GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Survival Horrors!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 12/07/01 at 12:37
Regular
Should they be allowed...?

I am a Christian, as many of you know and because of this and the morals set by God in the Bible I PERSONALLY don't think that Survival Horrors should be around. I mean, with games like Zelda, Mario, Final Fantasy, Sonic and Shenmue there is enough gameplay elsewhere to have monsters etc in games.

What really gets me about the Survival Horror genre is the intent set in the game. I don't like the idea of monsters jumping out of the wall and little girls screaming. The games companies put these sounds in and they have no idea how many nightmares have spawned from them... Maybe I am biased against it because I think it's wrong but i'm only human.

I suppose you could argue that there were monsters in games beforehand... no doubt there were games that people 'didn't approve of' because of the content. But with graphics becoming more and more realistic you could suggest that the old monsters didn't have the same effect.

What worries me is that a lot of parents buy their kids games because they think...

"Oh it's just another Mario game thingy!"...

but it isn't... Survival horrors are meant for 15/18’S+. Youngsters are still very impressionable and at that age should be playing games like Mario, Crash Bandicoot and SSX.

But we can't blame the Survival Horror genre for the parents' negligence can we?! The genre is very popular and more and more companies are exploring it. From a professional stand-point I think they should be around. They're a great source of revenue for games companies and regardless of the theme multiplayer S.H gaming is very exciting!

What's wrong with them professionally...?

Well for a start they can get boring... Ever since the first Resident Evil the whole genre, regardless of platform seems to have slumped. The ideas and suspense implemented into the games is getting old and boring. Storylines in games, although not identical, are getting more and more similar so people are starting to think...

"If you've played one you've played them all!"

We as gamers know this isn't the case but try telling that to Joe Bloggs!

I think the whole genre needs a big revamp. Mixing genres has always proved quite popular... If only there was a FPS Resident Evil or a Alone in the Dark RPG, people will always be interested in monsters etc, but the only way companies like Capcom and 'SurvivalHorrorCo. #1' are going to capitalise on the popularity of the genre is by exploring new ideas and offering new games!

The last thing games of this genre should be is predictable but the developer’s thing that if it's got better graphics and it worked last time it'll work again... But they're wrong!

Why has the scare factor gone down?!

Maybe because of the similarity in looks or storylines... After minutes or even seconds of watching a film you can tell whether or not you've seen it... but with some survival horror games, especially the multi-game series, you find it quite hard to distinguish between the games. This isn't a very common problem and it's not a major issue, but the principle behind the games is the same.

Suspense and Fear are lost through recognition of events... in other words people have been in a similar situation before and seeing as only one thing can happen at that moment in time... all unknowing is wiped out.

I think the remedy for this 'dying' genre is Hollywood. Most scary movies are unique and they attract millions of people to the cinema each week. Maybe if Capcom were to get someone like Wes Craven (Creator of Nightmare on Elm Street & Scream series) to help them with ideas and projects they'd be able to offer the individuality in their games that most movies do at the cinema.

There is definitely a place in the future for the genre and if companies can just take that step into exploring new ideas we could very well see some great games down the line. Added to which, with the power and capabilities of consoles nowadays we could definitely see some genre defying games come our way...

What are YOUR views on the genre?!

Thanks...

Game
Thu 12/07/01 at 14:08
"High polygon count"
The Game wrote:
> I know where my faith lies... Jesus wouldn't have
> played SH games so i don't... end of story...

Ah, but you don't know that!

Who's to say that good old JC wouldn't have enjoyed pretending that every zombie in Resi was really the rotting corpse of Judas, and blown seven shades of crap out of him with a shotgun? Such an out-and-out goody-two-shoes must have harboured a lot of pent-up agression! :-)
Thu 12/07/01 at 14:08
Regular
S.H games are based on suspense, not gore.

Lots of blood doesn't make something scary. The sound effects, music and timing all add together to create an atmosphere which some people may find 'scary'.

I personally find Resident Evil dull. It bored me to tears. There was too much just running around, I was never sure what to do. But then thats just me, I know some people love them.
Thu 12/07/01 at 13:47
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Go ahead Slaveunit... I'd like to hear your views...

What do you think about Survival Horror games?

If you can't put it into words answer these questions in length...

1 - Do you approve of Survival Horror games?

2 - How could they be improved?

3 - What would you like to see more of in them?

Please?!

Game
Thu 12/07/01 at 13:42
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
(I soooo want to get involved in this, but I rem,ember what happened last time - toes were tread on)
Thu 12/07/01 at 13:25
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Absolutely, but I was about 9 when it came out I think and it wasn't "suitable" for me back then.
Thu 12/07/01 at 13:25
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:

Odd, as some of the worst and most horrific atrocities ever committed have been by religious groups, in the name of God.

