GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Getting Primed all over again"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 24/05/04 at 15:00
Regular
"Smooth Operator"
Well it's sure been a long time!

What with paintball, setting up my own business, working really hard at the day job and basically just not having a 2 minutes to rub together I have neglected my gaming duties and this forum - not that I posted much anyways - less is more in some cases I guess.

But...but... last week I dug out Metroid Prime and decided it was gonna get finished, whether I did it in 5 minute bits or not. I really struggled with it when it came out, being an FPS man born and bred, cutting my teeth on Castle Wolfenstein (the ORIGINAL!!) through to perfecting the rocket jump in Quake 3, playing COD and whooping like an idiot when I took the Nazi HQ (classic moment)*sigh* what was i to do with this weird control system??

Grit my teeth and bear it! It's probably been said a million times. Get over the controls and this game is pure gold. With diamonds. The first time you look over phendrana, to the shriek of the chozo ghost...even watching the water drops spatter on your visor...Brilliance. I think I speak for all who loved it that seeing samus' reflection in the visor was a defining moment.

It's weird the feeling you get playing it - it's like a continuous wonder, mixed with some trepidation about what is around the corner. Every location is great.

The graphics are still marvelous. The environments are large, detailed, and in my opinion outshine those of Halo's (barring some technical bits. I played all the way through and completed - so a qualified opinion this is) for variety and attention to detail. Ok their not bump mapped, real time self shadowed or level 2 pixelshaded and to a large extent don't use things that make games like doom 3 and far cry awesome to look at but...I realised last night that there is a physics model applied to the pirates.

It appears they have rag doll behaviour. I would not have thought it but when I shot a pirate down from a ledge he tumbled and bounced realistically. I tried this on other pirates on slopes and steps and things (I wanted to make sure it wasn't an animation). The first time I saw this in Unreal II I was really impressed. To know this was included in Prime - when the render engine in UII was such a beast - is really impressive.

Anyhoo - I am loving this game. Going through a difficult patch in the Phazon mines but it's challenging rather than frustrating. I am in the Prime bubble now (you know what I mean, when you get into a game boots and all) which is a bit sad - but anyone else who has played recently, is playing or will play it soon - pass some comments...it would be great to hear about the bits that you enjoy.

Laters (for another 6 months perhaps ;o)
Mon 24/05/04 at 15:00
Regular
"Smooth Operator"
Well it's sure been a long time!

What with paintball, setting up my own business, working really hard at the day job and basically just not having a 2 minutes to rub together I have neglected my gaming duties and this forum - not that I posted much anyways - less is more in some cases I guess.

But...but... last week I dug out Metroid Prime and decided it was gonna get finished, whether I did it in 5 minute bits or not. I really struggled with it when it came out, being an FPS man born and bred, cutting my teeth on Castle Wolfenstein (the ORIGINAL!!) through to perfecting the rocket jump in Quake 3, playing COD and whooping like an idiot when I took the Nazi HQ (classic moment)*sigh* what was i to do with this weird control system??

Grit my teeth and bear it! It's probably been said a million times. Get over the controls and this game is pure gold. With diamonds. The first time you look over phendrana, to the shriek of the chozo ghost...even watching the water drops spatter on your visor...Brilliance. I think I speak for all who loved it that seeing samus' reflection in the visor was a defining moment.

It's weird the feeling you get playing it - it's like a continuous wonder, mixed with some trepidation about what is around the corner. Every location is great.

The graphics are still marvelous. The environments are large, detailed, and in my opinion outshine those of Halo's (barring some technical bits. I played all the way through and completed - so a qualified opinion this is) for variety and attention to detail. Ok their not bump mapped, real time self shadowed or level 2 pixelshaded and to a large extent don't use things that make games like doom 3 and far cry awesome to look at but...I realised last night that there is a physics model applied to the pirates.

It appears they have rag doll behaviour. I would not have thought it but when I shot a pirate down from a ledge he tumbled and bounced realistically. I tried this on other pirates on slopes and steps and things (I wanted to make sure it wasn't an animation). The first time I saw this in Unreal II I was really impressed. To know this was included in Prime - when the render engine in UII was such a beast - is really impressive.

