GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Chipping my ps2, is it a good idea ?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/06/04 at 12:22
Regular
I have been thinking recently about chipping my ps2, but I have a lot of questions, and I need someone to answer them:
1- Some people told me that chipping the PS2 reduces the colour depth of the NTSC games played on it to 16 bit, is it true ?
2- A lot of people told me that FMV sequances keep skipping due to something that has to do with 50/60 HZ in sound/picture, is it true ?
3-All people that I know who have chipped PS2's keep saying that it gets broken or the lens is damaged or something like that after a short time m is it true?
4-Some people say that using compact discs like ps1 games damage it, is it true ?
Please I need detailed answers.
Mon 07/06/04 at 11:58
Regular
"uncopyable"
omg wtf lol wrote:
> Better to talk about this on MSN.
>
> [email protected]

My advice, have a chat to this guy on MSN (if you have not done so already) as there is more misinformation in this thread about PS2 modding than comes out of G Bush's mouth with regard to Iraq.

Matty knows what he is talking about - simply because I taught him everything he knows. Isn't that right Matt :-D

I would give you my MSN, but i simply do not have the time to educate another noob as to how chips/mods/copying and the general PS2 scene works.

All I will say is this; getting a mod chip for your PS2 will be the single best thing you will ever do with it. Just get a good one like Messiah 2.
Sun 06/06/04 at 20:02
Regular
"The Red Shift"
J-42 wrote:
> You shouldn't chip it. Anyway, isn't it illegal?

nope. only to sell it with a chip, or use copied games of those you don't own.
Sun 06/06/04 at 17:05
"period drama"
Clazon wrote:
> FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
>
> You can buy new cases for your PS2, with flip-top lids included,
> then
> you can use a boot disc easily. This is a much safer option than
> chipping - I will do it once I've got enough money to spare.
>
> you got any more info on this FFF?

This is the site I was given:
[URL]http://212.67.202.26/~console-0/catalog/default.php?cPath=27&osCsid=7a9e76736a74771439444fa43c4da80c[/URL]

But it's best to ask the people who've actually done it if you want to.
Sun 06/06/04 at 16:56
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
You shouldn't chip it. Anyway, isn't it illegal?
Sun 06/06/04 at 14:34
Regular
"The Red Shift"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Well, NTSC games all run in 60Hz (PAL at 50) which gives a much
> sharper, better quality picture.
> And a lot of things often go wrong in PAL conversions - you get
> massive black borders top and bottom of the screen (DMC, FFX) and
> even a drop in frame rate on occasions.

balls, my old telly is a 50hz.
Sun 06/06/04 at 14:33
Regular
"The Red Shift"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:

> You can buy new cases for your PS2, with flip-top lids included, then
> you can use a boot disc easily. This is a much safer option than
> chipping - I will do it once I've got enough money to spare.

you got any more info on this FFF?
Sun 06/06/04 at 13:56
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
Silent Death wrote:
> I have been thinking recently about chipping my ps2, but I have a lot
> of questions, and I need someone to answer them:
> 1- Some people told me that chipping the PS2 reduces the colour depth
> of the NTSC games played on it to 16 bit, is it true ?

no, although purchashing a better scart lead is advisable for copied dvd's. the blue PS2 games (cds) can be easly copied and come out perfect.

> 2- A lot of people told me that FMV sequances keep skipping due to
> something that has to do with 50/60 HZ in sound/picture, is it true
> ?

they only reason they will skip is on dvd games when the copyier sometimes shortens the disks down so he can use a cd rather than a dvd, basically a cheap-skate copyier.

> 3-All people that I know who have chipped PS2's keep saying that it
> gets broken or the lens is damaged or something like that after a
> short time m is it true?

if using a chip with SBOX the chip does not effect the lens at all, it is only the wiring that is changed. although if your playstaion isn't chipped well, with strong wire links they can break off and your PS2 may not operate correctly (this can be corrected by reinserting the wires in the coreect places)

> 4-Some people say that using compact discs like ps1 games damage it,
> is it true ?

hahahahahaha NO!

> Please I need detailed answers.

i have got mine chipped, some dvd games come out black and white, because of compressing 4.5gb disks into 600mb ones or something along those lines.

if you have a cd-rw you can copy blue ps2 games easly as they have very little security.

you will need ACTION REPLAY 2 VERSION 2 in order to work the chip (if SBOX chip) as this hacks into the game to insert cheats usually but insted you can hack into it with no cheats etc.

personnaly i would only buy a chip if you know somebody who copys games or if you have a dvd-rw.

also - it is only illegal to copy games you do not own! and to sell your playstaion with a chip. this obvouisly voids your warranty.

if you move your PS2 around alot, this may loosen wires.

the best chips to buy are the expensive ones, with seperate boxes on the usb port (SBOX)

my PS2 is sat in its position hasn't moved for 3 years since chip went in, still works fine.

*edit* also the speed that the Cd drive comes out is affected, the drive comes out about hlaf the speed, this is hardly notacible and you will get used to it quickly. you can also use normal games like normal without touching anything.
Sun 06/06/04 at 13:34
"period drama"
Stridman wrote:
> Theres some kinda Freeloader thing for the Cube that allows you to
> play US and JAP games, im sure theres one for the PS2 as well...

No, it wouldn't work.
Something to do with the disc tray on the PS2, which stops the disc and resets the laser (or something) when you open it - whereas the GC has a flip-top lid, which makes things a lot easier. As did the PSX.

You can buy new cases for your PS2, with flip-top lids included, then you can use a boot disc easily. This is a much safer option than chipping - I will do it once I've got enough money to spare.
Sun 06/06/04 at 13:31
"period drama"
Well, NTSC games all run in 60Hz (PAL at 50) which gives a much sharper, better quality picture.
And a lot of things often go wrong in PAL conversions - you get massive black borders top and bottom of the screen (DMC, FFX) and even a drop in frame rate on occasions.
Sun 06/06/04 at 09:40
Regular
"The Red Shift"
lalakersrule wrote:
> better versions of the games.

are the games actually better. and how?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.