GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Chipping my ps2, is it a good idea ?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/06/04 at 12:22
Regular
I have been thinking recently about chipping my ps2, but I have a lot of questions, and I need someone to answer them:
1- Some people told me that chipping the PS2 reduces the colour depth of the NTSC games played on it to 16 bit, is it true ?
2- A lot of people told me that FMV sequances keep skipping due to something that has to do with 50/60 HZ in sound/picture, is it true ?
3-All people that I know who have chipped PS2's keep saying that it gets broken or the lens is damaged or something like that after a short time m is it true?
4-Some people say that using compact discs like ps1 games damage it, is it true ?
Please I need detailed answers.
Fri 04/06/04 at 09:48
Regular
Dang, forgot about online. Oh well, PS2 online is pap anyway.
Fri 04/06/04 at 09:45
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
No it's not just the moral/legal implications, there are difficulties in going online and also you never know when Sony might introduce new anti-mod protection in games (as happened with PS1 and early PS2 chips).

Look at www.ps2magic.com or www.hdloader.com for alternatives (both addresses from memory, may be wrong)
Fri 04/06/04 at 07:40
Regular
No, from a technological side, there is no problem with chipping. It's the moral/legal sides of chipping where it's not 'OK'.

Doesn't stop hundreds of people doing it though...

Your PS2 will be fine.
Fri 04/06/04 at 07:30
Regular
What does that mean ? Will the quality of games be affected ?
Fri 04/06/04 at 07:16
Regular
From a technological side, no.
Fri 04/06/04 at 07:05
Regular
So does this mean that there is absolutely nothing wrong with chipping my ps2 ?
Thu 03/06/04 at 14:11
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
yea none of it is true, had mine chipped for 3 years now and my launch PS2 is still going as strong as ever
Thu 03/06/04 at 13:18
Regular
Better to talk about this on MSN.

[email protected]
Thu 03/06/04 at 13:17
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
None of those are true but it's still not a good idea.

There are less drastic options available which achieve the same results (and a new one in a couple of weeks, the HDloader - although you would need to buy a hard disk as well)
Thu 03/06/04 at 12:22
Regular
I have been thinking recently about chipping my ps2, but I have a lot of questions, and I need someone to answer them:
1- Some people told me that chipping the PS2 reduces the colour depth of the NTSC games played on it to 16 bit, is it true ?
2- A lot of people told me that FMV sequances keep skipping due to something that has to do with 50/60 HZ in sound/picture, is it true ?
3-All people that I know who have chipped PS2's keep saying that it gets broken or the lens is damaged or something like that after a short time m is it true?
4-Some people say that using compact discs like ps1 games damage it, is it true ?
Please I need detailed answers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.