GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Which do YOU think is the best next-gen console?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/07/01 at 22:11
Regular
Hi, my name's Adam and as now is the time where many of the new geveration consoles have been realeased and there's still this question- whichk is the best? The answer is- none of them you cannot define which is the best. It is up to each individual person. Every console seems to hve it's own things going for it. The Dreamcast WAS the first next- gen console to be released yet, as the saturn did before it it is now pretty much dead. I, being a Dreamcast owner will argue that it shouldn't have happened- it has possibly the best games line up on any games console so far but it's true that sega possibly rushed it, maybve knowing it was their last stab at success. The PS2 has a huge amount of support from Psone owners and it has a few stunning games on it, it also has a stylish image and is attractive to any age of punters but i hate the fact that sony are already palnning the PS3! PS2 owners deserve some longlivety outof their £300 box. Then we come onto the Gamecube- in my opinion this is looking to be the best to be released in the next few years but many people think it looks too childish and thiunk that games will be aimed at children. They need to take some time to look at treasures such as Eternal Darkness and so on. I think i may be going on a bit now so I'll leave you to your opinions on Xbox and the rest. I will be interested to see what you think. Get back to me
Adam
Thu 12/07/01 at 10:08
Regular
"DS..."
well i'm still going to stick by nintendo, iv'e just bought a GBA a few weeks ago and i'm going to buy a gamecube and nobody and nothing will change my mind!
slik ¬_¬
Wed 11/07/01 at 18:37
Your right Bill gates doesn't have anything to do with it but microsoft produced the whole thing the games aren't that bad either and i heard X-Box will be better than any console it will wipe the floor....i've heard much about it i own a n64 i think its pretty good i think i might go with Gamecube because of the pokemon and james bond games.
Wed 11/07/01 at 15:12
Regular
"DS..."
I still reckon that the x-box will suck, it's just Bill Gates trying to be good at everything and he doesnt have anything to do with the x-box he's just paid various companies to build it and make games for it he doesnt care if you like it or not he's just doing it for the money, shiguru myamato on the other hand is a man of genius as he has created some of the best loved nintendo characters like Mario,Zelda,and donkey kong oh and Luigi, everyone forgets about Luigi! At the end of the day if you want a budget pc which will be out of date in a couple of years buy the overhyped x-box, but if you wan't a REAL games machine made by someone who actually cares about the games that go on it then buy the Gamecube because at the end of the day Nintendo always have been,are and always will be the best games company in the world! and i'm behind them every step of the way!...but the question is how many of you are?...
slik !_!
Wed 11/07/01 at 14:23
I think the gamecube will be the second ultimate console to be out for the next 4 years at least. the gamecube offers more power than a ps2 has great games for it too.....but i would stick with X-Box it's more powerful than any PC in the world! and can offer graphics higher than any 3d card ever produced...
Tue 10/07/01 at 18:27
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Discussing the Playstation 3 now is just silly - and worry about how it threatens the PS2 is also not worthwhile. It takes years to develop a console - Nintendo will already be laying down ideas for the GameCubes follow up too, that's how far into the future they need to be looking.

The whole console wars thing is becoming increasingly pointless. The best way was alwasy simply to get all the consoles and if you couldn't afford that get the ones that have the games you want to play - suprise suprise :)

However the "console wars" will be even less needed now due to the fact that they will all be playing very similar hands. All consoles are majorly powerful and the differences between the three in terms of pure grunt are, on a practicle level, very slim. So the X-Box has a GF3 and the Gamecube is running with custom built RAM - so what? When it comes down to it, it is impossible to compare the three as, unlike say comparing two PCs, they all have very different archeticures and therefore it is hard to say how important those, for example, "extra" 50 MHz of CPU processing power are.

The main are will always be software and again there is a growning level of convergance here to. Sony are loosing their exclusive liscences and Sega have now really thrown things up in the air by developing for all three. This means the days of "exclusives" are rapidly dying. You'll simply be able to play, say, Metal Gear Solid on whatever console you happen to have sitting under your television.

So, that in mind someone has an obvious advantage. Nintendo are the only console manufacturer to have a really strong line up of totally exclusive software - obviously as it is in-house work. Now, while the X-Box and the PS2 will have some lesser exclusives, publishers simply are no longer going to miss out on upping their income by pointless (in their eyes) console exclusivity contracts. Therefore AAA titles from third parties are available on pretty much any console. The Gamecause, however, also has a host of AAA titles from their own boys - cleary a Good Thing.

With the GBA and the cheap pricing going their way too it looks rosey for the big N. PS2 will grow due to pointless brand loyalty, but it looks like this round will be a definite leveler between the big two - goodness knows how Microsoft will fair, esipcally in the import hostile Japaneese markets.
Tue 10/07/01 at 17:35
Regular
"DS..."
Yes but most of the games on ps2 are either crap or straight ports from other consoles and are easy to complete if you want the real gaming experience go for the gamecube cos it WILL blow away the competition and it WILL be around LONGER than the overhyped, crap ps2!
slik !_!
Mon 09/07/01 at 18:05
Ild be very curious about the Playstation 3, will Sony stick with the VCR like look of the Playstation 2 or will the new system look like a console. Either way its sure to be popular and powerfull must have machine.

However I wouldnt worry to much about the Playstation2 becomming out of date all of a sudden Industry experts believe the Playstation2 will be the number one home console at least until 2005, which means it should be going strong until at least 2007. £300 for 7 years of happyness isnt bad value :-)
Sun 08/07/01 at 21:54
I'm sure he has!
Sun 08/07/01 at 19:09
Regular
"ur kungfu is no goo"
I hear Dale Winton has ordered a pink game cube?
Sun 08/07/01 at 17:10
The Pink GameCube...it will happen!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.