GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Which do YOU think is the best next-gen console?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/07/01 at 22:11
Regular
Hi, my name's Adam and as now is the time where many of the new geveration consoles have been realeased and there's still this question- whichk is the best? The answer is- none of them you cannot define which is the best. It is up to each individual person. Every console seems to hve it's own things going for it. The Dreamcast WAS the first next- gen console to be released yet, as the saturn did before it it is now pretty much dead. I, being a Dreamcast owner will argue that it shouldn't have happened- it has possibly the best games line up on any games console so far but it's true that sega possibly rushed it, maybve knowing it was their last stab at success. The PS2 has a huge amount of support from Psone owners and it has a few stunning games on it, it also has a stylish image and is attractive to any age of punters but i hate the fact that sony are already palnning the PS3! PS2 owners deserve some longlivety outof their £300 box. Then we come onto the Gamecube- in my opinion this is looking to be the best to be released in the next few years but many people think it looks too childish and thiunk that games will be aimed at children. They need to take some time to look at treasures such as Eternal Darkness and so on. I think i may be going on a bit now so I'll leave you to your opinions on Xbox and the rest. I will be interested to see what you think. Get back to me
Adam
Tue 03/07/01 at 22:11
Hi, my name's Adam and as now is the time where many of the new geveration consoles have been realeased and there's still this question- whichk is the best? The answer is- none of them you cannot define which is the best. It is up to each individual person. Every console seems to hve it's own things going for it. The Dreamcast WAS the first next- gen console to be released yet, as the saturn did before it it is now pretty much dead. I, being a Dreamcast owner will argue that it shouldn't have happened- it has possibly the best games line up on any games console so far but it's true that sega possibly rushed it, maybve knowing it was their last stab at success. The PS2 has a huge amount of support from Psone owners and it has a few stunning games on it, it also has a stylish image and is attractive to any age of punters but i hate the fact that sony are already palnning the PS3! PS2 owners deserve some longlivety outof their £300 box. Then we come onto the Gamecube- in my opinion this is looking to be the best to be released in the next few years but many people think it looks too childish and thiunk that games will be aimed at children. They need to take some time to look at treasures such as Eternal Darkness and so on. I think i may be going on a bit now so I'll leave you to your opinions on Xbox and the rest. I will be interested to see what you think. Get back to me
Adam
Tue 03/07/01 at 22:51
Wow an intelligent post from a newbie, welcome aboard Adam.

I agree with you you cannot define which console is the best, it will be down to not only the console but your taste in games and whether that console provides those games.

I've always believed that any console can be the best provided you buy the right games. I have an N64 and a Playstation and have great games for each console, and love both.

On the Future of Gaming, well I think the X-box may be suprisingly successful although it wont be until 2003 that it starts to shine. By next year the PS2 will be well ahead of the competition and the GameCube will be the only console to threaten the PS2 in 2002.

My opinions aside, independent surveys say that the PS2 will sell 56 million units by 2005, with 32 million units each sold by the X-box and GameCube each.

It probably won't matter what console you buy, as long as you buy the best games that console has to offer you should be happy. :-)
Wed 04/07/01 at 14:16
Regular
"DS..."
I reckon that the gamecube will be the best next-gen console howerver! im not going to go on about how brilliant the gamecube is and how other next-gen consoles look crap in comparison but I am going to tackle the subject of what the game cube looks like.
Firstly yes the original gamecube may be purple, made of plastic, have a handle on the back and generally look like a toy but that is only because Nintendo want to make the console appeal to younger gamers as well as older gamers, they have also proven this by developing a variety of games for the gamecube e.g. meowths party for younger gamers and eternal darkness for older gamers.
Not only this but did you know that Nintendo have also planned to release another version of the gamecube which has dvd and audio/video cd play-back as well as playing games plus the main difference is that this enhanced version of the gamecube is made out of metal which is a silvery gold colur, has a cd tray that slides out instead of popping up and it has a cd track/dvd counter on the top and it looks very cool indeed.
So it just go's to show how much thought Nintendo put into making their consoles as well as their games to suit the individual groups of people who purchase their products because at the end of the day we are the people who have made them what they are today buy puchasing their products and without us...where would they be?
slik ?_?
Wed 04/07/01 at 14:49
Regular
"not dead"
Personally I've decided to get a GAMECUBE.

The reason for this is that I believe that it will have the games that my family and I will enjoy the most.

Mario Party 4 will be a must have title.

Those that argue that Nintendo is just for kids will have to eat their words when they see the likes of Eternal Darkness, Too Human and Metroid Prime.

The PS2 has some strong titles available now, and in the near future. It is bound to be successful for the next few years at the very least.

I'm not sure about the Xbox though. I just can't get into it! I'm sure that Microsoft will do all they can to try to sell it to the people but they really need to stop talking in terms of how powerful it is and start talking about how great the games will be!
Wed 04/07/01 at 18:21
Regular
"Back in black"
I am agreeing with Meka there. The GC is more of a family console than any of it's competitors. As my family are all(bar my mother) gamers- the GC would be ideal.
Wed 04/07/01 at 21:51
I'm with most people here, I'll probably get a Gamecube because of its games and its multiplayer capabilities.

I'm looking forward to nearly all the launch games, especially Wave Race and Smash Bros:Melee.
Wed 04/07/01 at 21:51
I'm with most people here, I'll probably get a Gamecube because of its games and its multiplayer capabilities.

I'm looking forward to nearly all the launch games, especially Wave Race and Smash Bros:Melee.
Wed 04/07/01 at 22:40
I think the X-box could suprise quite a few people, so long as Microsoft delivers the games its promised. Oh and the third party companies do the same.

I just hope Microsoft Provide a Hard Drive wipe option in the ROM of the system, so any viruses Russian coders may program can easily be deleted.

The GameCube has an advantage being a pure Games machine though.
Thu 05/07/01 at 14:32
Regular
"DS..."
Rather than creating an all singing, all dancing multimedia device Nintendo are focusing on really good and highly original games and allways take the innoative approach to create more innovations rather then copying other companys ideas and because of this the gamecube will become the most popular next-gen console and with developers such as Rareware on their side, Nintendo are unstopable, I mean just look at games like Perfect Dark and conkers bad fur day, They allready stand out as high quality games, just think how good the sequels will be!
slik %_%
Thu 05/07/01 at 17:08
Microsoft will have to produce something special to beat Nintendos GameCube. Ive always loved Nintendo games because they are always of such a high quality, and very playable. I just hope a new MarioKart comes out for the GameCube, and that this time the game is customizable unlike Mario64....so you can design your own tracks etc.

It would also be nice if it played more like the Snes original.

Im expecting something special from Nintendo with this...hopefully Nintendo will bundle the Gamecube game with a GameBoyAdvance transfer pack that will allow you to download a subgame into your GameBoyAdvance....That would be special.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.