GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GAMING: Does it encourage bullying?????? ©"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/07/01 at 03:40
Regular
Earlier a respected regular who goes by the name of Dringo said this:

“When I stick up for Nintendo at School I tend to get hit mainly by someone called Neal”

This, I found is terrible. Dringo is getting bullied by someone because of something he believes in, and believes he should stand by, it is disgusting, what is the world coming to???

Both gaming and bullying are everywhere in this world, no matter where you go. But I find it disgusting when you can stick up for something you believe in with out getting bullied, like Dringo here. This “incident” has got me thinking about gaming and if it is a cause of bullying, what do you think??? Well, Dringo is not the only person subject to this type of bullying because there must be hundreds if not thousands of people subject to this

But I find this ironic, because usually it is people who know a lot about computers and gaming, who get bullied by people who believe that this type of stuff, is “geeky”, but now everything has gone mad and it is our fellow gamers who are turning on us, solely because you believe different things to them.

This brings me to this question, are computer games a cause of bullying?? This is a serious question to think about, because bullying is a serious matter, it can draw people to suicide. I know how it feels when someone does this, because an old friend of my, he got bullied for the way he dressed and what he liked, and he ended up killing himself, when his mother told me I was very upset.

In games nowadays there is always a hint of bullying in them, sometimes it is so subtle you cannot recognise it but, sometimes it does stand out, and it is uncalled for. Bullying is not something that should be taken lightly, it can cause great pain to the people are victims to it and sometimes to their family as well, and if games can promote this then it could become more frequent. It must be stopped, games should not be able to promote such things, because it is very serious.

---------------

This brings me to the subject of Racism.

Racism is everywhere in this world today, no matter where you go it is always there. No matter what colour you are, what you believe, or what you nationality is you can and will be at least once be subject to racial abuse. People who are from Pakistan, or who are Indian are usually subject to name calling and sometimes things more severe. Racism is everywhere it is not just in reality either, it is in films and jokes and there is even hints of it in games.

The type of racism in games is not very obvious, but it is there. The type of racism in games may not be very harsh, and often not offensive to anyone at all, but is still present and noticed. Here is a question for you, how many main characters in computer games are there, who aren’t white??? Well there is going to be an obvious answer of very few.

But this brings to mind another question, is this intentional racism/prejudice??? I don’t think it is, but is well worth a thought. You may be thinking why I am posting something of this nature; well it is something my friend pointed, as I should say he is black and rather cheesed of because of this petty racism.

“There are so many white characters in computer games and not enough black” was what my friend says and he classes this as racism and so do I. This is not blatant racism, by the companies, but certain ethnic groups can think it as offensive and uncalled for. The other type of racism is in a game called Conkers Bad Fur Day, the racism in this is not offensive in any way, to any human, but It is still classed a racism and it could encourage acts of racism in reality.

Bullying and Racism is wrong, and people must realise this, because the effects of it could be serious.

Thanx for reading

><{{{*>
Sun 08/07/01 at 20:49
Bullying someone for what they believe in has always been around-at least nowadays no-one gets burned at the stake for believing in the same thing but in a different way to others. Bullying about gaming is really, REALLY sad. This Neal guy must be a serious loser to care this much. Sure, at my school there is the occasional bit of teasing and arguing over consoles, but it all ends amiably.

As for racism in games, I think it is stupid to say games are racist because they don't have enough ethnic minorities. If someone important thinks it is wrong it will change-my school books used to say "Bob and Jane have 5 sweets each..." but now its "Bob and Kasim".
Sun 08/07/01 at 20:23
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
being bullied for sticking up for nintendo?
i think dringo should find this kid on his own, jump on him from a great height and beat the stuffing outta him.
Sun 08/07/01 at 19:47
Fish-e wrote:
> Earlier a respected regular who goes by the name of Dringo said
> this:

“When I stick up for Nintendo at School I tend to get hit
> mainly by someone called Neal”

This, I found is terrible. Dringo
> is getting bullied by someone because of something he believes in,
> and believes he should stand by, it is disgusting, what is the world
> coming to???

Both gaming and bullying are everywhere in this
> world, no matter where you go. But I find it disgusting when you can
> stick up for something you believe in with out getting bullied, like
> Dringo here. This “incident” has got me thinking about gaming and if
> it is a cause of bullying, what do you think??? Well, Dringo is not
> the only person subject to this type of bullying because there must
> be hundreds if not thousands of people subject to this

But I
> find this ironic, because usually it is people who know a lot about
> computers and gaming, who get bullied by people who believe that
> this type of stuff, is “geeky”, but now everything has gone mad and
> it is our fellow gamers who are turning on us, solely because you
> believe different things to them.

This brings me to this
> question, are computer games a cause of bullying?? This is a serious
> question to think about, because bullying is a serious matter, it
> can draw people to suicide. I know how it feels when someone does
> this, because an old friend of my, he got bullied for the way he
> dressed and what he liked, and he ended up killing himself, when his
> mother told me I was very upset.

In games nowadays there is
> always a hint of bullying in them, sometimes it is so subtle you
> cannot recognise it but, sometimes it does stand out, and it is
> uncalled for. Bullying is not something that should be taken
> lightly, it can cause great pain to the people are victims to it and
> sometimes to their family as well, and if games can promote this
> then it could become more frequent. It must be stopped, games
> should not be able to promote such things, because it is very
> serious.

---------------

This brings me to the subject of
> Racism.

