GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GAMING: Does it encourage bullying?????? ©"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/07/01 at 03:40
Regular
Earlier a respected regular who goes by the name of Dringo said this:

“When I stick up for Nintendo at School I tend to get hit mainly by someone called Neal”

This, I found is terrible. Dringo is getting bullied by someone because of something he believes in, and believes he should stand by, it is disgusting, what is the world coming to???

Both gaming and bullying are everywhere in this world, no matter where you go. But I find it disgusting when you can stick up for something you believe in with out getting bullied, like Dringo here. This “incident” has got me thinking about gaming and if it is a cause of bullying, what do you think??? Well, Dringo is not the only person subject to this type of bullying because there must be hundreds if not thousands of people subject to this

But I find this ironic, because usually it is people who know a lot about computers and gaming, who get bullied by people who believe that this type of stuff, is “geeky”, but now everything has gone mad and it is our fellow gamers who are turning on us, solely because you believe different things to them.

This brings me to this question, are computer games a cause of bullying?? This is a serious question to think about, because bullying is a serious matter, it can draw people to suicide. I know how it feels when someone does this, because an old friend of my, he got bullied for the way he dressed and what he liked, and he ended up killing himself, when his mother told me I was very upset.

In games nowadays there is always a hint of bullying in them, sometimes it is so subtle you cannot recognise it but, sometimes it does stand out, and it is uncalled for. Bullying is not something that should be taken lightly, it can cause great pain to the people are victims to it and sometimes to their family as well, and if games can promote this then it could become more frequent. It must be stopped, games should not be able to promote such things, because it is very serious.

---------------

This brings me to the subject of Racism.

Racism is everywhere in this world today, no matter where you go it is always there. No matter what colour you are, what you believe, or what you nationality is you can and will be at least once be subject to racial abuse. People who are from Pakistan, or who are Indian are usually subject to name calling and sometimes things more severe. Racism is everywhere it is not just in reality either, it is in films and jokes and there is even hints of it in games.

The type of racism in games is not very obvious, but it is there. The type of racism in games may not be very harsh, and often not offensive to anyone at all, but is still present and noticed. Here is a question for you, how many main characters in computer games are there, who aren’t white??? Well there is going to be an obvious answer of very few.

But this brings to mind another question, is this intentional racism/prejudice??? I don’t think it is, but is well worth a thought. You may be thinking why I am posting something of this nature; well it is something my friend pointed, as I should say he is black and rather cheesed of because of this petty racism.

“There are so many white characters in computer games and not enough black” was what my friend says and he classes this as racism and so do I. This is not blatant racism, by the companies, but certain ethnic groups can think it as offensive and uncalled for. The other type of racism is in a game called Conkers Bad Fur Day, the racism in this is not offensive in any way, to any human, but It is still classed a racism and it could encourage acts of racism in reality.

Bullying and Racism is wrong, and people must realise this, because the effects of it could be serious.

Thanx for reading

><{{{*>
Thu 05/07/01 at 03:40
Earlier a respected regular who goes by the name of Dringo said this:

“When I stick up for Nintendo at School I tend to get hit mainly by someone called Neal”

This, I found is terrible. Dringo is getting bullied by someone because of something he believes in, and believes he should stand by, it is disgusting, what is the world coming to???

Both gaming and bullying are everywhere in this world, no matter where you go. But I find it disgusting when you can stick up for something you believe in with out getting bullied, like Dringo here. This “incident” has got me thinking about gaming and if it is a cause of bullying, what do you think??? Well, Dringo is not the only person subject to this type of bullying because there must be hundreds if not thousands of people subject to this

But I find this ironic, because usually it is people who know a lot about computers and gaming, who get bullied by people who believe that this type of stuff, is “geeky”, but now everything has gone mad and it is our fellow gamers who are turning on us, solely because you believe different things to them.

This brings me to this question, are computer games a cause of bullying?? This is a serious question to think about, because bullying is a serious matter, it can draw people to suicide. I know how it feels when someone does this, because an old friend of my, he got bullied for the way he dressed and what he liked, and he ended up killing himself, when his mother told me I was very upset.

In games nowadays there is always a hint of bullying in them, sometimes it is so subtle you cannot recognise it but, sometimes it does stand out, and it is uncalled for. Bullying is not something that should be taken lightly, it can cause great pain to the people are victims to it and sometimes to their family as well, and if games can promote this then it could become more frequent. It must be stopped, games should not be able to promote such things, because it is very serious.

