GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Leaked Xbox 2 info"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 23/06/04 at 12:42
Regular
[URL]http://news.spong.com/detail/news.asp?prid=6994[/URL]

Possibly anyway.

HDD? Still no decision, although "games will have access to a variety of storage devices, including connected devices (memory units, USB storage) and remote devices (networked PCs, Xbox Live)"

Does this mean Xbox2<->PC connectivity i.e. transferring save games, maps, DLC etc?

Interesting.
Wed 23/06/04 at 12:42
Regular
[URL]http://news.spong.com/detail/news.asp?prid=6994[/URL]

Possibly anyway.

HDD? Still no decision, although "games will have access to a variety of storage devices, including connected devices (memory units, USB storage) and remote devices (networked PCs, Xbox Live)"

Does this mean Xbox2<->PC connectivity i.e. transferring save games, maps, DLC etc?

Interesting.
Wed 23/06/04 at 12:43
Regular
Oh, and Xbox2 is apparently powerful enough to emulate Xbox1. Riiiiiight...
Wed 23/06/04 at 13:16
"I love yo... lamp."
"The GPU has a peak pixel fill rate of 4+ gigapixels/sec (16 gigasamples/sec with 4× antialiasing). The peak vertex rate is 500+ million vertices/sec. The peak triangle rate is 500+ million triangles/sec. The interesting point about all of these values is that they’re not just theoretical—they are attainable with nontrivial shaders."

Wow. Not much else you can say about that.

As for the processing power of the machine in general, it would easily emulate the Xbox. The CPU is faster than all but the fastest P4 and has 3 cores, in effect meaning you have a 3 processor machine. The graphics chip is based on the successor of the new Radeon X800, possibly its successor even, depending on what happens to the R480 on ATIs timeline. The Xbox one is supposedly to be based on the R500 you see.

The one thing that will be lacking by time of release is the main memory. 256 MB just isn't actually enough. The other reason that needs to be increased is that if there isn't a hard drive then the developers cant use a swap file on the hard drive, i.e. like in Halo. I'd go for a full gigabyte these days.

I'd also trade the 12x DVD drive for a 16x one since they are available.

Still, that would blow every current PC out of the water, and pretty much all in the next year as well.
Wed 23/06/04 at 13:21
Regular
Buh? Well that processor talk went over my head, so I was just basing the emulation issue on current emulators. Only now are they managing to emulate Dreamcast successfully - but it's still not 100%.

If they can emulate Xbox 1, all that will need to be sorted out would be the legal implications regarding NVidia and their permission/co-operation.

Yup, 256Mb of RAM is a bit poor really. If they are planning such a powerful graphics and CPU combination, the RAM will be the achilles heel.

Still, this lot is only rumoured, it hasn't been confirmed as official yet...
Wed 23/06/04 at 13:27
Regular
By the time it is released PCI Express will be storming the PC market and more and more games will be using the Unreal 3 game engine which is currently being implemented into Splinter Cell 3. I don't believe that level of detail will be achieved with the next generation of games consoles. Being a pretty big PC gamer it takes a lot to actually impress me on a console, Ninja Gaiden did/does, as does The Chronicles of Riddick which is quite simply the most mind blowing game (visually) to ever hit home consoles. Way on track with the excellent Normal Mapping, just wish others would take note and start to use it as well, after all it is what the Unreal 3 engine will utilise mainly.
Wed 23/06/04 at 13:33
Regular
I'm looking forward to Chronicles of Riddick quite a lot now, and SC3 looks fantastic...

Never before has any Console been a match for PC's in terms of graphical and processing power. But put these specs up against what we know about PS3 and Revolution, and it could turn out that Microsoft's planned 'head-start' won't be as risky as previously thought.

Only time will tell though.
Wed 23/06/04 at 13:40
Regular
"tokyo police club"
I might miss the launch of the next generation of consoles, unless one has a few launch titles that really interest me.

I don't want to be sat replaying 'Luigi's Massive House' the day after the revolution comes out, and I don't want to wait for a few decent titles.

Shock me, M$. Shock me, Ninty.
Wed 23/06/04 at 13:42
Regular
Note the exclusion of Sony from Mattribute's post :D

Heh, Luigi's Massive House...
Wed 23/06/04 at 13:44
Regular
"tokyo police club"
I'm not even considering getting the PS3, after they said it was going to be a home entertainment system and such. I just want games, dammit, not tivo and stuff.

And after the abysmal showings on the PS1 and PS2 (I have owned both), it looks likely that Sony won't have anything shocking on the 3rd iteration.
Wed 23/06/04 at 13:49
Regular
Yeah, I see the PS3 being the least interesting console in the next war. Shame it'll most likely be the biggest selling too.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.