Racism is everywhere in this world today, no matter where
> you go it is always there. No matter what colour you are, what you
> believe, or what you nationality is you can and will be at least
> once be subject to racial abuse. People who are from Pakistan, or
> who are Indian are usually subject to name calling and sometimes
> things more severe. Racism is everywhere it is not just in reality
> either, it is in films and jokes and there is even hints of it in
> games.

The type of racism in games is not very obvious, but it is
> there. The type of racism in games may not be very harsh, and often
> not offensive to anyone at all, but is still present and noticed.
> Here is a question for you, how many main characters in computer
> games are there, who aren’t white??? Well there is going to be an
> obvious answer of very few.

But this brings to mind another
> question, is this intentional racism/prejudice??? I don’t think it
> is, but is well worth a thought. You may be thinking why I am
> posting something of this nature; well it is something my friend
> pointed, as I should say he is black and rather cheesed of because
> of this petty racism.

“There are so many white characters in
> computer games and not enough black” was what my friend says and he
> classes this as racism and so do I. This is not blatant racism, by
> the companies, but certain ethnic groups can think it as offensive
> and uncalled for. The other type of racism is in a game called
> Conkers Bad Fur Day, the racism in this is not offensive in any way,
> to any human, but It is still classed a racism and it could
> encourage acts of racism in reality.

Bullying and Racism is
> wrong, and people must realise this, because the effects of it could
> be serious.

Thanx for reading

><{{{*>

"Bullying to killings. What's the difference?"

Do games really influence kids?

It's all just opinion, but here's my thoughts on the subject!

oh boy, the good ol columbine thing again, as though we all havent got tired of this after, what, 3 years of hearing about it? i really dont know whats worse, the fact that the whole thing happened, or that fact that theyre actually blaming it on one of the last things that would ever be a reason for shooting people in some country school. i mean come on! who is to say that any game, music, media, or anything of that sort of thing could be the reason for a couple of loony punks who have nuthin better to do than make morons out of themselves do what they did? was there a game maker standing there with a gun to their parents heads telling them to kill all those people or they would shoot their parents or sumthin? was the media there beating them and forcing them to perform this act of utter stupidity? and blaming rock and roll? thats even more ridiculous than the theory of the games being the reason! none of these sources actually "made" them pull and trigger at all. then whats the reason for all this pointless bullcrap? maybe we'll never actually know for sure, since they did the smart thing and ended their lives before someone else could. but there are plenty of things we can think about that could be pretty good reasons. lets see....maybe they were tired of everyones crap, but didnt know how to handle it. see, its people that make outrageous claims like " oh no, better not let our kids watch pokemon, or theyll grow up to be the antichrist!" thats what actually makes people want to do these things! for the love of God, i recently read an article about some town over in the west that was actually going to ban the power rangers from being played!!! they were goin to ban the POWER RANGERS!!!! the only reason the didnt ban it was because a few parents who wanted to retain the dignity of their city argued that "at least it shows how good always triumphs over evil," so on this claim they allowed it to still be shown. folks, this is gettin stupid. and see, because of these morons that went on their little childish rampage, all of us r affected, especially at our own schools! i cant wear the normal clothing i used to, i cant have the same things, im so frickin restricted by everyone over the age of 21 in my school that i cant even have a decent trip to the bathroom without bein monitored!!!! when i cant pee without a big fat perverted guy named mickey watchin me, then we all know somethins wrong. im not exactly sure how i got off subject, but stiil. weve got to think about all this stuff. but back to what i was sayin way up there ^, sometimes instead of blaming something on the actual guilty person, we like to blame it on things that have absolutely no connection to the matter at hand AT ALL. if were gonna blame the media, games, and rock and roll for all this, we might as well blame this whole incident on a tree, or a mountain goat, or how about a toilet? maybe they woke up late one day and missed their favorite tv show and it made em really mad, so they decided to go kill a buncha people. sounds stupid? it doesnt sound any stupider than saying doom is the reason these kids did what they did. its not and stupider than saying the reason is rock and roll. in my own personal opinion, the reason the kids did what they did is because they were like me, except they had no self-control. they were tired of people telling em what not to do, what to do, and they were tired of just little things. sometimes its the little things that make u extremely mad. sometimes i dont even think they were mad. maybe they were just crazy. most of all (and i know a lot of people wont really agree with me or care much about this one) but most of all, their parents are to blame. if they would have taken better care of their children, raised them up in church, taught them about God and what Jesus has done for them and not let them go off on their own yet, then this wouldve probably never happened, and we would never have had to suffer the consequences at school. i end in saying its really not anyones fault that these kids slaughtered the school, except the kids themselves. no one can blame anything at all, except the kids. no one forced them to kill those people. they did it on their own free will, and no one can help that. even as im writing this im sure someone is plotting to go to summer school tommorrow and blow everyone away, and when they do, it wont be anyone's fault but themselves. if uve read all the way down to here, thanx for ur time. cya

"Razorcheeks"
Sun 08/07/01 at 10:50
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
I think Black And White encourages it LoL.
Sun 08/07/01 at 10:41
stupid "Neal" God imagine being bullied because of something you believe in...
Sun 08/07/01 at 01:00
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Night Fish-e.
Sun 08/07/01 at 00:57
LOL

Well i'm off now, night turbo.
Sun 08/07/01 at 00:52
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I suppose you've got a Paul McKenna tape to do that for you.
Sun 08/07/01 at 00:49
I don't need to tell myself that.
Sun 08/07/01 at 00:46
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You just keep telling yourself that Fish-e.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.