---------------

This brings me to the subject of Racism.

Racism is everywhere in this world today, no matter where you go it is always there. No matter what colour you are, what you believe, or what you nationality is you can and will be at least once be subject to racial abuse. People who are from Pakistan, or who are Indian are usually subject to name calling and sometimes things more severe. Racism is everywhere it is not just in reality either, it is in films and jokes and there is even hints of it in games.

The type of racism in games is not very obvious, but it is there. The type of racism in games may not be very harsh, and often not offensive to anyone at all, but is still present and noticed. Here is a question for you, how many main characters in computer games are there, who aren’t white??? Well there is going to be an obvious answer of very few.

But this brings to mind another question, is this intentional racism/prejudice??? I don’t think it is, but is well worth a thought. You may be thinking why I am posting something of this nature; well it is something my friend pointed, as I should say he is black and rather cheesed of because of this petty racism.

“There are so many white characters in computer games and not enough black” was what my friend says and he classes this as racism and so do I. This is not blatant racism, by the companies, but certain ethnic groups can think it as offensive and uncalled for. The other type of racism is in a game called Conkers Bad Fur Day, the racism in this is not offensive in any way, to any human, but It is still classed a racism and it could encourage acts of racism in reality.

Bullying and Racism is wrong, and people must realise this, because the effects of it could be serious.

Thanx for reading

><{{{*>
Thu 05/07/01 at 05:49
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
In response to your two questions:

Is gaming responsible for bullying?
Yes of course it is, everyone knows it. The number of times I've played Phantasy Star Online and then gone out and jumped on someone smaller than myself are countless.

Are games racist?
Yes of course they are, it's a worldwide conspiracy by the whiteman to make us believe that other ethnic groups don't exist.

Here's another question:

Does political correctness have ANY place in gaming? Or should we allow the types of games that we play to be censored and therefore more limited in scope?
Thu 05/07/01 at 08:36
Gaming does not encourage bullying, last time I looked the closest to a bullying sim was Black and White!

Gaming is also not racist, or did I just ignore the Black President in Perfect Dark.

Occassionally some people will bully because theyre idiots, the games didnt make them this was its due to genetics and upbringing. Dringo is being bullyied by Neal because Neal is an idiot who is insecure, probably due to some underlying problems. If Dringo liked Sony, or Sega held still be bullied by Neal...If Dringo didnt like games held get bullied for that to.

Summary Neal is an idiot.
Thu 05/07/01 at 09:59
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Neal is just mentally inadequate feels threatens by you. Because you have conflicting beliefs he feels he needs to use his (probably) superior strength to keep you in check. He is just small minded in 2 ways. The first is that he doesn't have the mental capacity to accept that there are other companies out there that can operate in harmony with the company he supports. He is a control freak and needs to control the "opposition". The second way is he has the brain size of plankton and is insecure.

My adivice to Chris is to either tell a teacher or the police. I sensible lawer will also be able to file a very valid lawsuit against him if you want to take it that far.
Thu 05/07/01 at 10:18
Regular
Fish-e wrote:
But I find it disgusting when you can
> stick up for something you believe in with out getting bullied, like
> Dringo here

People all over the world get bullied and killed for their beliefs everday. Look at Northern Ireland, or the Middle East. It all comes down to religion in those cases.

“There are so many white characters in
> computer games and not enough black

So? This isn't racist. IT could just be that research has shown that more white people play games so thats why there are more white characters.
Thu 05/07/01 at 10:30
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I said that ages ago YH. It's because there are more IC1 people in America so that's the target audience.
Thu 05/07/01 at 10:32
Regular
Exactly, which is why there are more male characters than female, simply because there are more female games players than male. Whether it's right or wrong doesn't matter, it's a fact.

Also, most games are set so they require a 'macho' lead character, MGS, Quake etc, so it makes more sense to put a white male as the lead character than a black female.
Thu 05/07/01 at 10:34
Regular
Your Honour wrote:
> simply because there are more female games players than male.

Wrong way round, sorry. Should be there are more male gamesplayers than female.

Apologies.
Thu 05/07/01 at 10:36
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Well the greatest example of a female lead is Tomb Raider.
Thu 05/07/01 at 10:42
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
If anything i think it is the opposite, a recent example is on our school bus. The behaviour on the bus is always pretty terrible, but when i took out my GBA and started playing, people started to gather round and be nice to me just to try and get a shot. Even though i and they knew they would never get a shot they were still trying to be nice anyway. Thank you Nintendo.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.