GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"FAO Alastair"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/05/04 at 13:00
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Have you joined the import club and got your PS2 yet mate? What releases you planning on getting?

Having the import option adds a whole new lease of life to the PS2 as you don't only have access to the very dull European PS2 release scheudle but instead have tons of great games that never see the light of day over here. Plus the RPG's are far better, Star Ocean 3 is the one i'm waiting for the most
Wed 02/06/04 at 11:23
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I know these questions aren't for me but don't get a chip (DNAS problems) get a flip-top/boot disc combo.
Wed 02/06/04 at 11:27
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Darwock wrote:
> I know these questions aren't for me but don't get a chip (DNAS
> problems) get a flip-top/boot disc combo.

that's great, but i'm not trying to breakdance mate. wrong thread.

:)

*explain please*
Wed 02/06/04 at 15:06
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
If you're planning to go online with it then i'd take Darwock's advice and go for the flip top method instead of the chip, although i can go online with my chip it is bloody awkward having to keep turning it off each time, and it is a pretentious little thing that doesn't want to be turned off that easily. However if you just want to play imports and online isn't important go for the chip

Clazon wrote:
> questions for lakers:
>
> how much for chip?
> fitting fee?

Latest price down my local computer fair was £50 for a messiah 2 chip fitted there and then

> reliability of games working?

As long as the chip is put in fine and it works and you get your games from a reputable person you know you can trust (i get my proper NTSC games from contacts in Japan and America) then they should work with no problems at all like mine
> where find out about games?

www.ntsc-uk.com is a good site to go recommended to me by Bleeders, or have a look in my import thread i'll keep posting stuff in there from time to time.

> price of game (remember VAT, tax and duties + delivery)?

Don't know about this as my friends sends me the games so i don't have to pay anything.

> is there a point in doing this so late in the ps2s life?

Can get access to so many great games, particularly RPG's, that never get released in Europe and you can get stuff a good few months before anyone else, like me and Pro Evo 4 :-D Gives you bragging rights over your mates as you feel very smug asking them round for a game of Pro Evo 4 or a race around a track on Gran Turismo 4

> will the ps3 have the same ability?

Talk of it using those blu-ray discs which would make it hard to do seeing as a copier of them costs around 3 grand i think but like all measures to stop piracy it will soon fail and get cracked by the chippers
Sat 05/06/04 at 20:48
Regular
"The Red Shift"
i'm still not sure because £50 for the chip is quite steep.

do you know any english companies that sell imports?

do the chips do all regions (ie. america, because that's one of the best places to buy games, assuming they have english versions of japanese games.

which leads nicely on to the third question. how do you translate bloody japanese?
Sat 05/06/04 at 20:50
Regular
": ("
If you have Freeloader for your Gamecube can you join the Import Club?

Pwetty Pwease?
Sat 05/06/04 at 20:55
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Clazon wrote:
> i'm still not sure because £50 for the chip is quite steep.

Let me put it like this, you get one copied game (if you want the chip for that purpose) and you've almost got your money back straight away.

> do you know any english companies that sell imports?

No sorry, i have contacts over in Japan and America who send me the games so i don't bother with import sites.

> do the chips do all regions (ie. america, because that's one of the
> best places to buy games, assuming they have english versions of
> japanese games.

Yup.

> which leads nicely on to the third question. how do you translate
> bloody japanese?

There is a section on www.ntsc-uk.com that gives you some japanese translation but i went the whole hog and decided to learn the language. Helps me in my Uni/job search over in Japan while also allowing me to understand what the hell is going on in the Japanese games :-D
Sat 05/06/04 at 21:06
Regular
"The Red Shift"
lalakersrule wrote:
> There is a section on www.ntsc-uk.com that gives you some japanese
> translation but i went the whole hog and decided to learn the
> language. Helps me in my Uni/job search over in Japan while also
> allowing me to understand what the hell is going on in the Japanese
> games :-D

he he. i know a tiny bit of mandarin, but i won't be doing japanese for the sake of my games.

i shall consider the options over the next week, with more research and then post on sunday.
Sat 05/06/04 at 21:08
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Could do what my uncle does and sits there with a big old japanese book and looks up each symbol seperatly. I think it's taken him about 8 months to get half way through suikoden 3. Asked why he just doesn't use my US version and all he says is *it's the principle of the thing*

Family members eh?
Sat 05/06/04 at 21:19
Regular
"The Red Shift"
like i said before US version is the best option.

do they have the same games as japan?
Sat 05/06/04 at 21:21
Regular
"The Red Shift"
just before i do my research, any games i should look at more closely?

FPS, sports or good non-completely japanese style games (zelda, etc. yes. onimusha no)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.