GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Chipping my ps2, is it a good idea ?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/06/04 at 12:22
Regular
I have been thinking recently about chipping my ps2, but I have a lot of questions, and I need someone to answer them:
1- Some people told me that chipping the PS2 reduces the colour depth of the NTSC games played on it to 16 bit, is it true ?
2- A lot of people told me that FMV sequances keep skipping due to something that has to do with 50/60 HZ in sound/picture, is it true ?
3-All people that I know who have chipped PS2's keep saying that it gets broken or the lens is damaged or something like that after a short time m is it true?
4-Some people say that using compact discs like ps1 games damage it, is it true ?
Please I need detailed answers.
Sat 05/06/04 at 22:46
Regular
"um..."
Mate of mine got his PS2 Chipped just after he bought it and a few days later it broke down, sony wouldn't send him a new one, chipping voided the guarantee. he took it to a computer shop who repaired it only for it to break down a few days later again. He sent it away to a different shop for it to be repaired took about 3 months and it still didn't wprk he just gave up and got an XBOX
Sat 05/06/04 at 20:57
Regular
": ("
Theres some kinda Freeloader thing for the Cube that allows you to play US and JAP games, im sure theres one for the PS2 as well...
Sat 05/06/04 at 20:06
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Lou Role wrote:
> That's probably what did happen, but I still wouldn't want to risk
> chipping my PS2. There's no need for me do to it anyway, when I got
> my PS1 chipped it was because I was still at school and couldn't
> afford £30 for a game, however I can get games a lot easier
> now.

I got mine just for the vastly superior NTSC releases and better versions of the games. If i hadn't i'd be very bored with my PS2
Sat 05/06/04 at 20:05
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
That's probably what did happen, but I still wouldn't want to risk chipping my PS2. There's no need for me to do it anyway, when I got my PS1 chipped it was because I was still at school and couldn't afford £30 for a game, however I can get games a lot easier now.
Sat 05/06/04 at 19:58
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Lou Role wrote:
> I know I wouldn't get my PS2 chipped. I got my PS1 chipped and the
> laser started to go dodgy a few months down the line. It was maybe a
> coincidence, but I wouldn't want to take the risk.

Guy who did it probably screwed it up during the chipping stage. Started to play my PSX again for the first time in ages the other day and it goes fine. 9 odd years, not bad life span seeing as it's been stuck in a dusty drawer for the past 2 years
Sat 05/06/04 at 19:56
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I know I wouldn't get my PS2 chipped. I got my PS1 chipped and the laser started to go dodgy a few months down the line. It was maybe a coincidence, but I wouldn't want to take the risk.
Sat 05/06/04 at 19:47
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
dante son of sparda wrote:
> Yea it shortens the life span of it, also if anyone tells you that a
> game console will only be able to play for a certain amount of time
> like a friend told me it's life span is 2 years, ignore them, mine
> has lasted since the first year it came out.

and if anyone tells you that having your PS2 chipped will shorten it's lifespan like dante here ignore them as well. Had mine for almost 4 years now and still going as strong as ever.

Anyway far as the online aspect goes, if you go for the Messiah 2 chip, which you should do seeing as it's the best in my opinion, then you can turn it off and can go online fine. When the online checks start up and check to see if you have a chip then as long as it's turned off it'll just happily start up and let you online, it's just a pain turning it off, usually takes me about 2 or 3 goes for it to finally turn off and allow me online.
Fri 04/06/04 at 14:53
Regular
"Jackpot!"
Yea it shortens the life span of it, also if anyone tells you that a game console will only be able to play for a certain amount of time like a friend told me it's life span is 2 years, ignore them, mine has lasted since the first year it came out.

That's probably about 4-5 years old.
Fri 04/06/04 at 12:40
Regular
You can turn chips off, allowing you to go online if you wanted to.
Fri 04/06/04 at 12:37
Regular
You know what ? I guess everybody is right. I won't chip it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.