I am not a religious group... I'm not responsible for what other people in the Bible did...

I know where my faith lies... Jesus wouldn't have played SH games so i don't... end of story...

Although I wouldn't imagine Jesus would have played pool and listened to Eric Clapton and Radiohead that much but well... I don't see how you can compare the two!

And hey...I'm not perfect!

DON'T COMMENT!!! :)

Game
Thu 12/07/01 at 13:23
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Goatboy wrote:

My mum wouldnt let me watch
> "Thriller" by Micheal Jackson when I was a kid, and vetted
> a lot of movies until I knew what was what.

I saw that last weekend at my friends house, it was the funniest thing i have ever seen.
Thu 12/07/01 at 13:18
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I disliked the Resident Evil games because they didnt really do much except "Shoot Zombies".

"Silent Hill" however, affected me quite strongly in places. It was the atmosphere more than the gore.
But, like Game said, I'm an adult, don't tell me what I can and cannot play or watch.

If kids play these things, or if parents let them, good.
That'll teach them to be so slack in parenting.

My mum wouldnt let me watch "Thriller" by Micheal Jackson when I was a kid, and vetted a lot of movies until I knew what was what.

I like to be affected by a game, be it scared, amused, excited.
I dont want bland "rescue the princess" games, they bore me to tears. But I dont demand that nobody else shouldn't play them.

Each to their own, I don't really care what the person next to me wants to do, it's none of my business.
Thu 12/07/01 at 13:09
"High polygon count"
The Game wrote:
> I am a Christian, as many of you know
> and because of this and the morals set by God in the Bible I
> PERSONALLY don't think that Survival Horrors should be around.

Odd, as some of the worst and most horrific atrocities ever committed have been by religious groups, in the name of God.

> Well for a start they can get boring... Ever since the first Resident Evil
> the whole genre, regardless of platform seems to have slumped.

Hello? What planet are you on? RE:CV, Extermination sold out in Northampton in 24 hours, Onimusha: Warlords, Devil May Cry - all huge games. The Survival Horror genre is far from dead (no pun intended).

> Storylines in games, although not identical, are getting
> more and more similar so people are starting to think...
> "If you've played one you've played them all!"

You could also say that about any other game genre - platformers, RPG's, racing...

>I think the whole genre needs a big revamp.

That I could live with - but preferably one with a much more sinister plot, more violence and gore, and no damn censorship imposed by the Mary Whitehouse brigade.

As Meka has said, the Survival Horror genre has a long, long way to go yet. It's one genre that really will benefit from better graphics, as they'll be able scare the hell out of you much more as graphics become more realisitc. I imagine that before long, you'll have games that are far scarier than any horror film, because you'll be able to realise much more in a game than than you could in a film; unless of course that film was entirely CGI.
Thu 12/07/01 at 12:56
Regular
"not dead"
Personally I don't think that there's anything wrong with survival horrors, they might scare some little kids, but they're not going to infulence them to do evil things!

It does seem as though survival horror has to revolve around zombies a little too much though! Zombies are cool, but they are a bit slow, and other that their appearance, aren't that scary!

I think the genre will expand so that it is less 'survival horror', and more 'horror' as it expands to use fresh ideas.

Eternal Darkess, a game being developed by Silican Knights for the GAMECUBE looks very much like your typical survival horror, but adds an extra feature, the 'sanity' meter. If this drops below a certain level, you start to have strange hallucinations.

It sounds like something different, and it's one of the titles that I'm looking forward to.

Apparently Konami have aquired the license to the movie 'The Thing'. Some of you may have seen my post regarding this in the Nintendo forum, but if not I'll just go over my main feelings towards this:

The beauty of The Thing was in not knowing what shape the alien may have taken on. Any one of those men could have been 'the thing', and if a game can incorporate the same sense of paranoia as the film had, then it could herald the dawn of a new age in horror gaming.

Now what I'd find interesting would be a horror game in which YOU were the killer, stalking teenagers whilst all of their parents had miraculously disappeared, devising increasingly more fiendish ways of murdering those dirty teens, lacking in morals (as is the message in ALL old horror movies, those that have sex WILL die).

Survival Horror is one of the genres that has the most potential over the next generation of gaming as when it comes to fear, better graphics will help, as will superior sound effects. It's one genre that is more effected by visuals and sound than any other, in my opinion. It just wouldn't be the same if all of the buildings where in pastel shades, and the villians were big blue squirrels, whilst 'Sunshine, Lollypops and Rainbows' played in the background!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.