Anyhoo - I am loving this game. Going through a difficult patch in the Phazon mines but it's challenging rather than frustrating. I am in the Prime bubble now (you know what I mean, when you get into a game boots and all) which is a bit sad - but anyone else who has played recently, is playing or will play it soon - pass some comments...it would be great to hear about the bits that you enjoy.

Laters (for another 6 months perhaps ;o)
Mon 24/05/04 at 15:27
Regular
I really need to get into the game more - I start off liking it, then get bored on it.
Mon 24/05/04 at 23:12
Regular
"thursdayton!"
I was quite a way into Phazon Mines, about 60% of all items too, was getting pretty close to the end.. and then I deleted my save. Nobtard.

So now I'm back in Phendrana doing what I think is one of the less exciting bits of the game - all the pirate research stuff.
Outside Phendrana = *jism* Inside = *yawn*.
Tue 25/05/04 at 09:21
Regular
"Smooth Operator"
tphi wrote:
> I was quite a way into Phazon Mines, about 60% of all items too, was
> getting pretty close to the end.. and then I deleted my save.
> Nobtard.
>
> So now I'm back in Phendrana doing what I think is one of the less
> exciting bits of the game - all the pirate research stuff.
> Outside Phendrana = *jism* Inside = *yawn*.

Yowch. I really do like Phendrana - I go back there to chill and hunt about for upgrades, the phazon mines are a quite hectic with all those pirates about. I just scanned a huge phazon mutated pirate...thats one thing about this game...it gives you lil snippets of info about things that look decidedly nasty and then sends one out to kick your @ss. Fighting the Tardus was a fairly interesting experience... I nearly weed myself when he stood up. He's made of stone for feck sakes how am I supposed to kick his ass? The little custscene after made me chuckle. The pebble that pings off Samus head, she looks so indignant.

Wicked game. So - without spoiling it too much - what do I have to look forward to? I am where tphi was - about 60% through...
Tue 25/05/04 at 10:29
Regular
"gsybe you!"
You will get a particularly cool suit.

Yes.

MP is odd. It never attempts to blow you away as such, with some giant Halo-esque vista or stunning cut-scene. It just exudes quality.
Tue 25/05/04 at 11:41
Regular
As my time on earth is taken away by University and Society my ability to play the game last year when it was released was non existant. I completed a tiny part of the game before I slammed through it a year later. I have just got the power bombs... wonderful little title and I can't believe I doubted this as the best ever Nintendo Gamecube title.

I honestly believe this has the capabilities to be the 'big thing' on the Gamecube.
Tue 25/05/04 at 12:28
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I got about 95% through the game, and I think I got almost all of the upgrades (all those missile thingermies - took ages), and I was putting off fighting the final boss for ages, but then Zelda came along and I didn't play it again.
Now when I try and beat Meta Ridley, I can't because I'm out of Prime mode, and I'm just out of practise. It's really annoying, but I'll do it one day, I swear. If I defeated all the other bosses without dying I can do this.
Tue 25/05/04 at 13:27
Regular
Get Echoes, train yourself up through that, then return to Prime and finish it off :D
Tue 25/05/04 at 13:35
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> As my time on earth is taken away by University

You're at Uni? That's rather surprising. What do you study there?
Tue 25/05/04 at 13:46
Regular
"Smooth Operator"
Dringo wrote:
> As my time on earth is taken away by University and Society my ability
> to play the game last year when it was released was non existant. I
> completed a tiny part of the game before I slammed through it a year
> later. I have just got the power bombs... wonderful little title and
> I can't believe I doubted this as the best ever Nintendo Gamecube
> title.
>
> I honestly believe this has the capabilities to be the 'big thing' on
> the Gamecube.

hmmm - it seems to be a regular occurence this. Peeps bying the game, having a go and then leaving it off for some reason. Could it be that the pace/learning curve is too steep? Controls too awkward at first? Story doesn't progress fast enough? Then - after all the rants/ previews of Echoes we dust it off and have another go, squealing with delight as we realise it definitely is AS GOOD as others said it was. I *sheepish* admit that I also did not finish windwaker...eep. Got about 1/3rd through and stopped.

But for some reason I did not trade the games in like I did woth other titles. Must have been their little voices saying "Keep me. I rock. Just you wait."

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.