GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Leaked Xbox 2 info"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 23/06/04 at 12:42
Regular
[URL]http://news.spong.com/detail/news.asp?prid=6994[/URL]

Possibly anyway.

HDD? Still no decision, although "games will have access to a variety of storage devices, including connected devices (memory units, USB storage) and remote devices (networked PCs, Xbox Live)"

Does this mean Xbox2<->PC connectivity i.e. transferring save games, maps, DLC etc?

Interesting.
Wed 23/06/04 at 15:38
Regular
The Xbox 2/Xenon won't have that though. For the Xbox they reported 125 million polygons per character (laughable) but this was announced at the E3 launch with Dead or Alive 3. It was closer to 20 million.

Until Sony go bang out with next generation TV sets in 2006 (much higher resolutions, touch screen etc) consoles will always be at a disadvantage for having a low shot resolution, this is of course unless you buy American games and are lucky enough to have HD-TV with low end monitor resolutions.

It may seem a bit of a poor example but monitor resolutions make a massive difference to the picture quality. Plus with a PC you have a never-ending battle between ATI and Nvidia, Intel and AMD, so on and so fourth. With these companies constantly trying to better each other with each new release I really can't see consoles catching.

With Riddick though you have living proof that minus the monitor resolutions you can have a game which looks literally spell bounding whilst at the same time maintaining decent frame rates. With this though you have to remember the claustrophobic nature of the level design which as you will know with Far Cry it aids the frame rate with around a 50% increase in performance. What we haven't seen yet on a console is a massively open ended game with massively open ended environments with draw dropping visuals and nearly faultless enemy AI; ala Far Cry.

After seeing Splinter Cell 3 running with the X800 XT Platinum you can see already that the next step into a future generation of gaming has already been taken only this will be witnessed this year, not in a few more years time when developers have mastered the Unreal 3 engine.
Wed 23/06/04 at 15:28
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> As long as their is a Java instructions to machine
> code translator, the same Java code WILL run on any platform.
Wed 23/06/04 at 15:16
"I love yo... lamp."
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> By the time it is released PCI Express will be storming the PC market

The thing with this is that is merely a bus technology. The X800 for instance won't be more powerful because of it, it will simply be able to shift the data to the rest of the system faster.

> and more and more games will be using the Unreal 3 game engine which
> is currently being implemented into Splinter Cell 3. I don't believe
> that level of detail will be achieved with the next generation of
> games consoles.

The signs point to the Xenon/Xbox 2 whatever it is called, being more powerful than PCs are, at least initially. To put it into perspective for you, imagine 6 AMD FX-53 processors in the one PC with the successor to the X800 in there as well. I say six because that PowerPC processor is the one slice of silicon, but with three processors on it. And each of those processors has two cores.

PC gaming on the other hand will obviously be dependant on what happens in PC hardware over the next 18 months. Moore's Law about clock speeds doubling every 18 months is no longer true - back in November 2002 the P4 3.06 GHz was released. In the 19 months since then we have only increased clock speeds by 600 MHz, or approx 20 %.

> Being a pretty big PC gamer it takes a lot to
> actually impress me on a console, Ninja Gaiden did/does, as does The
> Chronicles of Riddick which is quite simply the most mind blowing
> game (visually) to ever hit home consoles. Way on track with the
> excellent Normal Mapping, just wish others would take note and start
> to use it as well, after all it is what the Unreal 3 engine will
> utilise mainly.

I understand what you're saying, for a long time I was a PC gamer exclusively. But what happens with the consoles is more down to what the makers do with middleware. With MS having released XNA recently, we've seen a big advance in middleware. Depending on what happens to it between now and release, we could see graphics and physics engines abstracted further from game creation.

Which in a way would be good, because what we do know is that MS will know the hardware of the Xenon better than anyone, hence they should be able to write the most efficient and fast engines. Which would leave the rest of the game down to the developers - which should really sort the men from the boys as it were.

As for the emulation thing Bullett, most of the reasons for poor emulation on PC is not knowing how the hardware works. MS will at least know the internal architecture of the system and the instructions used for various things. To them it would be a simple matter of writing a translator that sits in between the Xenon and the Xbox game.

Think of it along the lines of Java. You get Java applications on virtually every platform, including games on mobile phones. It works because the program is made to run on Java instructions, not ones for the particular processor. Then the platform maker makes the translator for turning the Java instructions into machine code for that platform. As long as their is a Java instructions to machine code translator, the same Java code should run on any platform.
Wed 23/06/04 at 14:12
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Spong is more like a rumour mill, but it's still tres intresant
Wed 23/06/04 at 14:11
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
take anything Spong ever say with a pinch of salt .....
Wed 23/06/04 at 13:49
Regular
Yeah, I see the PS3 being the least interesting console in the next war. Shame it'll most likely be the biggest selling too.
Wed 23/06/04 at 13:44
Regular
"tokyo police club"
I'm not even considering getting the PS3, after they said it was going to be a home entertainment system and such. I just want games, dammit, not tivo and stuff.

And after the abysmal showings on the PS1 and PS2 (I have owned both), it looks likely that Sony won't have anything shocking on the 3rd iteration.
Wed 23/06/04 at 13:42
Regular
Note the exclusion of Sony from Mattribute's post :D

Heh, Luigi's Massive House...
Wed 23/06/04 at 13:40
Regular
"tokyo police club"
I might miss the launch of the next generation of consoles, unless one has a few launch titles that really interest me.

I don't want to be sat replaying 'Luigi's Massive House' the day after the revolution comes out, and I don't want to wait for a few decent titles.

Shock me, M$. Shock me, Ninty.
Wed 23/06/04 at 13:33
Regular
I'm looking forward to Chronicles of Riddick quite a lot now, and SC3 looks fantastic...

Never before has any Console been a match for PC's in terms of graphical and processing power. But put these specs up against what we know about PS3 and Revolution, and it could turn out that Microsoft's planned 'head-start' won't be as risky as previously thought.

Only time will tell though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.