the moment are pretty impressive. Particularly the FMV sequences... I never thought that we’d be able to have, basically, videos in games, especially not on cartridges. But developers have gone out and proved that we can. If they did that, then surely they can do anything?

Like I said games *supposedly* have everything. Well I don’t think they do. NOTHING can have everything. Bill Gates can’t have everything, can he? I can’t have everything. Hell, even God can’t have everything. But let’s just slip off to a fantasy world for a minute (Goatboy’s already there so forgot him :-D) Developers can do anything, ANYTHING. They can put anything they want in to a game. But they’re fresh out of ideas.

So... the question is, what would YOU put into a game if you had the chance? What do you thinks missing that would add to the games, atmosphere, playability and overall enjoyment level?

Well, this is what I think is missing: Complete interaction... and I mean COMPLETE interaction (nudge nudge wink wink ;-D)

Why do I think this is missing? Well let me tell you...

Being able to interact with parts of the scenery and certain people in today’s games adds to the feeling of actually being there, in the game. But complete interaction would make the game just like life. Of course at the moment we have Virtual Reality but in that you can’t touch or smell anything which is such a vital part of interaction...

If you had the ability to touch and smell imagine all the possibilities! You could smell a creature approaching you could tell what was poisonous… You could actually touch the trees, people and buildings. Maybe to decide whether or not you could light a match off something. You could choose what you want to say to the characters instead of sticking to the boring speech you could walk up to a gorgeous looking bird and say "How’re you doin’?" Joey style. It just all adds to the feel of the game.

The most useful part of it would be to be able to actually pick up everything. If something you thought looked nice then you could keep it. If you think something may be useful in the future you could keep that. By doing this you could figure out different ways to complete puzzles and missions. You wouldn’t have to stick to the pre-programmed ways, making it all the more life-like and enjoyable.
Also in this way, you could create little side-adventures for yourself. The overall quest would always be there but you could set yourself a target perhaps. Maybe to get up to a certain ledge, whether or not it had any relevance to the overall quest. Or you could kidnap a guard and persuade him to become your spy or something. Imagine how much this would add to the overall enjoyment that you’d get from the game.

What’s missing in your opinion?

RBS
Fri 13/07/01 at 19:58
Regular
"You've upset me"
Hmmm, longer than I thought!
Fri 13/07/01 at 20:05
That's a good topic. What's missing? Taste (and Smell)-O-Vision will do.
Fri 13/07/01 at 20:12
"I love yo... lamp."
I do not know what is missing other than complete interaction but that is a good few years off. In the mean time let developers at least concentrate on getting games as bug free and as good as possible. They are not really good at that yet are they?
Fri 13/07/01 at 20:15
Regular
"You've upset me"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> I do not know what is missing other than complete interaction but
> that is a good few years off.

Bzzzt. Read beginning of post. Bzzzt.
Fri 13/07/01 at 20:18
"I love yo... lamp."
What do you mean see the begginning of the post?
Fri 13/07/01 at 20:22
RastaBillySkank wrote:

>Bzzzt. Read beginning of post. Bzzzt.

Hey, hey, hey! Don't mock my Automatic Robotic Replier!
Fri 13/07/01 at 20:23
Regular
"You've upset me"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> What do you mean see the begginning of the post?

But let’s just slip off to a fantasy world for a minute (Goatboy’s already there so
forgot him :-D) Developers can do anything, ANYTHING

That bit of my original post. :-)
Fri 13/07/01 at 20:36
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Having a permanent DSL connection to your console would mean that you could play every game online, and every time you played you'd be up against different characters, different levels of playing ability, which would make the gameplay unique each time you play.

At present you only get that kind of interraction with PC games in the main, although the Dreamcast went some way to trying to bring this connectivity to the forefront of gaming.

But now that Sega are going to start pay per play in the US for their release of PSO version 2, that kind of dream has been put back a few years, because who wants to play a game when you have to watch the clock at the same time?

If consoles could all have high speed free unmetered access, then this wouldn't be a problem, and games would have a MUCH longer livespan. When was the last time you dug out your copy of Gran Turismo 2 and had a really difficult race? Now imagine that each time you played, you were up against REAL drivers, see? A whole new game.
Fri 13/07/01 at 20:42
"I love yo... lamp."
Ir you can post as good as that with low batteries then you must be even better with fresh ones.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.